PDA

View Full Version : my cue doesn't hold chalk

rootb33r
10-08-2003, 02:49 PM
i have a Cuetec Flaming X series cue

i have those sanders that are for tips... i've tried that, it just keeps smoothing out and it won't hold chalk!

is there anything i can do?

9 Ball Girl
10-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Tip Pik?

dg-in-centralpa
10-08-2003, 02:58 PM
I agree.
DG - who swears by Tip Pik

rootb33r
10-08-2003, 03:48 PM
what's a tip pik and where can i get one?

Craig42
10-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Try going to www.billiardsexpress.com (http://www.billiardsexpress.com) for the tip pik

dg-in-centralpa
10-08-2003, 04:43 PM
You can also check www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)

DG

Rod
10-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Make sure your tip has a good radius, like about a nickle. If you don't know be sure to ask someone who does, like a good player or someone that works at the pool room. With a good shape just be sure and chalk after every shot. It is not important the tip looks rough, it will hold chalk anyway. It is natural for a tip to look fairly smooth. Are you having a problem with miscues?

Rod

1Time
10-08-2003, 07:17 PM
I'd also consider the following:
- very lightly and carefully scuff the tip with 100 grit sandpaper, or
- get a new, softer tip, or
- change cues or shafts to one with a wider diameter tip and at least 13mm (to help minimize the risk of miscuing).

hadenball
10-08-2003, 07:34 PM
I heard someone say not to use tip piks if you have a layered tip. I have used a tapper to scuff the tip before but usually lightly scuff it with 100 grit just don't over do it. haden

Sid_Vicious
10-08-2003, 08:14 PM
What Rod said, "It is not important the tip looks rough, it will hold chalk anyway. It is natural for a tip to look fairly smooth."

Are you miscuing a lot more? I gave away all of my tip pics, scuffers, EVERYTHING I used to repeatedly attack a tip with after miscues. Just paint the chalk on and play more center ball. Unless you got an ungodly hard tip, the fix is in your stroke refinement...sid

Fred Agnir
10-08-2003, 08:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rootb33r:</font><hr> i have a Cuetec Flaming X series cue

i have those sanders that are for tips... i've tried that, it just keeps smoothing out and it won't hold chalk!

<hr /></blockquote> Yeah. Use good chalk. I suggest Masters Blue. "Smoothing out" doesn't necessarily mean "doesn't hold chalk."

I wipe my tip off after every session. I wipe it down smooth. I never pick, tap, or scuff. I just take the cue out of the case, and chalk it up.

If you're miscuing a lot, it's most likely your stroke.

Fred

Ralph S.
10-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Could it possibly be a very cheap tip of low quality?

Kato
10-09-2003, 07:35 AM
I've been "Tip Pik-ing" Tailsman's for a little over a year and haven't had one problem yet. I also heard that but sometimes I just gotta Pik /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2003, 07:52 AM
This is the Tip-Pik:

http://www.billiardstore.com/supplies/care-repair/gifs/cuecare/images/Tippiks6_01.jpg

Wally_in_Cincy
10-09-2003, 07:57 AM
I've been using Elk Masters. They're pretty soft, which is what I like. They hold chalk well and I don't have to scuff them nearly as often as LePros.

But if you like a hard tip you would not like Elk Masters.

1Time
10-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Those Tip Picks work great. I forgot I even had one. I haven't done anything with my tip other than chalk it in well over a year. Yah, it might need a little work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scott Lee
10-09-2003, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I wipe my tip off after every session. I wipe it down smooth. I never pick, tap, or scuff. I just take the cue out of the case, and chalk it up.

If you're miscuing a lot, it's most likely your stroke.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

This is EXACTLY what I do. Even after a miscue (which happens to all players occasionally), I just take more care to chalk the spot on the tip I missed before. Roughing and scuffing won't help a poor stroke. Like sid said...brush the chalk on lightly...especially around the edge of the tip...and like Fred said...Masters is BETTER chalk.

Scott Lee

centerpocket
10-09-2003, 01:22 PM
I have found that if you rub the tip on an asphalt surface, the tar mixed in with the tip along with the scuffing of it seems to hold the chalk pretty good!

Fleece3
10-10-2003, 05:50 AM
I suspect you have a LePro tip, they do do this. I have the "Ultimate Tip Tool". Before a session I usuallly give my tip about half a turn in the shaper just to rough it up a little. I haven't miscued in a while. Now that I have said that I will most likely miscue on the money ball next time out...When will I learn?

Alfie
10-10-2003, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote centerpocket:</font><hr> I have found that if you rub the tip on an asphalt surface, the tar mixed in with the tip along with the scuffing of it seems to hold the chalk pretty good! <hr /></blockquote>I hope this is a joke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fred Agnir
10-10-2003, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fleece3:</font><hr> I suspect you have a LePro tip, they do do this.
<hr /></blockquote>I wish all LePros did this. I find good LePro tips will get shiny and hard. Bad ones fuzz up and never become good tips.

Fred

8 ball ho
10-10-2003, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rootb33r:</font><hr> i have a Cuetec Flaming X series cue

<hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like you have on the wrong tip, cheap cues come in with tips that cost a nickle and will not hold chalk. Put a new tip on, problem solved. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif