PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet, Not Satellite-DSL-Cable Opinion

Sid_Vicious
10-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Does anybody have or know someone who has wireless internet? I'm not talking about a wireless router, I'm talking about a system using a small microwave antenna outside the house pointed at a transmit/receive antenna for point to point reception. I just today found that I could get this in my area(DSL & cable not an option for me, satellite cost is ridiculous!) and wanted to know what others may know about this. It supposedly gives 11mbps both directions. Any experience or knowledge about this???sid

Tom_In_Cincy
10-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Sid,

This is rather new to the public. Some traverlers that use wireless technology at work are offered wireless at Airports for small fees.

In some major cities, the wireless is getting more popular.

Here is a link that can explain this Wireless Internet Service Provider (non-satellite)

EarthLink Wireless ISP (http://earthlink.boingo.com/)

Rich R.
10-09-2003, 04:43 AM
A few days ago, there was a story on the local news, that a company has installed one of the wireless receiver/transmitters in the downtown Baltimore area, so people can take their wireless laptops out of the office and use them anywhere in the downtown area. They hope to be installing more units soon.

Obviously, this technology is becoming more common.