PDA

View Full Version : Shaft materials and styles.

Pied Piper
10-08-2003, 06:27 PM
It is about that time in my billiard passion that I would like to get myself a custom cue. Now I know there are hundreds of different styles for inlays (materials, designs, etc), but now my curiousty turns toward the shaft. I asked a custom cue maker about different shaft materials and according to this person, they can be made from this such as macassar ebony, birds eye maple, gabon ebony, tulipwood, and even teak! How does this effect the playability? Also, if you look on the cover of the bca rule book, the yellow and green covered one, it shows a cue resting on a bridge head. The base is standard color, but near the ferrule it is black(ebony i am assuming) wood. Is multiple material in the shaft possible, and again does it effect the playability? Now I play with a predator 314. Can the playability or the building style be mimicked using different woods? Please anyone help me out here with some info!!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
10-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Shafts.. I've only heard of Hard Rock Maple as the recommended material.

Now the butt wood is a whole different story.. all kinds of different hard woods are used and some are very exotic from all over the world. Inlays can be very exotic also.

But, it's Hard Rock Maple for the shafts... that's what I've been told...

pooltchr
10-09-2003, 06:02 AM
There is one brand out there that uses oak for the shaft. Due to the density and weight of oak, these shafts are usually in the range of 10.5 to 12mm. Other than that particular brand, hard maple is the only material I have seen used for good quality shafts.

Pizza Bob
10-09-2003, 08:24 AM
I have seen shafts made of Purple Heart used for breaking - likewise ebony. I believe the shaft you are referring to was a spliced shaft. Brunswick cues from the turn of the century (19th to 20th) often had spliced shafts. The "stock" decorative ones were butterfly splices. Splicing a shaft was also used as a repair. If a shaft had been "re-tenoned" several times - resulting in loss of overall length, B'wick would splice new wood onto the shaft. These repairs were usually a conventional four-point splice and the repair was offered in maple ($.25 if memory serves me correctly) or ebony ($1.00)which gave nice contrast. Don't know of any cuemaker that is splicing shafts today.

Adios,

Pizza Bob