PDA

View Full Version : another story...

marek
10-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi people!
Here I am with yet another story! well, in fact I have 2 stories for you.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif))
Last time I mentioned I would play in team competition. So I did. Our team has won 4 out of 5 matches (me as well), I was struggling with my technique. I have played 1 match of straight pool, 1 match of 9ball and 3 matches of 8ball. I have lost my 9ball match 7-9, it was played on 8ft table and my opponent took full advantage of smaller space... He made two 9s from the break + 5 unwanted safeties...man I was angry but mainly at myself as I did too many mistakes through the match. As I was strugglng with my technique we made the decision that it would be wise for me to play 8ball and this strategy worked as I won all my 8ball matches. In my only straight pool match I have played lot of safeties and ran easy balls so my highest run was about 25...I didnt take any risks as my stroke was really awful on that day. I hope I will play much better next time.

On Saturday there was a first round of 8ball national league with best 32 players participating (3 rounds - best 16 players play at nationals). The system of the competition has changed significantly: instead of shortened double elimination format there is a new system of 8 round-robin-groups by 4 players each. Best 2 players from each group advance to the single elimination bracket. In the group I have won all 3 matches but I had to fight really hard for that. I have been trailing 5-7 in race to 8 with very good player but I kept the pressure on him and it worked. I won 8-7 even with not-so-good game. My second opponent was the weakest player in the whole field and I crushed him 8:3. By the end of this match I started to play a very good game. My last opponent was very good player and our match was one of the most offensive game I ever played. I won 8-6 and the whole match was decided by breaking as we both made only 2 errors from the game! Nice match indeed! So I advanced into the last 16. And I continued with the same style of the game and my opponent apparently wasnt ready for it. I was leading 4-0 and 5:1 and everything seemed perfect. But then I suffered from concentration loss and my opponent started to take advantage of it. He was able to eat on my lead so I was only one game ahead 6-5. Then fortunatelly he did stupid mistake and that was the last thing he did in that match... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I won 8:5. My next opponent was great upset, he won all of his matches in the group which nobody has excepted from him and he surprised his opponent even in last 16 too. So I expected tough resistance. I was right, he was playing great and I had to work really hard to keep his pace in the beggining. But then at 2-2 he broke the rack and went dry...and I let him to the table back when it was 6:2 as my break was working well at the moment... and he wasnt able to return this punch with similar force so I finally defeated him 8:3. So I advanced into the semifinals. My opponent was czech 9ball champion but he CAN play 8ball as well.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif At first I started to give him fine presents and I was really angry at myself. Fortunatelly he did mistake at 2-3 when he missed very do-able 8. I took full advantage of it and he returned to the table at 5-3 when I went dry on the break. Next two games were in fact chess matches as there were clusters everywhere. we both won one game: 6-4. Then he went dry on the break AND that was the last thing he did in that match... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I won 8:4 and advanced into the finals! I must admit that I was quite tired by that time and this tireness took its toll from my game. I was playing bad and my opponent has built his lead very quickly. At 2-6 he somehow lost his concentration and I tried to change the momentum. And I was able to get to 6-6! But then I went dry on the break and that was the last thing I did in that match. I lost 6-8 but I was quite happy with the result and the performance as well.
Idea of the day? Keep the pressure on your opponent, he may break at any moment even if he leads

P.s.: There are 4 spots in each discipline in Czech national team for upcoming Europian Championship (march 2004 I think...) I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get there!!! One more thing: EC will be here in Prague! Can you imagine....in front of the home crowd...wearing shirt with Czech flag on it...my dad would be very proud of me...what a honor it would be!!!! I have to work really hard, such opportunity shouldnt be wasted...

SPetty
10-09-2003, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> P.s.: There are 4 spots in each discipline in Czech national team for upcoming Europian Championship (march 2004 I think...) I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get there!!! One more thing: EC will be here in Prague! Can you imagine....in front of the home crowd...wearing shirt with Czech flag on it...my dad would be very proud of me...what a honor it would be!!!! I have to work really hard, such opportunity shouldnt be wasted...
<hr /></blockquote>Good luck with this marek, we're counting on you!

Kato
10-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Marek, very cool. Way to go and congrats on your finals appearnance. Next time you will win!!!!!!!!!

Kato