PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy 4-sided allen keys

Wally_in_Cincy
10-09-2003, 01:14 PM
The hinges on my shed are attached with socket cap screws whose head is a 4-sided allen key pattern (as opposed to the normal 6-sided hex key). Anyone know any place to but 4-sided allen keys on the web? Home Depot don't got 'em /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cueless Joey
10-09-2003, 01:30 PM
http://www.all-spec.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=vendors&w3site=ALLSPEC&w3vendor=A llen&w3category=Tools&s=g
Maybe this place.

Popcorn
10-09-2003, 01:39 PM
Depending on how tight they are, you can just use a common flat screw driver that will fit diagonally in the corners of the screw. They are a pretty common screw.

Iowashark
10-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I have one, but I'm pretty sure it came with a bathroom shelf unit I bought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fred Agnir
10-09-2003, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The hinges on my shed are attached with socket cap screws whose head is a 4-sided allen key pattern (as opposed to the normal 6-sided hex key). Anyone know any place to but 4-sided allen keys on the web? Home Depot don't got 'em /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote> You might want to go back to Home Depot and ask someone in Hardware to show you where they keep their square recess bits and drivers. They may have been thrown off when you called them 4-side allen wrenches.

If they don't carry them (which would be a shock), then I'd say go to any hardware store. My Home Depot carries all sizes (#1, #2, #3).

Fred

Candyman
10-09-2003, 04:01 PM
If you can't find a wrench, go to the hardware store and get a piece of key steel. They can be purchased in various lengths. If they don't have the right size, get the next size up and grind it down. A pair of vise-grips and some liquid wrench should do the trick. Lock

Rod
10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Wally,
I have a male square drive bit that fits female square drive countersunk head screws. They both come from HD. Is that what you mean?

Rod

stickman
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
You might try the lumber yard. Most lumber yards have a hardware section. These are used a lot in cabinet building.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-10-2003, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wally,
I have a male square drive bit that fits female square drive countersunk head screws. They both come from HD. Is that what you mean?

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Yep.

I'll head back to HD and, as Fred suggested, use the proper nomenclature, or I'll just look till I find them.

Thanks all.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm sure you all have been losing sleep worrying if I found the tool to fix my shed. Thanks to your help I went to Sears and found a screwdriver with 32 interchangeable bits.

It has several Phillips, allen, torx, and square-sided recess bits, and who knows what else. All for $19.95

Tom_In_Cincy
01-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Whew /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I thought Sears had gone out of business in Hamiltucky... Guess I was wrong and Good for Wally getting it all tightened just in the nick of time for Winter..

Now if you could find that special roll of KY Chrome....

TomBrooklyn
01-14-2004, 09:02 AM
It has been hard for me to think of anything else while you have been searching for that square driver. I am glad that you found it.

I like Craftsman brand hand tools from Sears. They are very good quality and they come with a lifetime guarentee against damage or breakage. If you don't lose a Craftsman handtool, you only have to buy it once in your lifetime.

Tom,
who has busted sockets and bent screwdrivers, usually lesser quality than Craftsman ones though.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> It has been hard for me to think of anything else while you have been searching for that square driver. I am glad that you found it.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <font color="blue">That's why I posted the update. It would be unkind to leave so many concerned souls with that much tension. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

I like Craftsman brand hand tools from Sears. They are very good quality and they come with a lifetime guarentee against damage or breakage. If you don't lose a Craftsman handtool, you only have to buy it once in your lifetime.

Tom,
who has busted sockets and bent screwdrivers, usually lesser quality than Craftsman ones though.

<font color="blue">I have found it fiscally prudent,in the long run, to purchase the best quality tools I can possibly afford. I have had the best luck with Stanley and Craftsman. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
01-14-2004, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's why I posted the update. It would be unkind to leave so many concerned souls with that much tension.
<hr /></blockquote>

Well that really puts my mind at ease. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif However I could have pounded one out from 1/4" steel rod by now. LOL Thats why they call me rod. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2004, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>..I could have pounded one out from 1/4" steel rod by now. LOL

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="blue">I bought it months ago. I just forgot to report back. And I know how you are about that. Plus I knew folks would be losing sleep over such a dilemma /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif</font color>

Thats why they call me rod. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Oh. I thought there was another reason /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SPetty
01-14-2004, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>Thats why they call me rod.<hr /></blockquote>Geez, there goes another fantasy all shot to hell... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
01-14-2004, 04:18 PM
steel rod /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

jeez a tough crowd here. LOL

Troy
01-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Check this out --- http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&amp;vertical=TOOL&amp;pid=00 941141000
It's a "#1 Robertson" made by Craftsman at $4.19 each. I have a #1 &amp; #2 which fits the bumper screw in most Dufferin house cues. Very handy...

Troy

stickman
01-14-2004, 10:46 PM
I didn't realize you were still looking for them. I'm glad that you finally found them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree on Craftsman and Stanley tools. They are both high quality. I used to have nothing else but Craftman's, but I'm well satisfied with the Stanley tools I've boughten.

Foxtrott
01-21-2004, 02:42 AM
Its called a HUX Bit . They are in the larger bit sets for your screw guns . I got mine off the snap on truck but they have them at sears or any hardware store.

TomBrooklyn
01-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Just curious, what does Snap-On Charge for a #1,2 and 3 Hux bit? Go ahead, I'm sitting down now.

eg8r
01-21-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, what does Snap-On Charge for a #1,2 and 3 Hux bit? Go ahead, I'm sitting down now. <hr /></blockquote> One meeeeeliiiioooooon dollars. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r