PDA

View Full Version : A league Story , (Long)

Gayle in MD
10-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Some of you may recall, I play in a league which is somewhat based on APA rules. There are no handicaps, just a five person line up on each team, captains exchange lists of shooters right before the match begins. Also, there was a fantacy team throughout that used players from other teams each week because they didn't have enough players in the beginning, but by the end they had eight players on their team to use, therefore in my mind, they were no longer a fantacy team.

My team had maintained first place mostly all the way through. On the last evening (final play off) I saw the captain of team 3, that was in second place, come in and make a bee line for the captain of team six, the team we were playing that evening in our final match, and captain 6, who had been practice shooting with several of us on my team, gave every indication that he was shooting that night. Team six had been in last place throughout, and team 3 was shooting against a better team than we were, so it was just about a cinch that we would win the tournament since we were about sixteen points ahead of team 3.

Next, in walks the LD, who had been less than impressive throughout as a LD, (I had to correct his numbers every week) He goes over to the other two and I am watching this bunch with their heads together, the other two captains and the LD, so then the LD makes an announcement that some folks have been bumped up. Now this is the last night, and he bumps up three of my players, which means that I can't play my only seven.

We get ready to shoot and I am looking for the captain of the so called fantacy team, team 6, only to learn that he has suddenly had to leave and can't shoot, some kind of energancy at work, (He does sheet metal work, LOL) and another of his players walks out the door, and then I learn that team 3, (second place team) has planted their seven, who has the top shooting percentage in the league, to replace him, (He is a two) along with another shooter replacing a lower ranked player, who is ranked higher than the guy he is replacing.
The captain of team 3 didn't like me and I am sure he didn't like my team being in first place, and also, the LD probably didn't appreciate the fact that every week I was pointing out to him that he couldn't add, LOL.

I was pretty hot about all this, and all they would do when I approached them was smirk, and say, "Well, it's legal"

Bottom line, we kicked their a$$es anyway, and won the league, but after that, I learned that when one of my guys appoached the captain of team 3 before the match, saying "Come on dude, you know this isn't right," he answers, "If it wasn't Gayle's team, I wouldn't have pulled it" basically admitting that he had some kind of grudge against me personally. This was news to me at the time.

If this isn't bad enough, another guy on another team, who is supposed to be a friend of mine,.... I learn later that he was in on helping them plan the strategy, advising captain 3 who should plant on my team and who he should shoot on his team in order to have the best chance to beat us.

The kicker in this story is that every team in that league was awarded points they would never have gotten because I was the only person in the league who took the time to go to each captain every week and keep track of the points.

My question is, what's your opinion of these three guys, and do you think my so called friend is really a friend?

Then, the third week of the winter league, captain 3, same guy, the ball-less wonder, sends a gal on his team that he knows I like, over to me to ask if he can substitute another player other than the player on his roster, who isn't there to shoot in time, to play against my team, and the new league director, my so called friend, tells me my whole team has to wait fifteen minutes for his guy to get there, or let him substitute another shooter.

The good in all this is that I was so proud of my team the way they shot on that last evening of the summer league in spite of all the BS that had upset all of us early in the night. I guess they showed them all who the Champions were!

Thank you in advance for your input, can't wait to hear what you guys think of this!

Gayle in Md., walk softly and carry a big stick!

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2003, 07:18 AM
If it was me I'd walk over to my "friend" next time I saw them and say "Thanks, I now know something about you I never knew", walk off w/o another word, and I'd remember what just happened. It was beneath reproach...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
10-10-2003, 07:40 AM
That's bullcrap. They tried to hose you guys...and girls.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
There are no handicaps,

<font color="blue">In that case it would be expexted that one team would dominate. Is that a surprise to anybody? </font color>
....he has suddenly had to leave and can't shoot, some kind of energancy at work, (He does sheet metal work, LOL)

<font color="blue">Yep. Doctors and sheet metal workers are never truly off the clock /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

The captain of team 3 didn't like me

<font color="blue">Is he a Republican? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

Bottom line, we kicked their a$$es anyway, and won the league,

<font color="blue">Good for you. </font color>

...he answers, "If it wasn't Gayle's team, I wouldn't have pulled it" basically admitting that he had some kind of grudge against me personally. This was news to me at the time.

<font color="blue">Maybe it isn't personal. Maybe he just meant that you guys had such a good team you deserved to be at a disadvantage for once. </font color>

My question is, what's your opinion of these three guys, and do you think my so called friend is really a friend?

<font color="blue">I think you already know the answer to that. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

That was truly "dirty pool"

Kato
10-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I play with the guys I play with on league. We are friends. Not "pool room aquaintences", friends. We actually do other things together. Whether it be going to lunch or playing golf or going to a ball game. "Pool room aquaintences" aren't really friends, they are just friendly people. Watch out who you call a friend, they may just be looking out for themselves.

Kato

Rich R.
10-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Any rule that allows teams to substitute players from other teams is bad. It leaves the door open for the situation you described.

Congrats on the outcome, and now you know who your friends are.

You and your real friends may want to look for a league with better rules.

Optimus_P
10-10-2003, 07:55 AM
if you have to question a friendship then its not much of a friendship.

life is full of aquantinces and not many true friends.

CrispyFish
10-10-2003, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Optimus_P:</font><hr>life is full of aquantinces and not many true friends. <hr /></blockquote>
Ain't that the truth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gayle in MD
10-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Hey Kato, brace youself, the "Friend," is one of the guys from my old neighborhood, I grew up a block away, he's supposed to be a good friend of mine, and atleast one of my other guys has known him all his life too. The captain of team 3 is his former brother-in-law, and they are good friends. Also the "friend" in question who gave the advice doesn't think he shouldn't have. I used to be on his team, until I formed my own team. Basically, his team and part of my team are friends of old. He says, "Well, he asked my opinion, and I gave it to him, I would have done that for anyone."
The captain of team 3, who pulled all this BS, says, "I don't think I did anything wrong, I think I just used good strategy" Also justified it by saying that I was always calling fouls, and needed to learn more about "Pool Etiquette" I said, "Excuse me?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I didn't know you had to have two balls swinging between you legs to call a foul in this league," /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifLOL

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Go figure!
Gayle in Md.

Kato
10-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Some people just look at winning to justify all problems. I just think it sucks for you that it happened. You exacted the best revenge by winning.

Kato

Gayle in MD
10-10-2003, 09:34 AM
I agree Rich, my feeling being that if you are a team captain, you should have it together enough to be able to get enough people together for a team, and see that you use people you can depend on to be there every week. They allowed the fantacy team in order to prevent the need for a bye for each team. I think a bye is much less potentially destructive for the league than a "Fantasy team."
And speaking of rules, I wondered what you guys think of this league having a rule that allows the captain to change the assigned shooter on their line up with another shooter from their team if the first shooter doesn't show up in time to shoot. My feeling is if your shooter doesn't get there in time for the shooting to be continuous, you should have to forfeit the points for that match, and shouldn't have put someone down on your line up in the first place if you weren't sure they would be there in time to shoot. You shouldn't be able to substitute another player from your team after you have turned in your line up to the opposing Captain.
My "Friend" is the new LD, and two weeks ago Captain 3, (His former brother-in-law)wanted to substitute a player for one that wasn't there mid way through the evening. My "Friend" ruled that I could either allow him to substitute another shooter, or wait for the other guy to get there, but Captain 3 would under no circumstances have to forfeit any points. He then held a captains meeting and said plainly "There will be no forfeits in this league, we are here to shoot pool."
A week later, he (LD/"friend) shot against a team who was missing players. He scruffed up on all the forfeit points, and said that was different, because that captain didn't have any players to substitute. My question is, why didn't he let THAT captain get people from other teams after stating "No forfeits."
Gayle in Md.

CarolNYC
10-10-2003, 10:45 AM
TAp!TAP!TAP!
And Gayle,
Im glad you won!
Good for you!
Carol:)

9 Ball Road Pro
10-10-2003, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> That's bullcrap. They tried to hose you guys...and girls.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
There are no handicaps,

<font color="blue">In that case it would be expexted that one team would dominate. Is that a surprise to anybody? </font color>
....he has suddenly had to leave and can't shoot, some kind of energancy at work, (He does sheet metal work, LOL)

<font color="blue">Yep. Doctors and sheet metal workers are never truly off the clock /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

The captain of team 3 didn't like me

<font color="blue">Is he a Republican? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

Bottom line, we kicked their a$$es anyway, and won the league,

<font color="blue">Good for you. </font color>

...he answers, "If it wasn't Gayle's team, I wouldn't have pulled it" basically admitting that he had some kind of grudge against me personally. This was news to me at the time.

<font color="blue">Maybe it isn't personal. Maybe he just meant that you guys had such a good team you deserved to be at a disadvantage for once. </font color>

<font color="blue">I think you already know the answer to that. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

That was truly "dirty pool" <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, dirty pool, tap, tap, tap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JPB
10-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Ever notice how many posts about leagues could be written about 6 year olds playing in a sandbox fighting over the plastic shovel? If you like leagues get used to it. The behavior you encountered is what leagues are about. It will happen over and over. If you don't like it, don't play in a league. Very simple. I learned this when I was 21 or 22 and saw 50 year old guys thinking about getting in a gunfight over the rules, ref, Tonka Truck, or whose dad was stronger. It is all stupid.

Qtec
10-10-2003, 11:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> Ever notice how many posts about leagues could be written about 6 year olds playing in a sandbox fighting over the plastic shovel? If you like leagues get used to it. The behavior you encountered is what leagues are about. It will happen over and over. If you don't like it, don't play in a league. Very simple. I learned this when I was 21 or 22 and saw 50 year old guys thinking about getting in a gunfight over the rules, ref, Tonka Truck, or whose dad was stronger. It is all stupid. <hr /></blockquote>

I was just about to say "Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?".

Over here, we all want to win, but we keep it friendly.

Its all about enjoyment ; being able to relax and have a bit of fun.
Isnt it?

Q