PDA

View Full Version : Wax on the cue?

CrispyFish
10-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Hi,

Yesterday I got my cue back with a new tip (Hercules medium, woohoo!) and ferrule (lesson: put tape on the ferrule before trimming a tip). As an added bonus, the guy cleaned the shaft -- but he left some sort of waxy residue on it which makes it stickier than it was before

My questions are: a) what is the waxy residue, and b) will it do any harm if I gently sand down the first 10 inches or so of the shaft to make it ultra-smooth again?

Thanks,
-CF

Wally_in_Cincy
10-10-2003, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> Hi,

Yesterday I got my cue back with a new tip (Hercules medium, woohoo!) and ferrule (lesson: put tape on the ferrule before trimming a tip). As an added bonus, the guy cleaned the shaft -- but he left some sort of waxy residue on it which makes it stickier than it was before

My questions are: a) what is the waxy residue,

<font color="blue">The guy that used to do my tips used some type of wax like maybe surfboard wax, I can't remember. It wore off pretty quick and was not a problem. Just ask the guy not to do that next time. </font color>

and b) will it do any harm if I gently sand down the first 10 inches or so of the shaft to make it ultra-smooth again?

<font color="blue">I would try cleaning it first. Be careful with the sanding.
</font color>

<font color="red">Read this: </font color>

sanding thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=79240&amp;page=&amp;vie w=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

Thanks,
-CF <hr /></blockquote>

Greg Adams
10-10-2003, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> Hi,

My questions are: a) what is the waxy residue,

<font color="blue">The guy that used to do my tips used some type of wax like maybe surfboard wax, I can't remember. It wore off pretty quick and was not a problem. Just ask the guy not to do that next time. </font color>

and b) will it do any harm if I gently sand down the first 10 inches or so of the shaft to make it ultra-smooth again?

<font color="blue">I would try cleaning it first. Be careful with the sanding.
</font color>

<font color="red">Read this: </font color>

sanding thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=79240&amp;page=&amp;vie w=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

Thanks,
-CF <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

I have had people wax my shafts before, I don't care for it either. It will wear off soon, but you can just sand it down if it bothers you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pizza Bob
10-10-2003, 01:53 PM
As wally recommends, I'd avoid sanding at all costs. If you want to remove it, I'd suggest naptha. It has been widely touted in this forum as a good solvent to clean shafts, and if it is a wax that was applied, the solvent nature of naptha should make quick work of it. You may want to burnish the shaft after using the naptha.

Adios,

Pizza Bob &lt;----Biting his tongue trying not to make an off-color joke about waxing one's shaft.

CrispyFish
10-10-2003, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr>Pizza Bob &lt;----Biting his tongue trying not to make an off-color joke about waxing one's shaft. <hr /></blockquote>
It's okay, Mr. Pizza. I had to phrase my question VERY carefully, if you know what I mean... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh, and thanks all for your advice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-CF &lt;--- will never wax his shaft again. &lt;-- oops! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif