PDA

View Full Version : Handicaping

Terry
10-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Hi all, I'm just a small town shooter with a lifetime passion for the game. The last couple of years i've been content shooting weekly ( 8-ball )tournaments in my home town but last year they tailed of to the point of extinction. I learned that they had weekly 9-ball ( which I prefer ) tournaments in a town 40 miles down the road which are handicapped. I would love to play bigger tournaments in the cities but my family commitments are full and besides my daughter plays so when I make an overnight trip to the city it's for her to play. Anyways, I started playing in these handicapped tournaments once in a while just to get a tournament in. They started me as a 6 HC with 10 being the highist HC. I won my first tournament as a 6 and they bumped me up to an 8 for my next one, I won that one as well, so for my third they bumped me up to a 9 which I lost. This year i've only made it to six tournaments in which my handicap stayed as a 9, the thing is that I won all six and they didn't bump me up to a 10. Some players are telling me I should be a 10 when I play them, I tell them I don't care what my handicap is that I just want to play a tournament once in awhile.I also told the people heading the tournaments that it dosen't matter to me what my handicap is, but I don't think it's my place to request to bumped up. Terry

Alfie
10-10-2003, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Hi all, I'm just a small town shooter with a lifetime passion for the game. The last couple of years i've been content shooting weekly ( 8-ball )tournaments in my home town but last year they tailed of to the point of extinction. I learned that they had weekly 9-ball ( which I prefer ) tournaments in a town 40 miles down the road which are handicapped. I would love to play bigger tournaments in the cities but my family commitments are full and besides my daughter plays so when I make an overnight trip to the city it's for her to play. Anyways, I started playing in these handicapped tournaments once in a while just to get a tournament in. They started me as a 6 HC with 10 being the highist HC. I won my first tournament as a 6 and they bumped me up to an 8 for my next one, I won that one as well, so for my third they bumped me up to a 9 which I lost. This year i've only made it to six tournaments in which my handicap stayed as a 9, the thing is that I won all six and they didn't bump me up to a 10. Some players are telling me I should be a 10 when I play them, I tell them I don't care what my handicap is that I just want to play a tournament once in awhile.I also told the people heading the tournaments that it dosen't matter to me what my handicap is, but I don't think it's my place to request to bumped up. Terry <hr /></blockquote>Noted.

Next!

Terry
10-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Alfie, my apologies if I sounded like I was standing on a mountain with my chest stuck out, I thought that pointing out the fact that I was a small town player would put things in perspective as far as my abilities go. I was like I said starving for the odd tournament to play in close to my home. I don't much enjoy having players feeling like i'm trying to slip in under the radar as far as my handicap is concerned. I'm getting the feeling that some players think that I should just say i'm a 10 because their not moving me up, is this the correct thing to do? Thanks, Terry

Alfie
10-10-2003, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Alfie, my apologies if I sounded like I was standing on a mountain with my chest stuck out, I thought that pointing out the fact that I was a small town player would put things in perspective as far as my abilities go. I was like I said starving for the odd tournament to play in close to my home. <hr /></blockquote>You didn't sound like you were bragging. I thought you were just stating fact and weren't seeking any kind of a response. Ergo 'noted, next.'

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> I'm getting the feeling that some players think that I should just say i'm a 10 because their not moving me up, is this the correct thing to do? Thanks, Terry <hr /></blockquote>the 'correct' thing to do? Hell, I don't know.

Though I am curious as to why the powers that be haven't raised thee up.

Terry
10-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Alfie, sorry for MY misunderstanding. Terry

Chris Cass
10-12-2003, 06:59 AM
You right! It's not your place to HC yourself, it's the TD's job. Just play and when a player tells you that you should be a 10. Tell them, you should wear a dress. hahahaha

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry
10-13-2003, 04:01 AM
Hi Chris, I think i'll probably do as you say except the you should wear a dress part, LOL. The guys are pretty good about the HC, they aren't aggressive when they say I should have a higher HC, the comment is just dropped if you know what I mean. C.C. it's great to see your name springing back up on the board again, hope you get back to 100% + soon. Thanks, Terry

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> You right! It's not your place to HC yourself, it's the TD's job. Just play and when a player tells you that you should be a 10. Tell them, you should wear a dress. hahahaha

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
10-13-2003, 06:11 AM
Hi Terry,

I assumed they weren't but I like to shock the people that drop the hint too. It's funny don't you think? hahahha Well, what do you expect from a cornboy in corn country? LOL Great to see your posts again too buddy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.