PDA

View Full Version : The Best Hamburger In The Country For The Money

TomBrooklyn
04-12-2002, 08:15 PM
- What is the best HAMBURGER in the United States Of America for the money?

- Would anyone say it is the Burger served at Q-Masters Billiards? http://www.q-masters.com/

- This Burger is claimed to be world famous. Have you ever heard of it before now?

- As a control group for comparison, have you ever heard of a Nathan's Hot Dog?
- Do you know where Nathans is?
- Would you consider a Nathans Hot Dog as one of the best hot dogs in the world at any price?

Retardo
04-12-2002, 08:39 PM
Ive been there and had at least three of them over the years. They werent even famous in the room itself and were totally ordinary.(sorry Brady) I liked the BBQ sandwhich more. Prices were indeed extraordinarily low for both though.

If you want to get a rep for food there Brady- 3 suggestions-

1.Do something with that "kitchen area"- It is totally unappetizing.

2.Go to fresh cut french fries. There is nothing easier and it makes a world of difference.

3. Have a smoke free eating area- who can taste the food with all that smoke in the air? My hamburger was coughing for cryin out loud.

Ill be back regardless.

The best burger for the money in the country as of 5 years ago was at MANEROS Restaurant in Greenwich CT. You got it to go from the Butcher Shop attached, It was about 1/2 lb- was served on a full size crusty hero and came smothered with deep fried onions. The price then- $2.50- Now im guessing $3.50 but easily worth $10

cuechick
04-12-2002, 09:41 PM
This is the easiest question I have seen posted, I have absoultley no hestatoin to answer IN and OUT Burger is the BEST!!!! I am sure all the west coast posters will confirm this! ( since they have no IN & Out's west of Vegas and believe me I will be hitting one when I am there/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif)

Rod
04-12-2002, 10:19 PM
CC, yes I have heard of them. Tommy's in LA on Rampart Blvd had the best burgers. They also have a place up north, in the valley, never have been there. It was a 1/2 pounder with a huge slice of onion and tomato. But wait thats not all, you also get, (whether you wanted it or not) a ladel of their great chili. Eat that pup and you have a stomach that is real heavy. I use to go back there for the races at Ontario and at Pomona (Winternationals) and always stopped in. I always brought home a couple of gallons of chili! Never try to play pool after a visit! There is so many places in the US, that this is really up for grabs.

Tommy_Davidson
04-12-2002, 11:22 PM
> High Pockets in Memphis was voted as having the best hamburger in Memphis 3 years in a row by a food critic that writes for the Commercial Appeal,which is the Memphis newspaper. Barry's burger is quite good,though in my opinion it is nowhere near as good as their steak sandwich. For the record though,Starcher's in Akron has the best buffalo wings in the northern hemisphere,no competition. Tommy d.

04-12-2002, 11:58 PM
Tom...My vote goes to Billy Goats, on the Chicago River, just 1 block north of the Loop (Chicago, IL). They have been serving the best burgers in the midwest for decades!
Up in Montana where I live, the best burger in Montana can be found every day at the Missoula Club, on Front St., in downtown Missoula, MT. Both are GREAT burgers, and both are under $5!

Scott Lee

Rod
04-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Tommy I got one of those awards, it was the best of Phoenix in 93 or 94. They said our cues were as straight as Mother Teresa. I don't know personally how straight she was, but I'm guessing she was! We had a couple of shoots there, that never made the big screen, but was intertainment. There was no write up about our burgers, but I am sure it was an oversite. Ha Ha Ha Ha! One Paul Newman was there and he never complained. Good enough for me! Glory Days, in the wink of a young girls eyes, Glory days. Bruce S.
I hope your little lady is pocketing balls now! You need a retirement! Just kidding as you know. Has there been any sighting of Weldon Rogers? Do you know him? He could play!

Vagabond
04-13-2002, 12:19 AM
Hello Mates,

Any place in South Dakota that serves BUFFALOW Burgers.

Any WHATABERGER in TEXAS.

Vagabond

stickman
04-13-2002, 01:48 AM
There is a bar here in town (Perez's) that serves a pretty mean burger. This is one of the less roudy bars. Big Ernie will bounce you out if you act up in his bar. He used to sponser my league team years ago. He has a double patty 1/2 pounder on a huge bun, with all the fixings for (if I remember correctly) $4.00 or $4.50. Oh yeah, you get a plate full of homemade fries. Everything is made fresh, and as you might suspect from the name of the place there is some great Mexican food there also. If you're not real hungry, you can't eat it all. It might not be the best in the country, but it's got to be there in the running.

Doctor_D
04-13-2002, 06:32 AM
Good morning:

Texas Weiners II on Route 22 in Green Brook. 8oz burgers smashed and cooked to order. Awesome!

Dr. D.

Kato
04-13-2002, 07:06 AM
CheeBurger CheeBurger in downtown Ft. Lauderdale gets my vote. The Texas Burger at Longhorn steakhouse is a real eye opener though. Toasted kaiser roll, 1/2 burger, lettuce, tomato, onion, chilli (weak), cheddar cheese, bacon, mushrooms, sourcream. It's about 8 inches tall. Close runner up for my money is Fudrucker's.

Kato~~~loves burgers.

04-13-2002, 07:15 AM
This is a pool board--and the Corner Pocket in Binghamton, NY has a great burger. Not obscenely large, not kitschy with strange ingredients. Just a freshly made, wonderfully cooked burger with the works. I head there for lunch, and grab a table for a while. Great combination.

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2002, 07:28 AM
For the money? Maybe Wendy's triple burger. Yea, it's not gormet but for under 3 bucks you got a real meaty, tasty meal. The question did say "for the money" so I wouldn't have to look much further than Wendy's.

Tell ya another place I like is Keller's Drive-in in Dallas. The No. 5 comes with a special sauce, cold long necks of premium beer is $1.10 and they deliver to the car, just turn on the headlights when you need anything. With fries & tip you get away for under $6! The best part is that it is 200 ft of the PH, so you can get a cheap buzz before going to bar prices plus you have "food fuel" for those long evenings chasing pennies.

Some of the burgers y'all mentioned here sounds super! Sounds like a road trip in search for burgers is a good thing to plan...sid

04-13-2002, 08:01 AM
When your in my home town, Columbia, SC...stop in the Palace Restaurant and Pool Room (a block and half form the statehouse) on US-1, and ask O'Dell to fix you one of his burgers...I won't claim that it is the best in the country...but once you meet O'Dell...it won't matter cause you will have a fine time while you're there...Be sure and ask for a small bowl of his cole slaw though...Now that' a real winner...

Ron Chapiesky in SC

jjinfla
04-13-2002, 08:25 AM
Hey Anon, That's "Cheezeburger, cheezeburger, Coke, no Pepsi". As long as I lived in Chicago I never stopped at Billy Goat's. Weren't they only open for lunch? Jake

jjinfla
04-13-2002, 08:40 AM
Tom, You switched from hamburger to hot dog in less than 50 words. I still think the best hamburger to cook at home is Smithfields precooked frozen beef patties. Pop one in the microwave. 90 seconds on one side. Flip and heat for 60 more seconds. Drain off juice and serve. Absolutely the best. No shrinkage, juicy, and oh, so tasty. I am salivating just thinking about it. Brady, try them, you'll love them. And you can buy them retail at Walmart for less than a buck. No fuss, no mess, no spoilage. Jake

Nostroke
04-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Been there many times- Good burger, Better homefires-Breakfast is great.

When you see a couple old ladies behind the counter cooking somewhere (Corner Pockets), chances are its gonna be fresh/good. If you see a couple of 18 y.o with nose rings, you can count on some FROZEN CRAP!!!!

JimS
04-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Whitey's Bar & Billiards in Burlington Iowa has the best burger I can remember having been able to buy. 1/2 lb cooked to order served with spiced potato wedges. I drive the hour to get there just for the burger sometimes.

Brady_Behrman
04-13-2002, 09:21 AM
The world Famous Barry Burger at my Q-Masters. Even though i eat one 3 times a week, They are still the best IMO. We beat our meet every day..lol..its true though...Thanks Tom...

Brady Behrman

04-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Hey, Jake! It's ME, Scott! LOL I'm just using a friends computer, while I'm visiting here in Augusta for the Masters! Yes, Billy Goats is only open for lunch. When Bill Sianis has made a fortune serving burgers for only a few hours a day...why be open more? LOL

Scott Lee

Voodoo Daddy
04-13-2002, 11:52 AM
For those of you that wanna know where the biggest, tastiest burger on the face of the planet...its down here in Miami,Fl...at P.J.Mulligans and its called the KONG BURGER. Somewhere between 3/4 and a pound of cow, with every and any known condiments applied. Kato did mention Cheeburger Cheeburger...we have one too, right down the street. The KONG gives their burger the last 3 and the smash...bet on it.

Voodoo...didnt get to be 380lbs without learning something about food!!

04-13-2002, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Tom...My vote goes to Billy Goats, on the Chicago River, just 1 block north of the Loop (Chicago, IL). They have been serving the best burgers in the midwest for decades!

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

billy goats?? gotta be the same place immortalized by mike royko. lower level, below michigan ave, maybe a block from the tribunes' loading docks. ate there maybe a million times when i was working for the trib as a teenager.

can't remember the original owners real name anymore...something like "galapakis the wiley greek" per royko. used to have to be real careful about getting printers ink all over your clothes.

dan

Barbara
04-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Are you referring to the Pocket Billiard Lounge in Binghamton?

Barbara~~~loves The Spot diner up there...

Nostroke
04-13-2002, 06:39 PM
Yes thats the one Barbara- Florence's place. I took the Poster (Scott) to be right on the name although it didnt seem correct-There aren't 2 rooms in Binghamton are there? Nah-cant be in that town!

Doctor_D
04-13-2002, 07:07 PM
Good evening Barbara:

I am always in search of a GOOD diner. Where in Binghamton is the Spot Diner?

Dr. D.

04-13-2002, 08:22 PM
dan...Yep! That's it! The same owner (Bill Sianis) still runs the joint!

Scott Lee

Cuemage
04-13-2002, 08:45 PM
Tha best burgers are marinated &amp; cooked with malt beer (keeps it juicy)...deeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

Tha Cuemage

Cuemage
04-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Fuddrukers makes awesome burgers!

Vagabond
04-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Hello Dr.D,

You have to visit our south and try breakfast at any WAFFLE HOUSE and let us know what u think about the experience.
vagabond

Rod
04-14-2002, 04:04 AM
Tom, I have to add, when I was a young boy we traveled through Enid Oklahoma. They had a burger I swear was 6" in diameter. They had to of made their own buns! It come with pickles and onion standard. The price for this amazing burger was 25 cents! I couldn't eat the whole thing. Of course on the other hand I lived in Colo Springs, and at a drive inn their burgers was 13 for a dollar! Someone mentioned Fuddruckers and I think for a franchise they have the best burgers. Man, big ole slice of onion and tomato and a heap of lettuce! Ummmmm

TomBrooklyn
04-14-2002, 04:40 AM
If you want to go back a ways Rod, I remember when White Castle Hamburgers were 12 cents each. My dad would take the family to the one at Nungessers which is a major intersection in North Bergen, NJ directly across the Hudson river from Manhatten. We ate in the car. Waitresses on roller skates took our order and delivered the food on trays that hung off of the windows after you rolled them most of the way down. Nowadays, cars come with windows in the rear that don't even roll all the way down. I would never buy such a car on principal alone. Anyway, that White Castle is still there, along with a bunch of others in the chain, but now the basic burger is forty-two cents and the waitresses are long gone.

I think White Castle is pretty much everywhere, but for anyone that doesn't know them, their burgers come frozen in little thin squares. About a dozen years ago, they added or subtracted really, 5 little round holes in them, ostensibly to reduce shrinkage, but everyone knows it was to save a couple of grams of cow. They are cooked on a solid grill with onions and a little water to keep them moist, and they come standard with a dab of ketchup and some pickle on a small squarish bun. They're not the greatest burger at any price, but these belly-bombs are still one of the better deals around, especially at 4:00 a.m. in the morning, as WC is open 24/7. Macho men like to brag about how many they can eat at one sitting. Tales of eating 10, 15 or more are rampant, although I've never seen it done. My preference is the double cheeseburger which costs $1.09.

Doctor_D
04-14-2002, 07:08 AM
Good morning:

Busines has brought me south many times and as such I am very familiar with the Waffle House restaurants. There is one in Carlyle PA I stop at when ever I am in the area of I76 and I81.

Dr. D.

stickman
04-14-2002, 10:14 AM
Rod, you bring back memories. I'm sure you're talking about the same place. We used to stop there, in Enid for a burger everytime we went to see my grandmother in Okla. As a young kid, I had never seen a burger like that anywhere else. It was a real special treat.

04-14-2002, 12:54 PM
Knoxville Billiards Club and I don't have a clue at to eithther what a Nathan's hot dog is or where Nathan's is locatated.

Rod
04-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Jim, I was only there once, and don't remember the name. But I can never forget the size of that burger!

Rod
04-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Quote Tom, If you want to go back a ways Rod, I remember when White Castle Hamburgers were 12 cents each."

Tom I don't want to go back any farther, I was already in the 50's!! I remember White Castle, they had some in Denver Colo, 60's. I think there one of the oldest burger franchise's.

Vagabond
04-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Hi,

Based on the response,I gather that it is a positive feeling towards them.
thanks for responding.
Vagabond

MikeM
04-14-2002, 08:38 PM
Breaker's Billiards in Herndon, VA. Great cheeseburger always served on a fresh bun with a side of thick fries, unlimited Diet Coke (just for the taste of it!) and two hours of pool $9.05 for lunch. Michael the chef has a Mohawk and numerous piercings, but he is a trained executive chef.

I love Nathan's hot dogs too. My wife is form Wilkes-Barre, PA. Before her Dad died last year, any time we were out running errands, we would try to swing by Nathan's for a hot dog. When he was in the hospital we would sneak them in for him.

This is also bringing back memories of an old shack of a drive in that my parents took us to in the late '60s and early '70s. Don't know the name, but it was the first place I ever had a "Cheeseburger Royale" - basically a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato and mayo, but I thought it was soooo cool.

MM

04-15-2002, 09:05 AM
Start with a Black Angus NY Strip steak, run it thru a food processor, mix with A-1 steak sauce, add a little fresh,chopped onion, slap it on a HOT grill and braise with 100%/all the fat butter as it cooks. Cook 3 minutes on one side, flip once, 2 more mins and voila!
I'll put that recipe up against all comers!

Eric &gt;will spot U the T-bone and the flips

04-15-2002, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> - What is the best HAMBURGER in the United States Of America for the money?
<hr></blockquote>

There's a place in Bath, NY that serves up a good burger. The best part is that this diner has three 9' Gold Crowns that are available free while you wait.

Brian in VA
04-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Here in Richmond it's the Texas Burger at the Side Pocket. Half pound burger with grilled onions, texas-style bbq sauce served on Texas toast. With the french fries and a piece of their chocolate pie it is my favorite meal. Provided I can take a nap.

Jay M
04-15-2002, 04:07 PM
The belt-buster from a little diner on seminole blvd in Largo is 1/2 pound cheeseburger made from real ground beef, not that prepackaged crap, with all the fixings (including bacon) served on rye bread with fries and slaw for $3.05

Jay M

04-15-2002, 06:24 PM
You're absolutely right. I've been calling it The Corner Pocket for a loooong time. And I'm wrong. Florence's room is "The Pocket Billiard Lounge". And that's where the burgers are great! And . . . the ladies that work there are great also!

Barbara
04-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Hey Scott!

I want to remind you and all the other posters from your area that I think Florence's birthday is April 27th or 29th. I really think it's the 27th. I'm having the girls this weekend sign a card from all of us to send to her. Please give her a card or even go in with some regulars and get a cake for her. We're usually in that vicinity around her BD, but this year we're not. In fact, I usually get a couple of gift certificates from her fave restaurants, but it'll have to wait until August when we'll be there for the NY State Championships.

Please give her a card. Even if you don't know her that well, I know she'd really appreciate it. Someone told me that she didn't sound too happy on the phone last time she talked to her, and we don't know why 'cause if you know Florence, she just won't tell you unless you needle her.

Barbara~~~made Florence a lifetime member of NEWT last year for all the good she's done for pool for ALL THESE DECADES!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif!

Nostroke
04-15-2002, 11:48 PM
White castle was in the business way before Macdonalds but didnt take advantage of their position.

PS i remember 13 Cent Macdonalds in FL- 15C in NY

SpiderMan
04-16-2002, 12:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

Busines has brought me south many times and as such I am very familiar with the Waffle House restaurants. There is one in Carlyle PA I stop at when ever I am in the area of I76 and I81.

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Can't help but grin at the contrast, what different folks consider "south".

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-16-2002, 12:05 AM
Tommy,

If you are in Memphis, let me know. I visit family and friends in that area several times a year, maybe we can shoot some. And catch one of the all-u-can-eat lobster buffets down at Tunica!

SpiderMan

Rod
04-16-2002, 12:20 AM
Yes I know they were Nostroke. I don't remember the price at McDonalds but it was well before they hit 1 million burgers. I don't have any idea where there at today.

Harold Acosta
06-21-2002, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> - What is the best HAMBURGER in the United States Of America for the money?

- Would anyone say it is the Burger served at Q-Masters Billiards? <a target="_blank" href=http://www.q-masters.com/>http://www.q-masters.com/</a>

- This Burger is claimed to be world famous. Have you ever heard of it before now? <hr></blockquote>

I liked their grilled cheese better.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>
- As a control group for comparison, have you ever heard of a Nathan's Hot Dog?
- Do you know where Nathans is?
- Would you consider a Nathans Hot Dog as one of the best hot dogs in the world at any price? <hr></blockquote>

Nathan is the best hotdog in this "dog gone" world!

Harold ~ been there, done that!

Harold Acosta
06-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Tom, I remember that White Castle! I live in Manhattan in the late 60's and my uncle would take my 4 cousins, my brother and me in his station wagon to buy those little fellas. My uncle used to purchase lots of them for us all, and we would just eat and eat...You brought back good memories, thanks for that!

In Puerto Rico, you can purchase the White Castle hamburgers at Pueblo Supermarkets, and they sure are a blast for little kids!

06-21-2002, 06:25 PM
The best hamburgers I ever tasted were at Sportsman's Park horse race track located just outside of Chicago in Cicero, IL. Like all stuff at the track they weren't really a good dollar value. But they were the best I ever tasted. Back in the 70s I would sometimes eat 6 to 8 of them during the night if I was having a good day. And I'm not a hamburger eater.

ted harris
06-22-2002, 12:52 PM
After being in NYC and experiencing all the awesome diners(Viand Diner; east on next corner from Amsterdam Billiard Club East) and places to eat, the Waffle House is a little rough around the edges.

ted harris
06-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Cue &amp; Cushion in Newark, Delaware has IMHO the best burger. Nothing fancy, paper plates and such, but the burger is great. I think it is the grill they cook it on that does it. If you ever stop in to sample one, tell Gene Isaac I sent you. Nice pool room and atmosphere too.
For fast food I have to go with the In &amp; Out burger, and the Ultimate Cheeseburger at Jack-in-the-Box.

06-22-2002, 01:24 PM
The Barry Burger at Q-Masters is great. It is very cheap and delicious. Its about three bucks.

Nostroke
06-24-2002, 12:15 PM
Disagree- The Barry Burger is totally ordinary even for a pool hall. Mothers in Charlotte has great burgers, maybe the only plus about it.