PDA

View Full Version : 8 ball practice

dmgwalsh
10-12-2003, 06:05 AM
I joined a bca 8 ball league several weeks ago. Never played bca 8 ball before. Ball in hands, safes new to me in 8. What are some good ways to practice. I've been doing my normal drills, but was wondering if there is anything specific to use for eight ball.

Chris Cass
10-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Hi dmgwalsh,

When playing 8ball practice 14.1 (straight pool). When playing 9ball practice 10ball. When playing 8ball BCA practice your safties or 1 pocket. LOL That's the best I can do for ya. Definitely get the basic rules down like what happens if a player breaks and doesn't drive 4 balls to a rail plus the cb. Things like that.

Good Luck,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
10-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Definitely practice playing safeties and trying to get out of them. This will be one of the best things you can do.
DG - Good Luck

Barbara
10-12-2003, 03:43 PM
dg,

Memorize and understand the rules! Think about why there's a "stalemate" rule and what situation this could apply to! Knowing and understanding the rules will not only enhance your shooting skills, but just the knowledge of the rules and how they can be applied in any given situation will allow you a more strategic outlook at the table.

At the last NJ State 8-ball Champs I had in my tour, more often than not, I had to ask permission from the "caller for the Ref" (sitting player) whether or not I could explain the rule to the shooting player because the sitting player knew of a possible foul situation and the shooter did not. As a Ref, I cannot give a statement that may change the shooting player's strategy without the sitting player's permission. In effect, I cannot explain the rule to the shooter and I just watch for a foul.

Then think about going to BCA Ref School in Vegas and becoming one. It's a real eye-opening experience!

Barbara~~~misses Brucie, Patti, and that Roger and Cecil show... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-13-2003, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Definitely practice playing safeties and trying to get out of them. This will be one of the best things you can do.
DG - Good Luck <hr /></blockquote>

To expand that thought a bit, practice your kicks.

Larry Schwartz has a book called "The 8-ball handbook for Winners". While I don't agree 100% with his philosophy it's certainly a book that will make you think. Also George Fels "How would you play this?" is a good book for 8-ball strategy.

landshark1002000
10-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi dmg:

I spend some practice time playing "Half-court".
You can modify this game to your own skill level.
It's like 14.1 with the 8 ball played last.

Decide how many balls you will try to run out.

Roll them out onto the rack half of the table with the cue ball.

The balls can be pocketted in any pocket...BUT the cueball cannot roll past the side pockets. Crossing the cueball past the side pockets stops your run.

Once you run 4 out of 5 "racks" you can add another ball. Failure to run 4 out of 5 racks... you must remove a ball and try again.

You can play against yourself;or one or more
players.

--Ted from Phoenix

phil in sofla
10-14-2003, 05:45 PM
If you've used safety play in other games, you already know what to do to get safe, generally. The difference between 8 and 9 ball safes is that in 8 ball, you are trying to hide the opponent from more balls than simply the low ball on the table. Another difference is that you can call safe, and MAKE your object ball, if that leave is bad for your opponent. Sometimes overlooked, but often the best play.

If you haven't used safety play in other games, then you need a primer on the subject. Fels' 'How would you play this?' is a great reference that lays out the safety thinking in good detail (half the book is on 8-ball, half on 9-ball). Bert Kinnister's several safety videos are also worthwhile.