PDA

View Full Version : Get warm, or get toasted!

tateuts
10-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Sometimes I've been referred to as a "cold starter" and I agree that I take a long time to warm up.

After a day or two of not playing, it takes me at least 30 minutes of warm up time to feel sharp. Does that sound like a long time? It may seem like a long time, but my cue ball speed and shotmaking aren't sharp until I'm warm.

How long does it take you to warm up? Will you let a good player press you into a match when you're cold?

Chris

Tom_In_Cincy
10-12-2003, 11:12 AM
30 minutes isn't that long, sometimes it takes me days to get in stroke.

I do have some drills that I can't make unless I am close to being in stroke. These help me get warm quicker. Sometimes I can get into stroke in 10 minutes. Sometimes it takes longer.

I will never walk into a money game without some amount of warmup. Especially one pocket.

c.holtz009
10-12-2003, 12:37 PM
I have found that it sometimes takes me a while to get in stroke.
One thing that has helped me speed up my warm up and get in stroke faster is to just throw the balls out on the table, line up a shot, close my eyes, stoke the cue five times, and on the fifth stroke, shoot. When I am pocketing the balls well with my eyes closed, then I know I am ready to start.
I do this usually for about five or ten minutes, and it really helps me to make sure my stroke is "true" and in tune.
When my eyes are closed, I can feel the shot, and can more easily get my stroke in the groove.

I find if my stroke is a bit off, so is my game.

cheesemouse
10-12-2003, 12:59 PM
tateuts,

My minimum fast start late for the match get comfortable in a hurry thingee is nine shots and then I call heads......LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

magicman
10-13-2003, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Sometimes I've been referred to as a "cold starter" and I agree that I take a long time to warm up.

After a day or two of not playing, it takes me at least 30 minutes of warm up time to feel sharp. Does that sound like a long time? It may seem like a long time, but my cue ball speed and shotmaking aren't sharp until I'm warm.

How long does it take you to warm up? Will you let a good player press you into a match when you're cold?

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

I saw Fast Larry in a exhibition come out, toss the balls out on the table and say, I first have to warm up, he shoots one ball in and said, I am ready to go, it don't take long for a Rolls Royce to warm up. It was a joke, but there was a point to it. If your stroke is pure, correct and is straight and you shoot straight, you can warm up in 5 minutes and anything over 20 minutes is just wasting energy. You seem mentally trapped into this 30 minute thing, learn to do it in 20, you can. Just set your watch timer to 20 minutes, when it dings, stop and then go play somebody. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tateuts
10-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Wait a minute. Volkswagons don't need much warm up time, Ferrari's do!

But I do see your point. 20 minutes is probably enough. I think it's more of a matter of relaxing, getting rid of the daily grind tension, getting used to the pool room atmosphere, and getting the muscles loose for pool.

Basically, what I was saying was I would rather have too much warm up time than too little.

Chris

nhp
10-14-2003, 04:01 AM
Chris, when I was playing my best it took me about the same time to warm up. After a while, it became a ritual, and I might have psyched myself into thinking that without 20-30 minutes of hitting balls, I would have no chance to win a match. These days since I am out of stroke often, alot of times I come into a match playing good, and after 10-15 minutes I tend to tighten up, and it's all downhill from there. I dunno why this happens, but it sure does happen alot. Another strange thing is now that I play ALOT less then when I was only averaging 10 hours per week, I have been hitting balls better. Man, what a mess!

stickman
10-14-2003, 08:22 AM
It sounds like you just described me, except I don't take too long, I just take whatever time it requires. LOL (Usually two or three games. Maybe too long for somebody else.) I seldom come out of the gate charging. It's definately a stroke thing with me, and somedays, I just play poor no matter what I do. (don't we all?) I think that if I played more than once, sometimes twice, a week, I'd get there faster. I've learned the hard way, way too often, not to jump into a money game without first warming up.

stickman
10-14-2003, 08:26 AM
Sounds like good advice. I'll have to give it a try.

road runner 711
10-14-2003, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Sometimes I've been referred to as a "cold starter" and I agree that I take a long time to warm up.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>
\

This is not good, you say you are a cold starter, if it takes you a long time to warm up, you will be a cold start on the game as well. Just trust your stroke, you warm up your arm, just get it loose, then go with what game you have that day. When the game begins, you must start out hot, fast, it's always critical to win that first game or get out 2 zip. Do that, you win a lot of matches. Start out cold, get behind, you will find coming from behind is tough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bassn7
10-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Odd you should mention this. I've recently done a bit of 'theory' work on "warming up". Something I've noticed from my tournament play is this: I always play better in my second round, once I've 'broke a sweat'. When I'm really intense and working the table I'm physically warmer. Just like a boxer, I need to be pumped up and hot before the battle. My personal outcome: Long sleeve denim shirt during practice time. I increase my body temperature quicker and get into focus faster. Just my two cents. Works for me.

nhp
10-16-2003, 04:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> Sounds like good advice. I'll have to give it a try. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey stickman, have you ever stopped by Billiard Connection in Northridge, CA? You look very familiar.

stickman
10-16-2003, 09:40 AM
No, I've never been there. It might have been Clint Eastwood. We look a lot alike. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooldaddy9
10-16-2003, 10:44 AM
I know what you mean. I have to shoot 2-3 games to get in stroke. Doesn't matter if I shoot every day or skip a couple of days. Still takes a good 20-30 minutes. Just shoot a couple of warm up games before you play a match. Don't let anyone rush you into a game.