PDA

View Full Version : US Women's Open - Ouch

Fred Agnir
10-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Just untwisted from getting every piece of my being completely wrung. I had no idea the finish to the US Women's Open (Karen Corr vs. Ga Young Kim)would be so agonizing. Even knowing the outcome before-hand, I couldn't help but hope for a miracle. A misreport. But alas, no such luck.

As I tell anyone who's willing to listen, yound and old, seasoned and rookies: it's why we play the game. There can be no definition of ecstasyof winning without fully feeling the agony of defeat.

Fred <~~~ felt the agony this weekend.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Fred,
I too, watched the final game of that match, knowing the outcome, but at the same time, I was pulling for the underdog.

I think more people would be able to associate with Ms. Kim's feeling than Karen's. But, then again, hardly any of us have ever been in either's position of playing for the US Open Title.

Thrilling match, enjoyed it very much.

cuechick
10-12-2003, 05:31 PM
I agree it was a nail biter adn karen seemed truely humbled since i think she had thought it was over twice...GY Kim showed a lot of heart and the whole thing made me cry.
I think it is so exciting to see the the next big thing in action...

L.S. Dennis
10-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I just got through watching it too but unlike you guys I didn't know who was supposed to win in advance. It was some of the best pool on tv in a long while, great stuff!

Hey Tom did you get over to Hard Times to watch any of the USPPA tournament over the weekend. I was up there on saturday.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-12-2003, 07:49 PM
L.S.
I was there yesterday, but had to leave around 3 pm. I am going to go there later to watch the finals

Nostroke
10-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Karen showed a lot of class. I didnt see the TV coverage but they probably didnt show Karen's speech after winning. Karen mostly spoke of GYK and how she had "buried" her (Karen) in Taiwan. I thought it was quite big of her given that the crowd was totally and very vocally behind GYK; frenzied to the point of even cheering a miss by Karen briefly.

This weekend GYK was in a CAT event in MD beating Jeannie Seaver in a terrific hill-hill finals match that lasted no more than 25 minutes. ( AZB is reporting that a Corr/Rempe final GAME lasted nearly an hour this weekend) I think only in one game did either player get to the table twice! Many people said it was the best match they had ever seen. It made my top 3 and I've seen quite a few.

GYK will be in Ontario this weekend for a WPBA event. Its going to be very interesting to say the least- I can hardly wait!!

CarolNYC
10-13-2003, 03:45 AM
Hey Dave,
Karen sure did show ALOT of CLASS!I just watched that yesterday,back from Maryland, and all I can say is,
"That was one of the most EMOTIONAL matches I've ever watched!"
Carol~had tears! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jjinfla
10-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Kim sure does have a great break. I wonder what the speed of it is.

The looks on Ewa's and Jeannie's face when Kim missed those two shots said it all.

I wonder how many times Kim has tried that 9 ball shot after the match. It will be in her mind forever. Maybe Jim Rempe can tell her how to handle the miss.

But it just shows that shooting great pool is not enough to become a champion, you have to be able to deal with the pressure. She better learn real fast or else she will be history.

Jake

Fred Agnir
10-13-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Kim sure does have a great break. I wonder what the speed of it is.

The looks on Ewa's and Jeannie's face when Kim missed those two shots said it all.<hr /></blockquote>I found myself cringing at the fact that ESPN decided to stay on Kim as she crumpled to the floor. Maybe it makes for good TV.

Fred

Rich R.
10-13-2003, 07:56 AM
I was also at the C.A.T. tournament, and Nostroke speaks the truth.

GYK is definitely a force to be reckoned with. I'm sure Ms. Corr and Ms. Fisher are watching her very closely. Ms. Kim is pounding on the WPBA door, with a sledgehammer.

Eric.
10-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Great match, though. It was an interesting contrast in styles; Methodical and Deliberate vs. Fast and Aggressive. I was especially impressed with G. Kim's kicking ability, she kicks with more knowledge than most of the WPBA players. Looking at the way she references her kicks, shows her 3C backround.

Looks like there's a new Sheriff in town.

Eric &gt;still trying to make Deputy

Nostroke
10-13-2003, 09:27 AM
It was unreal Carol, the TV could not have caught the electricty in the Arena. The crowd was totally in love with her, frenzied, ready to stand up and go completely wild and boom, instantly deflated and depressed. As i said before, tears were not in short supply-even among people who had never seen her before.

She has played on TV in Taiwan many times (and beaten every top player except Allison) but i cant imagine she ever had the pressure of Albuquerque because of the crowd. I know she will shake it off though, She is a Champion!

For those who missed it on TV, I see its listed for 9:30 EST on ESPN2 tonite.

cuechick
10-13-2003, 09:43 AM
I agree Davy,( oh yeah great to see you sweating it all, right there in front) she will get past this. She is TWENTY years old!! Seasoning is just that. I have no doubt she could set that 9ball up 100 times and make it every time... but the lesson she got may prove more valuable than a win. I watch karen, and no matter how easy the 9ball she takes her time. She never takes any ball for granted...The fact she took a time out on the final 9 shows how methodical she is. It is the quality in her I admire most.
I am sure Ga will be in that position again, and she will make that ball and truely the drama of it all, her emotional state after the miss, it was sport is all about. The highs and the los and I do think it makes for exciting viewing. To me the drama and excitement of this match was great for our sport...

When Jasmine finally comes over to join the tour, it will be a whole new world!

Steve Lipsky
10-13-2003, 09:59 AM
Nostroke,

Why was the crowd so in love with her? Is it just the Underdog Syndrome?

I personally have not seen her play live, but on TV I find many of her histrionics to be a little annoying (patting her chest after making a nice shot or getting a good roll was cute the first time, but not the 7th).

I thought it was rude how little respect Karen was showed. As you mentioned, it seemed like they cheered when she missed the 8.

I also was impressed at Karen's handling of the situation. She acted perfectly for someone who won only because of a gift - very humbly. (Contrast this to one former top WPBA pro, who once pushed her opponent out of the way after she missed the tournament-winning 9-ball at hill-hill, then started celebrating after making the resulting hanger. I saw the match on AccuStats, and it is a prime example of how not to act when this happens.)

- Steve

Nostroke
10-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Hey Steve- Nice win over Varner by the way.

I think it was a combination of the underdog thing, the fact that she comes across like a "little girl", her speed of play and making it look easy, her aggresiveness, flare, and the fact that many find Karen's style boring. Still more fans just want to see someone different win for a change. I guess im prejudiced but i think she has plenty of Charisma.

I never heard that story before-Who was the obnoxious pro? PM me if you dont want to post it please!

Barbara
10-13-2003, 10:38 AM
I wanna know, too!!

Barbara

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah! What she said!

SPetty
10-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Hi Steve,

First, congratulations on playing so well in your recent tournament. If it weren't for the CCB, I wouldn't have even heard anything about it.

Second, thanks for this post. I wanted to post something similar, but it never came out right. Although it was an extremely thrilling match to watch, I felt bad for Karen that she wasn't able to thoroughly enjoy the win. After winning the US Open, the winner should be "on top of the world" so to speak, yet Karen had to remain humble partly because the crowd was so against her.

When Karen and Allison play, Allison is always the overwhelming crowd favorite. When will Karen get her due?

Nostroke
10-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Hi Lara-I felt very privileged to be sitting there. Those were GYK's seats that Jeannie and I were in but it wasn't supposed to be me. Hsin Huang was supposed to be sitting there but she was too nervous and had to watch on TV in the back room. Jeannie pulled me out of the stands- something i won't forget!

Speaking of Jasmine-I wonder why she didn't make at least one trip here this year?

See you at the RTC in Marietta on 11/1?

Rod
10-13-2003, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Contrast this to one former top WPBA pro, who once pushed her opponent out of the way after she missed the tournament-winning 9-ball at hill-hill, <hr /></blockquote>

Careful Steve,

In a recent thread there are some people here who feel they can bully in on an opponent. I guess if they feel it is ok where ever they play, then it must be ok anywhere, right? Not me but some here do. Personally I don't see the difference one way or another. Some people just have no respect in some situations, even though they "seem" to be ok in general.

Rod

Ross
10-13-2003, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ...
Although it was an extremely thrilling match to watch, I felt bad for Karen that she wasn't able to thoroughly enjoy the win. After winning the US Open, the winner should be "on top of the world" so to speak, yet Karen had to remain humble partly because the crowd was so against her.

When Karen and Allison play, Allison is always the overwhelming crowd favorite. When will Karen get her due?
<hr /></blockquote>

I also felt bad for Karen. I thought GYK was great and a class act. Did you see how genuinely she hugged Karen after the match. She could have pouted or been cold to her, but she didn't.

The crowd was another story - being rude and showing little class when it cheered as soon as Karen missed the 8. Cheering on the underdog is fine, but cheering for a miss is wrong in so many ways.

I think one thing Karen needs to do is work on her TV persona if she wants to win the audience over. Mainly she needs to smile more. GYK was all seriousness when in her seat and at the table. But she would flash her winning smile before breaking and at other points. It may not sound like much, but I think it is part of what showed her human side and won the crowd over. Karen likewise has a beautiful smile but she won't risk showing it at all during the match. If you want the audience to be with you, you have to let them in a little bit at least.

UTAddb
10-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Ross- I agree GYK was very nice considering the circumstances but the crowd was obnoxious. When Karen Corr missed it was like the crowd was cheering for a double fault in a tennis match.

Barbara
10-13-2003, 09:04 PM
I got home early from work to watch this match for the first time. I really didn't think that the crowd was so much against Karen as they were cheering on a young girl that has talent.

GYK really has to be watched to see her full talents and I think that she displays a 'scary fearlessness' that has placed itself alongside the "confidence and snooker-mechanics" tediom that Allison and Karen have put us to sleep with for a while.

Okay, my shift key for my left hand hand side only works part-time. Sorry.

Now where is houstandan whem i need lower case?

Barbara

Qtec
10-14-2003, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"confidence and snooker-mechanics" tediom that Allison and Karen have put us to sleep with for this while. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL
Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif