PDA

View Full Version : Custom v.s. Production

Jay
10-12-2003, 06:46 PM
After reading all the numerous posts about which cues people use, it has come to my attention that almost everyone here owns and or plays with a custom cue. Now is there any reason that most players prefer a custom cue over a production cue. Is there something about a cue that it hand made that makes it better than a cue that is mass produced. I play with a production cue but have recently looked into buying a custom cue to see if there is any difference. I know that with a custom there is higher quality materials that are put into the cue but so are the high end production cues. It seems like a lot of the amateur players like to play with customs but the majority of the pros play with production cue. Now I know that endorsement dollars are a major reason why a lot of them play with those cues but do you think they would rather play with a custom cue if given the choice. What are some of the reasons why most players prefer a custom cue over a production cue?

Fred Agnir
10-13-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> After reading all the numerous posts about which cues people use, it has come to my attention that almost everyone here owns and or plays with a custom cue. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't think this is true, but I could be way off. I think more talk about their cue is generated by those who have custom-made cues.

[ QUOTE ]
Now is there any reason that most players prefer a custom cue over a production cue. <hr /></blockquote> I think that once a player knows what s/he like or doesn't like about cues, then s/he'll gravitate towards a custom cue. Especially on this board. This board of course doesn't represent the other players in the world who buy cues. I think the majority of league players go with rack models, which isn't a bad idea.

Fred

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 08:10 AM
I have to think Fred is correct. This board is not representative of pool players in general. We are probably the hard core addicts. Look around any pool room, and if you see more than two or three custom cues, I would be surprised. Now the quality of the production cues players have will vary, but I dare say most of the cues being used are not custom.
JMHO

Kato
10-13-2003, 08:38 AM
I agree whole heartedly. In my pool room there are only a few customs (I own 2) and mostly lower to middle end production models.

Kato

tateuts
10-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Production cues are so good these days, buying a custom cue is basically an excercise in self-expresssion. It's hard to get a much better playing cue than a Schon or an Olivier, or for that matter even a Joss, McDermott, Meucci or Viking depending on your taste.

Buying a custom has a lot to do with pride of ownership, a desire to own something unique and special, and a respect for the craftsmanship, artistry, and even history of the cue maker. There is an "aura" to a famous maker cue.

Very few players need a custom cue, but we all want them.

Chris

peet234
10-13-2003, 06:39 PM
yeah, that's definitely true about not needing it. I've only been playing for about 5 months (APA) but I'm putting money down on a custom this week on payday. It isn't really expensive, less than a Schon and many other production cues. The maker had one in stock so I reserved it. So I guess for me it was a debate and I decided to go with a different style. I'm sure everyone where I shoot will notice, even though that's not what I'm after. I plan on having it a long time. Right now I know just about any decent cue will be an improvement for me, so I won't try to claim either is better.

Of the 45 or so players in my league, there are a few predators, cuetec, joss, a schon and couple meucci, mcdermott. Several of these players have owned the same cues for years and years. About 20% of everyone uses a bar stick and this includes some decent 6's. I've never noticed anything custom but there may be one.

dg-in-centralpa
10-13-2003, 06:46 PM
I own one of each. When I bought my custom, it was an expression of me, and my tastes. Does it play any better than my production? Not really, but it is an eye catcher. I have three productions and one custom. Most players in the two leagues I shoot in have productions. I can think of only 1 or 2 others besides me that own a custom.

DG

Sid_Vicious
10-13-2003, 07:07 PM
I have 2 customs, both I purchased because I played with either several of them and they all came alive, or THAT one was cruising in balls like I couldn't miss. I also have many productions, and you'll find me playing with any one of them on any given day. I like lots of cues, but I have to admit, I feel the customs, bottom end doesn't matter, makes a better buy cuz it holds resale value...sid~~~never seems to want to sell them, just my thang

Jay
10-13-2003, 10:08 PM
The one thing that I must say is a benefit to a custom cue is that it is custom. The majority of the time when purchasing a custom you choose what goes into your cue as opposed to buying what is already made. This was one of the main reasons why I was thinking about buy a custom because with all the variations that you have with production cue it is so hard to choose a good cue with both looks and playability. With a custom it is your choice and specs. The only down fall is the price. Unfortunately with a custom cue you basically have to "pay to play" but then again I believe that you get what you pay for. Although I dont own one (yet!), i feel that custom cues are also an ego booster in a positive way, when you have a cue that is made just for you and made by a renouned cue maker, you tend to feel a bit more confident in your game. I would assume that it would probably make you play better than a production cue because you would think that you should be playing better because you have put all this time and money into it. I would think that it would just be a bit more satisfying.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-14-2003, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peet234:</font><hr> yeah, that's definitely true about not needing it. I've only been playing for about 5 months (APA) but I'm putting money down on a custom this week on payday. .....<hr /></blockquote>

If this is a tavern league I would think twice about bringing a custom cue to a bar. They tend to get dinged up, or worse yet stolen. I have an well-worn McDermott I use in the tavern league.

RUNaRAK
10-14-2003, 12:10 PM
I love my custom cue because I like to have something that nobody else has. As far as shooting better. Probably realistically not. Just makes me feel better.

My 2 centavos..

Jimmy B
10-15-2003, 12:15 PM
There is something to be said for helping out the underdog, also you can get a lot of bang for your buck. I think if you're on the fence try to talk to as many small cue makers you can and when you find one close to you and who you click with you should support him. There are many on this group who will make you something nice for the same price you'd pay for a mid to high end production cue, and many people here have formed a bond with some of these guys and get even more bang for their buck. I think respect of knowledge and the willingness to share it and the bond of friendships are major factors in why some people here have chosen to go custom over production cues. JB

Steve/McDermott
10-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Great thread guys...very interesting read.

bigdawg
10-29-2003, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve/McDermott:</font><hr> Great thread guys...very interesting read. <hr /></blockquote>

The majority of players are never going to spend over $300 for a cue and the vast majority of all custome cues will be over that figure.