PDA

View Full Version : How we bringing sticks to Vegas people?

Nostroke
04-12-2002, 08:54 PM
I hate checking baggage on plane especially a stick so im either going to go without one and buy a cheap stick there (and UPS it home)or How about Fed EXing it in advance to the Hotel? Think they would take the delivery for me?

cuechick
04-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Yes I am sure they would but I would call ahead and let them know, I bought one of the travel cases by Porper at VF and am going to attempt to carry it on, if they object I will request it be checked with the crews luggage because of the value. ( as suggested by someone on this board)

04-12-2002, 09:51 PM
I tried arranging that for an upcoming flight and was told that I could not be accomodated. I ended up Fed Exing. Good luck in Vegas everyone!!!

stickman
04-12-2002, 09:51 PM
I just read an article about flying with your sticks. It is not normally possible to bring it on as carry on luggage, it could be used as a weapon. They suggested wrapping the cue case in bubbble wrap and boxing it with styrofoam peanuts and checking it in as regular luggage. The suggestion was for using Mail Boxes Etc. for the boxing. They have an assortment of boxes and the packing materials to box it up right. I thought about traveling by plane with my stick once, but that was before Sept. 11.

Q-guy
04-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Why don't you want to just check your cue as long as you have an approbate case? If you Fed Ex it, it gets thrown in a pile of other stuff being sent no special handling. I may feel safer with it on the same plane with me. As long as the luggage is marked with your name and address it will not get lost. Luggage gets lost when it has no tags on it. If you do everything right there will be no problem. Don't be so paranoid and enjoy your trip.

Q-guy
04-13-2002, 12:00 AM
How valuable is your cue? With a shirt costing anywhere from $30. to $80. and pants shoes and everything else costing equally as much. The contents of every piece of luggage on the plane may be worth equal to or more then a cuestick. Stop worrying, there is more chance of something happening to it when you leave it in the hotel and go to dinner, then on the plane. The new rules are what they are and you have to go along with them. From what I keep reading on here, people are going into a needless panic. For me, I have an approbate case and I don't plan on worrying about it. I am certainly not going to stop traveling or bringing my cue.

Vagabond
04-13-2002, 12:34 AM
Hello Mates,
It is simple and easy.Buy a little larger suit case( I bought American tourister from SEARS)and throw yoursticks in the case and the case into your suit case.
PS:I do have expensive case(Jack Justice)and a very nice custom made stick from which I don`t want to depart.I am not afraid to check it in.
No Worries Mates,

Vagabond

04-13-2002, 03:41 AM
Go to your local post office or office supply store. Pick up a heavy duty cardboard box that is big enought to hold your case. Before you put your case in the box, wrap it in two layers of bubble wrap. Take some tape with you for the return trip. Hope this helps

Chris Cass
04-13-2002, 03:56 AM
Hey Vega,
You got more cool than I do bud. I'm pooping green bricks. I'm wraping my JJustis case and cue in bubble wrap and boxing it. I think now I'll buy a suit case just for it. I'm going to beg the airlines to atleast throw it in with the animals on board. If they have any or a place they would put animals. I'm thinking that would be coach. LOL

Seriously, I'm sweating it but I'll insure it to the max. Then, all I have to worry about if someone takes it when it's off loaded. I'll be biting my nails watching that little baggage marry go round to see it.

This is worse than sweating a match.

Regards,
C.C.

Doctor_D
04-13-2002, 06:26 AM
Good morning:

I will either be checking my cues, using an SKB Commerical Travel Case for lighting rails, or shipping them to my destination.

Check out: www.skbsports.com (http://www.skbsports.com)

Dr. D.

cuechick
04-13-2002, 07:52 AM
My cues and case are about 1700.00, I think the porper travel case( Joe designed this case to hold you regular case, it is insulated and padded) which was just 40.00, will protect both my cues and case. I can also lock it, and will have ample Id on it. I have been told though by more than one person that they just walked right on with their cues.
Lorri, what airline did you fly or are flying?
I also learned from an early similar post that you can declare a value up to 2500.00 when you check something. If you do not declare it before hand, then it's tough luck for you....

Nostroke
04-13-2002, 08:02 AM
See the thing is i dont like CHECKING ANYTHING! Lots of frequent travelers do carry-on only!!Less hassle, waiting and you beat everyone else to the rent-a-car counter, taxis or whatever. Saves a lot of time!

04-13-2002, 08:16 AM
Hello,I'm breaking down my cue and wrapping safely in my suitcase,(between clothes etc.)taking a soft case w/ me.folded over in suitcase w/ my cue.check as regular luggage.don't sweat it.

04-13-2002, 08:28 AM
I just went to Vegas for the Canadian Club tournament. I checked my cue in a porper travel case with no problems. The case can be locked and has a place for a name tag.

Darryl

04-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Chris...Just so ya know, the new padded bags being made and sold by Joe Porper are excellent quality, and super-durable!
I saw them at Valley Forge, looked closely at the construction, and deemed them exceptional for the price ($40)! Try to buy a suitcase big enough for your cuecase for $40!

Scott Lee

Q-guy
04-13-2002, 01:41 PM
I am personally glad they have cracked down on people carrying all their crap on the plane. You have to put up with their selfish needs and priorities as they pile their junk under your seat and there is no more room in the over head for my one little carry on. Reminds me of people in the grocery store. You see them pushing around their carts for an hour like they have nothing better to do. Then once they are in line to check out, they are cursing because it is not moving fast enough for them. Everyone think their need are so G.D. important. Sorry to be so blunt, but you classified yourself with your statement.

Chris Cass
04-13-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks Scott, I'll look into it. I mainly concerned about losing it or the damage from the cold. If they'll only insure up to $2500. I don't like any idea. If I ship it to the hotel, I know they'll hold it. I could send it to Laurie and I know she'll hold it but I'm messed up and will have a plan before I go.

Thanks a lot for the info Scott, it's appreciated.

C.C.

Doctor_D
04-13-2002, 06:07 PM
Good evening:

Check with your Home Owner's insurance agent for the amount of your personal property coverage. Your personal property is covered World Wide under your home owner's policy up to the aggregate limits stated on the policy's declaration page. Claims, minus the applicable deductible, can be made to your own insurance company for loss from covered perils. Detailed information, such as original invoices and photographs, will be required.

Dr. D.

Nostroke
04-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks Q guy for pointing out what a horrible person i am, not liking to check a cue and all- I just hope its not too late to turn my life around and become just like you.

Q-guy
04-13-2002, 07:24 PM
You said you don't like to check anything. You even put it in capital letters to make your point. Getting to the rental car desk first is your big concern. So long as you get what you want, I suppose it doesn't matter who you have to inconvenience. No need to change on my account, we all are who we are.

Nostroke
04-13-2002, 08:03 PM
Sure i capitalized it, everyone was telling me how to pack it for checking it when i had already indicated that Im not checking it. Anyone who has traveled a bit knows you dont want to check anything. Ever spend a weekend in Aruba without your clothes, medicines shaving gear and address book? I have and its not going to happen again.

Vagabond
04-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Hello Mates,
I always kept my case in the trunk of the car.My car travelled in California,Arizona,Florida,Nevada,Mississippi etc.,etc., during hot summer months.My car also travelled,while carying my cue stick in it`s trunk,thru Michigan,Indiana,Colarado etc.,etc., during very cold winter months.Nothing happened to my stick and I don`t want to part from it.
No Worries Mates
vagabond

04-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Right, Dr. D. I looked into it myself when a cue of mine was stolen some years ago. Just wanted to add that your home-owner's policy won't cover it though if you're in the business of pool, even if the cue is a personal item.

In that case you either have to have a business policy or take the write-off on your tax return, which isn't as beneficial.

Fran

Nostroke
04-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Unless your "uninsured loss" is more than some huge percentage of your income as i recall, it doesnt count. I was robbed of a pretty good amount a while back and got no deduction out of it. Im no expert but dont count on a tax deduction.

04-13-2002, 11:07 PM
If you're not in the business and you don't have a home-owner's policy, you're right. The uninsured losses percentage you're referring is for personal losses. If you're in the business you could deduct the purchase price of the items in the year you purchased them, or declare them as assets and depreciate them.

Fran

Q-guy
04-14-2002, 12:14 AM
You have made your point, you don't give a darn about anyone but yourself. Like I said, we are who we are. Enough said.

CarolNYC
04-14-2002, 04:41 AM
Hi there,
I wouldnt worry too much about your stick arriving safely-all these suggestions are good ones-I personnally bought an archery case that fits my case perfectly and I will check it as luggage-my flight is direct, so Im not worried-I would be a little concerned,though,if I had 1 or 2 connections,thats where I feel the problem of lost luggage occurs-just have a safe flight!
Carol~arriving 3 hrs. early to get through security!:)

Doctor_D
04-14-2002, 07:06 AM
Good morning:

Should you be managing your POOL as a business, then you would need a Business Personal Property policy endorsement on your BOP or Business Insurance Policy.

Dr. D.