PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the right call?

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 07:07 AM
This weekend I was running a tournament. During one match, a player called me over to watch the shot. The cb was about one half inch from the 9-ball. Anyone in any match would have called to have someone watch this shot. The shooter got upset for her calling me to watch. He made a good hit, but missed his shot. I went back to the TD table and when I looked back both players were still discussing the situation. The player that missed the shot was racking, and he was cussing up a storm, calling her every name in the book, and finally swinging the rack toward his opponant's head. I headed back over toward the table, but before I got there, the other player went back and broke down her cue stating that she didn't need this type of abuse in a pool game. As I approached the area, the other player took his cues and looked toward me and said "Give it to her, I don't give a sh..!"

Although one player broke her cue down, the other player was clearly out of line and was the cause of the problem.

Anyway, my decision was that the unsportsman like conduct took place prior to her breaking down her cue. I DQ'd him and awarded her the match. He is banned from playing in any future tournaments of mine. What would you have done in that situation?

jjinfla
10-13-2003, 07:17 AM
There should be more decisions like yours. Who needs, or wants, a hothead in the tournament.

I take it the guy who missed the 9 left it in the jaws and conceeded that game and that was why he was racking? And then he was blaming her for his missing the shot. So he decided to shark her by scaring her with his anger.

Good call on your part.

Jake

Kato
10-13-2003, 07:33 AM
Good job. I woulda done the same thing. The lady player handled the situation with complete class and dignity. The guy who got upset is not worth your trouble.

Kato

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 07:38 AM
Actually, she made the shot on the 9. The trouble built up while he was racking for the next game.

Rich R.
10-13-2003, 07:40 AM
I have no idea what the rules say, but, I say it was a good decision. The hot head is not needed.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Yes, you did exactly what I would have done.

Anything that is done on purpose (even spectators) that can disrupt the players during a tournament, is grounds for removal.

Barbara
10-13-2003, 08:42 AM
You made the right call.

You don't need people disrupting other matches in a tournament.

Barbara

Leviathan
10-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Good job. Of course you were right to come down hard on the guy. Also, the match ended at the moment the guy committed a disqualifying infraction: it was already over when the female player broke down her cue.

DM

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the support. Janet was just so cool about it, and she is a class player anyway, I wasn't sure if I might have let my personal opinion influence the call.

Just a side note, it was so funny because she was the only female playing, and in the calcutta the bidding on her was going a little slow, but when she bid $80 on herself, you should have seen all the guys scramble to try and buy her. I guess they thought if she had that much confidence in her game, they probably should too.

Barbara
10-13-2003, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Thanks for the support. Janet was just so cool about it, and she is a class player anyway, I wasn't sure if I might have let my personal opinion influence the call.<hr /></blockquote>

Janet....Atwell?

Barbara

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 09:29 AM
yes

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 09:30 AM
If you know her, you know how hard it is to believe that anyone could treat her like that.

Barbara
10-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Yes, really. She's a classy player. She played in my tour last year at the NJ State 9-ball Championships and I do believe she knocked Dawn Hopkins out of the tourny and finished 5/6th or something like that.

She definitely didn't deserve that kind of treatment from that jacka$$.

Barbara

griffith_d
10-13-2003, 10:34 AM
You made the right call,....anger is very close to fear, when it comes to emotions. As I see it, he was scared of being beaten by a woman and what he might look like in front of his friends. So all that comes out is anger,....hotheads do not belong in pool.

Griff

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 10:40 AM
I think she finished tied 9-12, so there was more than one guy that fell victim to her cue! I just hope this incident doesn't keep her from continuing on the tour when she is able. She was a pleasure to be around, and to watch her at the table was a lot of fun too. She is a great player who I am sure will be a regular on the WPBA very soon.

griffith_d
10-13-2003, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> She was a pleasure to be around, and to watch her at the table was a lot of fun too. <hr /></blockquote>

I have found this to be the case with every woman I have come in contact with, with the exception of one,....and she was just plain rude.

I think women do not have the big ego to protect and do not show off and have the big "mouth" that men have. I always pull for the underdog, which seems to be the women where I play, just to watch the man she is playing and the expressions on their face when they lose. Most take it ok, but the ones that don't need to get over it.

Griff

JoJo
10-13-2003, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> This weekend I was running a tournament. During one match, a player called me over to watch the shot. The cb was about one half inch from the 9-ball. Anyone in any match would have called to have someone watch this shot. The shooter got upset for her calling me to watch. He made a good hit, but missed his shot. I went back to the TD table and when I looked back both players were still discussing the situation. The player that missed the shot was racking, and he was cussing up a storm, calling her every name in the book, and finally swinging the rack toward his opponant's head. I headed back over toward the table, but before I got there, the other player went back and broke down her cue stating that she didn't need this type of abuse in a pool game. As I approached the area, the other player took his cues and looked toward me and said "Give it to her, I don't give a sh..!"

Although one player broke her cue down, the other player was clearly out of line and was the cause of the problem.

Anyway, my decision was that the unsportsman like conduct took place prior to her breaking down her cue. I DQ'd him and awarded her the match. He is banned from playing in any future tournaments of mine. What would you have done in that situation? <hr /></blockquote>

Great call, if more refs like you, make these kind of calls, there will be less and less abuse at the table and fewer out breaks of rude behavior. Advice, the other person should not have broke down their cue, they should have came to you with their complaint and allowed you to deal with it, if you did nothing, then the cue can go down and they can go out the door to never return.

Scott Lee
10-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Good call Steve! The only way to successfully manage a tour, like you're doing, is to eliminate the jerks right away...so the the rest of the field knows the limits immediately! I hope you ban that player from the next few events...and if he plays again, and acts up, he should be banned permanently from the tour. Keep up the good work.

Scott

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Scott,
If you had seen the way this guy was acting, you would know why I won't let him back. He used up all of his chances at one time! Normally, I would agree that a short suspension would be enough, but this was beyond normal.
Steve

cheesemouse
10-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Steve,

Playing in one of your tournaments would be a pleasure. Having a TD that takes care of business is a refreshing thing. Being a TD is a pretty thankless job and good TD's get all my respect...I'll bet that was the last problem you had in that event...LOL.....good call... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
10-13-2003, 02:10 PM
You made the right call Steve, don't look back. If more people or TD's got rid of some whiners, tournaments would be more fun for everyone. I realize this guy was out there but there are still some Pain in the A$$ whiners. Well be careful you do want a tournament. LOL

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
10-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Tap Tap Tap!! Good call.

DG

Chris Cass
10-14-2003, 02:03 AM
I think the call was good. You also might want to stick around the table an extra min to make sure things run smooth afterwards. Hill hill matches clinched on one shot can be one hot situation. This guy needs to respect not only your decision but his opponent too. Good job. Probably better than that new TD at Hardtimes, no doubt. I hear he's a real !@#$%%^ hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~always respects the TD and women.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
10-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Steve,

Great call Steve, although I agree with Chris that it might have been good to hang around for the last game if possible.
So how was the tournament? Who won? (If this is posted elsewhere just point me in the right direction.) What about side action. Sorry I missed it -- I PROMISE to make the next one you have in my area.

pooltchr
10-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Ross,
Thanks,
Check your PM I should have all the results up on the web site tonight.
Steve