PDA

View Full Version : Barrys saga continues

bolo
10-13-2003, 07:24 AM
Just for those curious as to what happened. It is pool related and relevant, many here know him.
I thought the judges comment and it's relationship to pool was interesting.

"He took advantage of the court assisting him in making a living. He thinks he can hustle the world."

This stuff does not put pool or room owners in a very good light. Many potential room owners are forced to go before commissions looking for variances to open their rooms and this kind of stuff just makes it even more difficult, it keeps the game down and continues the perception the public already shares.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=60921&ran=98041

Tom_In_Cincy
10-13-2003, 08:08 AM
bolo,

It's not 'just' the pool industry.

Do you remember the recent problems of lost BILLIONS of dollars from corrupt CEOs, like the Enron debacle?

[ QUOTE ]
"He took advantage of the court assisting him in making a living. He thinks he can hustle the world." <hr /></blockquote>

The pool industry is not the only thing that pisses off judges... or should I say, out of work lawyers?

Singlemalt
10-13-2003, 08:46 AM
I am only asking here. But do you think the statement the judge made was due to his failing a drug test while he was out?

bolo
10-13-2003, 09:05 AM
The word "hustle" as it is associated with pool is what stings. He choose to make Barrys behavior and the world of the pool room synonymous.

bolo
10-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Enron has no relevance here. If you have ever stood in front of a city commission trying to get say, a parking variance to open a pool room, you would know how bad this kind of stuff hurts. You might as well be trying to open a brothel in some cities. Then here you have people already in the business not only destroying their own lives but effecting the industry as a whole. Believe me, if you wanted to open a room in that town now and needed to jump a few hurdles to do so, it has become harder. I have been before city commissions and they are not dopes. If a commission in Iowa is considering something related to a pool room this week, believe me, they are aware of this case. Thats all I was saying.

SPetty
10-13-2003, 09:56 AM
From the quoted news article:
"Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney D.J. Hansen told the judge that Behrman had failed drug testing during the tournament."

So, when he was making this post...
Barry's US Open post (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=102723&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

...and saying things like...
"The most important thing I have learned while out for two weeks to run my event was to never put myself into that situation again, and I mean it.
By living my life more responsibly and do the right things maybe life will be better."

...he was failing his drug test?

I'm so confused... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Singlemalt
10-13-2003, 10:38 AM
My point exactly. I certainly wish him nothing but the best and hope he gets clean, but when he was making all the statements he did, just makes you wonder.

pooltchr
10-13-2003, 10:42 AM
I was wondering the same thing myself!

Tom_In_Cincy
10-13-2003, 11:01 AM
bolo,

I agree, the 'tainted' view of pool has been stereotyped by commissioners all over the US. This situation has not been easy to overcome. And, Barry's case doesn't help the cause either.

But, "hustling" isn't a just a POOL term. (although the general public accepts this association)

The Enron reference wasn't a good one, I admit.
You made your point.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Beating an addiction to anything is a long climb up a steep mountain, but it can be done. Everybody that speaks of Barry says he's a good guy, so I suggest we pray for his recovery.

Nostroke
10-13-2003, 11:30 AM
He might have taken the test but had not gotten the results but had assumed he had beaten it. Someone i know smoked pot everyday but managed to pass a drug test for a driving job (since fired) with the help of one of those "kits".

Anyway, addicts say all kinds of things. I was in booze Rehab in 81 and everyone talked the talk but but 100% of the people i stayed in contact with, fell off the wagon within 30 days, some the very first day! It aint easy and most everyone fails the first time.

Greg Adams
10-13-2003, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Beating an addiction to anything is a long climb up a steep mountain, but it can be done. Everybody that speaks of Barry says he's a good guy, so I suggest we pray for his recovery. <hr /></blockquote>

That is excellent Wally, many beat their demons and come back to live productive lives and stay clean. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bolo
10-13-2003, 11:35 AM
The thing that is difficult to understand is, where is his support group? How did his friends, family, as well his accountant and attorney let it get to this? The guy has problems and at a point you can not do it on your own. Someone needed to grab up the little guy and shake some sense into him. I see him when he gets out, going back for the full 6 years if he does not get the support and help he defiantly needs.

Rich R.
10-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Although the news article states that Barry failed his drug test, it also states that he alleges that he took some prescription drugs, that were over a year old.
No where in the article does it state that he failed the test because of cocaine or any other illegal drug.
We have all heard of Olympic athletes, and others, failing drug tests because of substances in both prescription and over the counter drugs. This is not impossible in Barry's case.

I don't want to say that Barry is innocent or guilty, but I don't think we have enough information to jump to conclusions.

At this point, I will give Barry the benefit of the doubt. I wish Barry the best, in his fight against drugs, for both his benefit and the benefit of his family.

cueball1950
10-13-2003, 11:51 AM
After talking with his son Brady i learned that it was indeed a legal prescription drug. Do you honestly think if it was an illegal drug the judge would only give him 6 months. I think if it was pot, cocaine or some other illegal drug the judge would have thrown the book at him. From what i understand he had to rpove to the judge that it was a prescription drug. maybe he has the same problem as russ limbaugh. Who knows. I do know that when i talked to him on person at the open he seemed pretty straight to me. and with being artound drug abusers all my life i think i would have known. His eyes were as clear as a bell the few times we talked. He also told me that he is finaly getting straight and has learned his lesson. Only time will tell if he is correct... Just my humble observations...Mike

Singlemalt
10-13-2003, 12:49 PM
IF this was a prescription drug, then it seems to me that he would NOT have gotten the 6-months.

When athletes test positive for "bannned" substances, such as ephedra, this is possible. Many different drugs have varying amounts or substances similar to a given drug, like ephedra in this case. I realize that you can never say 100% in these type of situations, but no matter what it makes you think. With his statements he wrote earlier, you would think he would not have taken something that could possibly even resemble an illegal substance or cause him to fail a test.

I am not jumping and calling him guilty, and guilty or not, I hope and pray for the man to get better and I mean that for the benefit of him and his family, not just in the perspective of his pool contributions.

tateuts
10-13-2003, 03:37 PM
What's truly amazing is that someone with these problems can put on an event the size and scope of the U.S. Open.

Chris

cycopath
10-13-2003, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> What's truly amazing is that someone with these problems can put on an event the size and scope of the U.S. Open.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

That in of it's self shows how much Barry loves and supports this sport. We need more like him.

cueball1950
10-13-2003, 08:51 PM
the reason he got the 6 months was for failing a drug test about 3 months ago. they violated his probation and put him in jail until he went back last friday. except for the week he was out on bail to run the open, he has already done 78 days of the sentence. Like everybody say's on here. we can only wish him luck and say a prayer for him that he recovers and comes back and continues to run the BEST tournament in the nation....................mike

stickman
10-13-2003, 09:12 PM
I suspect the judge is pretty full of himself. It's pretty common in positions of authority. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
10-13-2003, 09:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I suspect the judge is pretty full of himself. It's pretty common in positions of authority. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well, gee. The terms of his probation are to stay off drugs. He doesn't. Not only does he fail drug testing "several times" he fails to enroll in the rehab the court orders.

Don't blame the judge, please. They're cutting him tons of slack and he's screwing up.

Chris

cueball1950
10-13-2003, 10:57 PM
The court has cut barry tons, and i mean tons, of slack. he is the 1 who keeps screwing up. Hopefully this time he has learned his lesson. I know from personal experience,my son had a drug problem, that you cannot force someone into drug rehab or any other kind of rehab. It just does not work unless they really want to do it. I forced my son into rehab twice and he failed both times. The councelors told me that he has to want to do it for it to work. So hopefully he wants to do it and rehab works for him. He has so much to lose in the end......................mike

stickman
10-13-2003, 11:02 PM
I never made any indication that I thought Barry was blameless, but the judge's comment was still unnecessary. "He thinks he can hustle the world." How does the judge know what Barry is thinking? If a lawyer or witness made such a remark, he'd have it striken from the record. (Speculation) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Where's the self discipline he expects from everyone else in his court room?

stickman
10-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Mike, I hope Barry gets the help he needs, and more than that, I hope he wants it. Like you said, it won't work otherwise.

~~~~Been there, Done that~~~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Qtec
10-14-2003, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Enron has no relevance here <hr /></blockquote>

I think it does.
How many people were victims of Enron executives actions ?

How many people were victim's of Barry,s actions?

As far as I know,the only victim of Barry,s actions is himself.
IMO, he is not a criminal, he,s an addict.
He needs help, not condemnation.
Drug addiction is a disease; anybody can catch it.

Qtec

BTW, you cant blame B for the judge,s ignorance.

jjinfla
10-14-2003, 03:36 AM
Maybe the judge is a pool player and is just talking in the language Barry understands.

Jake

Qtec
10-14-2003, 05:16 AM
I dont think so. What the judge inffered is that because B owns a PH , he is a hustler.
Would he have said the same thing if B owned a hardware store?

Q

RUNaRAK
10-14-2003, 06:00 AM
I hope he straightens himself out. He is not a bad guy. Just a vice or 2, too many. Lift him up!

bolo
10-14-2003, 09:06 AM
It is more from his disrespect to the court that has already cut him a break. Judges don't like that and rightfully so. His trouble had I believe, more to do with the running of and illegal gambling house not for drugs. We also don't know what charges may have been dropped if any, in the course of making an original plea. Most people don't get put in jail for the use of drugs, it is crimes they commit and then blame on their addiction for committing the crime. If I get robbed at gun point, do you propose, just let him go because, "Hay, he just needed a fix"? Even an addict has a choice, this country spends millions to help people, all you have to do is ask.

"How many people were victims of Enron executives actions ?"

The answer is far fewer, then those that are victims on a daily basis of crimes that result from the use of drugs and that includes the legal ones including alcohol. Whole familes wiped out by drunk drivers. We worry about terrorists? The terrorists are all around us every day. Drunk and druged up drivers kill more people every few days in the US. then terrorists kill in a year world wide.
Oh by the way you mention Enron and cases like that. Many of those executives in cases like those, when pleading their cases always like to use substance abuse as an excuse for some of their actions, you hear it every day on the news, so here we are back to the drugs again. I know a lawyer in jail right now, who embezzled millions from escrow accounts all due to drugs. Was his drug use victimless? This is getting too far off the subject and should be on the other board.

Greg Adams
10-14-2003, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Maybe the judge is a pool player and is just talking in the language Barry understands.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

There is no way the judge is a pool player, if he was, he would have let him walk away not guilty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brady_Behrman
10-14-2003, 11:22 AM
My Father said that he does want to enroll in Rehab.

Brady_Behrman
10-14-2003, 11:24 AM
He has valid Prescriptions but since he has been in jail he hasnt renewed the prescription, he had them and took them (Vicodin) My father has had neck and back surgeries and thats why he uses them.

Brady_Behrman
10-14-2003, 11:26 AM
He got the 6 months because of vicodin. Not from failing a test months ago although that could have been a contributing factor

Brady_Behrman
10-14-2003, 11:29 AM
I think I know him better then ANYONE in the world. Believe me, I think he wants to get clean and take control of his business and choose better friends.

My father can and will kick it. He is very strong Minded! When he gets out, I will be here to help him.

Brady_Behrman
10-14-2003, 11:36 AM
I think unfortunately his jail time is what will clean him up and ensure a longer life. Like I said above, I will be here, I am drugFree (Have a beer occasionally), for him and I hope like hell he chooses the right friends and the right lifestyle.

My Father will do the right thing and stay on his toes. He has many goals and lots of potential. The support that he gets not only from you "The Community" will give him the strive to move forward

tateuts
10-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Brady,

I don't know if you feel like you have influence over his situation, but I will say that I think the encouragment of loved ones is the single most important outside influence in the recovery process. Importantly, you will have to be both supportive yet unyielding if he falters. If you or another family member can attend support meetings in rehab I would do it.

Drug addiction is a very complex thing. Once the chemical addiction wears of, there will probably be a period of severe depression. This is the time period where your father will be the most vulnerable. It will get better in time but your dad will need more willpower and determination than anyone can possibly imagine. Additionally, the family must be observant during times of severe despondency.

The good news is that people can and do recover. It just takes a lot of sincere effort and good support.

Best wishes to you.

Chris

Brady_Behrman
10-14-2003, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you feel like you have influence over his situation, but I will say that I think the encouragment of loved ones is the single most important outside influence in the recovery process. Importantly, you will have to be both supportive yet unyielding if he falters. If you or another family member can attend support meetings in rehab I would do it.
<hr /></blockquote>

I will be there for him.. Our family is not very loving, IMO. I am here for him, I have LOTS 'o' Love! My Father and I were not only father/son but best of friends. He was the best man in MY wedding. I am sure you'll that know us, remember.

[ QUOTE ]
Drug addiction is a very complex thing. Once the chemical addiction wears of, there will probably be a period of severe depression. This is the time period where your father will be the most vulnerable. It will get better in time but your dad will need more willpower and determination than anyone can possibly imagine. Additionally, the family must be observant during times of severe despondency.
<hr /></blockquote>

We just wont let him get lonely or associate himself with wrong people. He is Strong Minded and will overcome!

Thanks Alot for the support and I am sure he will love reading these posts

David Bray
10-14-2003, 12:38 PM
When Barry got out for those 12 days for the Open, he had been sitting in a jail cell for a while and after he got out, he was running around all over town preparing for the biggest event in mens pool. Not to mention running around at the event making sure that everthing was running smooth and making sure that you all, the fans, were having an enjoyable time. And with previous neck and back operations, staying up and working 18 hours a day, you're going to have pain, so he took a pill. (Belive me, I've had 2 MAJOR back operations in 3 years, and I take morphine for pain management just to make it thru a day at work, just like Barry took vicodin for his pain.) He went to his pharmicist and he told Barry that his perscription was still valid, and he even showed it to his P.O. and it was ok'd. So at that point it didn't seem to be a problem, but somehow it became a big issue in court. Barry is set on getting on the straight and narrow and with the help of his family, friends, his employees, myself and many others he will make it thru this and carry on to make things better. Don't come down on him for popping pills, it's pain management! The only problem was that the perscription was out of date, and that's why they came down on him.

Brady_Behrman
10-14-2003, 12:42 PM
David, Nice Post.

It seemed as if the judge wouldnt even hear it and i think the lawyers could have talked about it..

stevelomako
10-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Brady,

Do yourself a favor and look at this site www.addictionwithdrawal.com (http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com)

The biggest problem addicts have other than themselves are people that enable them to get away with it. You cannot justify drug use by saying they are prescription medications. These are the easiest to get and the most addicting and I'll bet he was taking xanax with the vicodin, Drs. like to give them out in pairs. Some of them are the worst piece's of garbage around, take the money-write the script-see ya later. They don't deal with the aftermath, the family's do.

Remember that word..Enablement. I've been thru this with friends and family and I don't envy you in the least. Trying to make excuse's or justifying thing's for them is enabling them to get away with it. You cannot let them enable you to help them with their problem. Addicts are the GREATEST liars in the world. They don't start out that way, it happens.

If you read the site and see how powerful and addicting RX drugs are it'll help. Sometimes you feel like you're the only one dealing with this and no one knows what you're going thru or feel, but trust me you're not. It's hard hanging in there and coping with it (I've shed enough tears to know) and sometimes you have to make decisions that suck and hurt but, you cannot enable them to use you. That can't be said enough....DO NOT ENABLE THEM TO USE YOU.

Here if you need an ear,
Steve

bolo
10-14-2003, 09:25 PM
I am glad you wrote your post. I have twice writen posts and deleted them not wanting to sound like a hard ass, but you are right on the money.

cueball1950
10-14-2003, 10:34 PM
I know what steve is speaking of. When i had the problem with my son who was/is on drugs i finally had to get tough and make a decision that hurt me teribly. I told my son just before he family went away on vacation that he had until we returned home to make a decision. Get rid of the drugs and his girlfriend (who was a drunk) or move out. he was 22 at the time. The next time i saw my son was 5 1/2 years later. It hurt like hell and even when he did get in touch later he came for a visit so we could se my new grandson and when he left alot of my pain killers were also gone. I confronyed him but he denied it loudly and often. His wife called me,(not the drunk) and told me that he has indeed taken them. So now my son cannot be left alone when he comes to visit. It hurts but you have to do what you have to do. Hope fully Barry will get this support, and if he violates that trust and support then everyone should walk away and let him hit bottom. The Dr's have told me that alot of times that is the only way some people can change. They have to hit bottom before they can seek help. I am a very, very big supporter of Barry's and will continue to support him in whatever he treis to do. Hell he can even call me from Jail if he wants to for support. Brady has my number and maybe should give it to him. I would love to help him just like alot of other people here on this board...................................mike

cueball1950
10-14-2003, 10:39 PM
By the way. the DR"S called this "TOUGH LOVE" and boy was it tough. My wife, who alot of people on here know is very sick and believe me when i tell you this. She cried for about 2 years everytime she thought about him.especially around the holidays.......nuff said...BARRY.. PLEASE GET THE HELP YOU NEED...mike

tateuts
10-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Steve,

The web site you suggested is excellent. Vicodin is in the same class as Oxycontin - the drug Rush Limbaugh is addicted to.

Is this is the best the medical profession can do, prescribing highly addictive pain killers?

Chris

stevelomako
10-15-2003, 04:44 AM
The previous post's have had have me crying the last few hours thinking of everything. It sucks to let someone you love with all your heart hit the bottom but sometimes it's the only thing you can do. You can always be there but you can't let them manipulate.

I'm thankful everyday how it's worked out for us but it still doesn't hurt and hurt deeply thinking about it. Addicts are numb to the pain and hurt they cause the REAL people that love them and when they get clean they usually don't even remember most of it because they've been in such a fog. I suppose that's a blessing in disguse because there's already been enough hurt and they don't need to feel the heartache we've felt.

There ARE answer's to the problem's but some are hard to do regarding "legal" drugs, street drugs and the persons involved with them, too much money in it for people that don't give a damn what happens to others.

A good example I like to give about how hard it is to change things in the world is........if we taught every baby born from this day forward to love and respect everyone it would still take 80-90 years to wipe out all the hate in the world. Hard, but possible (impossible just means it hasn't been done yet).

I like to think we can all help each other, we really are all the same family.

Take care,
Steve