PDA

View Full Version : The Parodox Of Pool Addiction

Sid_Vicious
10-13-2003, 07:18 PM
I have a theoretical question. I'm in my middle age stage(50+) and I play a lot, more than my body has stamina for many times. Yet, I'm at the PH because I like it there, and even though I'm not sensing that I am breaking down physically, I seemingly find it impossible to just sit and watch others...I've got to take the challenge.

Question: Is it "backing up" to be stuck in a have-to keep playing mode, does it create bad habits maybe? I know I'll go downhill each long evening, and yet I wonder whether I gain some little something from the persistence and fortitude of playing, but again it might be a purely foolish thought to keep in there no matter what. Sure it costs me some lost monies, still I have to wonder if in the long term, I am making some strength for myself that the lighter weighted hitter never will. I edited this original cuz it sounded like I was self promoting to my own ideas...I can take the criticism. Opinions???sid

stickman
10-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Sid, It sounds like you and I are both around the same age. My thoughts are to stick with it. My game dropped off quite a bit when I got sick and didn't play for some time. I was committed to getting my game back and then came my divorce. The divorce is final, but we still haven't settled the property division. I'm basically bankrupt, monetarily, for the time being. If I could, I'd be at the pool hall playing the felt off the table. If nothing else, if it's fun for you, keep doing it. Life's too darn short friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cuttyshark
10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Sounds like you could be stuck in a downward spiral ego battle and it's being fueled with defeatist, over-the-hill, rationalizations.
While out of context, here's your words:
I play a lot, more than my body has stamina for many times. I am breaking down physically...
I find it impossible to just sit and watch others...
...to be stuck(in a have-to keep playing mode)
...create bad habits maybe?
I know I'll go downhill each long evening...

Then you question if there's some good in the continuance of this struggle:
I wonder whether I gain some little something...fortitude.. am I making some strength for myself that the lighter weighted hitter never will?

While it may be macho to keep going back into the ring, round after round when you know you're spent, a ref would have called this one a long time ago.

My advice: take a break from it. Get on an exercise program and build your strength up and get your vision back.

Vapros
10-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Sid, I've been past 50 for quite a while, and I'll tell you something that you probably already know. Everything is tougher than it used to be. You can take care of yourself and slow down the process, but it never stops. Life will grind you down if you refuse to recognize this fact.

In all things, draw a line at the point where you begin to feel the fatigue. It's probably also the point at which your game suffers. There will be little satisfaction in playing past your limit, just for the sake of persevering.

Be realistic. The younger guys can hang in there longer than you can. When you've had enough, leave it with them. Get used to it. It doesn't have to make you miserable.

There are some advantages to becoming a senior citizen. I used to know what they were. . . .

jjinfla
10-14-2003, 03:51 AM
Hey Sid, When you were younger and you heard people saying that "life begins at 50". Well, now you are finding out that they were lying.

It's all down hill after 50. The eyes aren't as sharp. The miraculous healing powers are gone. The get up and go is gone.

All you can do is admit it and realize your limitations. Now is the time to pick your battles and play guys you can beat. It is too late to fight the big one now. No more macho stuff. You see what happened to Zimmer. You just come out looking like an old fool. The harder you try, the faster your body wears down.

Jake

Leviathan
10-14-2003, 05:52 AM
I dunno, Sid. Sounds like that last half hour at the table isn't doing you much good. Maybe you'd be wise to spend a little less time at the PH and get a little more exercise, do some stretching. A little exercise and stretching can increase one's stamina and flexibility a lot. I'm in my fifties and play lousy pool--but I'd only play worse if I spent any more time at the PH.

DM

pooltchr
10-14-2003, 05:56 AM
Sid, I am in the same boat. I can start strong, but if a tournament runs into the late night/early morning hours, I wear down. Now I just play as long as it's fun. If the back starts to give out, or the legs get weak, I pack it up and go home. If I know I have a big event coming up, I will work on the endurance, make sure I'm rested up, and try to conserve my energy for the matches. Like someone stated earlier, pick your battles. Have fun. And every once in a while, get down and show these young kids that us old guys can still handle a pool cue!

stickman
10-14-2003, 07:58 AM
I guess I should have read your post a little more closely. As so many others have pointed out, I'm not sure it's good to push yourself beyond your limits. At our age, you're not so apt to increase your endurance, as wear yourself down. Play as long as it's fun, not til it hurts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9 Ball Road Pro
10-14-2003, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I have a theoretical question. I'm in my middle age stage(50+) and I play a lot, more than my body has stamina for many times. Yet, I'm at the PH because I like it there, and even though I'm not sensing that I am breaking down physically, I seemingly find it impossible to just sit and watch others...I've got to take the challenge.

Question: Is it "backing up" to be stuck in a have-to keep playing mode, does it create bad habits maybe? I know I'll go downhill each long evening, and yet I wonder whether I gain some little something from the persistence and fortitude of playing, but again it might be a purely foolish thought to keep in there no matter what. Sure it costs me some lost monies, still I have to wonder if in the long term, I am making some strength for myself that the lighter weighted hitter never will. I edited this original cuz it sounded like I was self promoting to my own ideas...I can take the criticism. Opinions???sid <hr /></blockquote>

You can push your self and over play, then get stale, lose interest, play bad. That is why golfers take so much time off, they do not want the mind to become bored, they want to be hungry to play when they go out.

You cant take on and play every guy who comes down the pike, choose your games and matches wisely, then you win most of them.

Know your endurance limits and stay within them, never push your self out of what you can do now naturally and still feel good doing it. Drink a lot of water when you play, water is oil to the joints. 2 hrs Before you play, take 500 mg aspirin and 2 alleve with a glass of milk or with light food. When you get to the pool hall repeat the dose of medicine and again with milk. The Alleve will keep you from getting stiff. You can repeat this, every two hours for 4 times, which can get you through a long night. You will be dancing around the table now like a young spry filly and have more energy than a buck rat. Try it, see if it helps, it can make you feel like your 19 again. Your eyes, not much you can do about that but get glasses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

stick8
10-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Hello Sid: snape out of it, enjoy life!! I am 65yr and I still play fair stick pool !!! I tell all the young guyes that it noy so bad getting old, I have Rogain for my hair, Titanium, for my golf clubs, and Vagara for my sex life1!!what more could a old man wont???? shoot straight STICK

Pizza Bob
10-14-2003, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stick8:</font><hr> Titanium, for my golf clubs, and Vagara for my sex <hr /></blockquote>

Hence, the monniker STICK!

Adios,

Pizza Bob&lt;----couldn't resist

Rod
10-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Well Sid, I think we all have played past our physical condition. We all have played past being mentally sharp. Either one, but IMO especially mentally it is likely to be a waste of time. I can be tired but if I'm still mentally ready to go, then it's still ok. When both happens, then I'm batting balls and waisting my time.

I can't imagine your doing anything positive by playing past your physical and like I said your mental capability. I think it's possible your creating bad habits, after all your brain may no longer be engaged. LOL In that case though, you may not remember them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rather than take 41 pills and blow up your liver I have a suggestion. I see a lot of out of shape pool players, men and women. If we work on that program, being in better physical shape will keep us up and playing longer. That aspect will weigh less on the mental and keep you sharp longer. I think it's a guaranteed fact that being out of shape takes it's toll on everything we do.

I've been working on being in better shape and loosing a little weight. One was quit smoking, a while back (thank you, I'm not ever smoking again). I gained a few pounds, so I started to look like some of the fat ass out of shape people out there. I walk at least 1 1/4 miles in the morning and late afternoon. I sleep well ( that single problem was like a huge cloud or heavy weight I carried most of my life). I thought it was a life sentence of misery.

How do I play pool now? How do I do anything now? I really don't get tired, no naps etc, I'm ready. LOL Now if I could just see like I did a few years ago---------------

Rod

jjinfla
10-14-2003, 12:43 PM
quote 9 ball road pro:

2 hrs Before you play, take 500 mg aspirin and 2 alleve with a glass of milk or with light food. When you get to the pool hall repeat the dose of medicine and again with milk. The Alleve will keep you from getting stiff. You can repeat this, every two hours for 4 times, which can get you through a long night. You will be dancing around the table now like a young spry filly and have more energy than a buck rat.
________

Of course then you might collapse on the floor and die from all the GI bleeding the combination of Aleve and Aspirin can cause. Check with a local pharmacist before you try any home remedies. Not a good idea to be combining different drugs. Yes you can take two aspirin every half hour for four times for pain but I sure wouldn't do it more than once a year.

Jake---I prefer JD for pain.

SPetty
10-15-2003, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> One was quit smoking, a while back (thank you, I'm not ever smoking again). Period. <hr /></blockquote>Congratulations, Rod. Notice how you're no longer trying to quit. You are a certified non-smoker now. If you ever smoke again, it will be because you chose to smoke again (and, of course, that wouldn't be a very good choice!)

Kudos!

I talked to a pool player a few weeks ago who said he didn't start smoking until he was 52 years old! Wow! Too soon old, too late smart!

SPetty
10-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi Sid,

I missed the post before the edit, so I don't know if I'm missing something here or not... I can't quite tell what the gist of the question is.

If you're asking: "Hey, I'm in the pool room anyway, should I be playing even if poorly if I'm enjoying it?", I think the answer is a resounding yes.

If you're asking: "I'm not playing well and it hurts and it's no fun, should I even be in the pool room?", well, probably not.

If your goal is to win all the time then something should probably be changed, but if you're there because it's fun and you're having a good time, it's all good. It's not like you're playing pool for a living (yet), right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8 ball ho
10-15-2003, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Sid,

I missed the post before the edit, so I don't know if I'm missing something here or not... I can't quite tell what the gist of the question is.

If you're asking: "Hey, I'm in the pool room anyway, should I be playing even if poorly if I'm enjoying it?", I think the answer is a resounding yes.

If you're asking: "I'm not playing well and it hurts and it's no fun, should I even be in the pool room?", well, probably not.

If your goal is to win all the time then something should probably be changed, but if you're there because it's fun and you're having a good time, it's all good. It's not like you're playing pool for a living (yet), right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I do not get that wolf, since when is taking over the counter aspirin and alleve, simple pain killers, doing drugs. That is silly, but what do you expect from a silly person like him.

A different twist on this thread, is was pool addiction, and it can be. It can be as addictive as an illegal street drug. One cannot just drink non stop, nor do drugs, nor play pool. The secret to life is to maintain control, and do things in moderation, never to excess. Play pool for fun, never allow it to become your only life and mistress. Out side of the pool hall, ladies like me are dying to meet nice guys like you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
10-15-2003, 01:44 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-15-2003, 02:10 PM
Paradox is the key to the subject. I'm going to be at the PH unless I force myself elsewhere, and listening to others breaking and pocketing balls is going to keep me wanting to get out of the chair to play. Then the clock runs until maybe closing time at 230am, and yes I call it fun and at the same time my body goes into the destruction routine much like the Bluesmobile did at the Chicago tax assessors office. Up until that time I felt up to par(well my child inside does anyway), and yet the games were proving me to be less of a performer in the win/loss aspects. BUT it comes down to the paradox, the addiction, the will to keep doing the pool thing relentlessly out of shear desire which many times ends in a semi-to-dismal showing of personal performance. I just wanted to know if there was a positive to be found out of being such a pool nut who can't resist the opportunity to rack and play again, no matter the time or whether the body if throwing hints that it's weary. I played 24 hours out of 48 last weekend, honest to God, and yet I went back on the third day like usual at 1PM, even though my body screamed for a break. Funny thing was, I seemed to not notice it much after the first break that third day. I pondered whether there may be some level of physical stamina, or a level of endorphins created which cover up the pain in the human body from marathons such as my past weekend? I also wondered if it was purely foolish to consider that at all, and that forcing myself away from "the game" would save more of my game for the next day instead of toughen it...sid~~~thinks it's either commendable or foolish to keep at it

Gayle in MD
10-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Hey Sid,
How ya doin' friend? Here's my advice kiddo, I say GO FOR IT! So what if you get tired, or your game goes down a little? So what if you lose a few extra bucks? If you're having fun, have at it friend.

I'm no young chick, that's for sure, but there are few younger people who can keep up with me when I am doing something I love to do. As long as you don't notice an overall decline in your health, I don't think that pushing yourself hurts you a bit. Enjoying every moment that you can is what keeps us vibrant and involved in life, and enthused enough to stay in the game of living life to the utmost.

It's the folks who can't wait to get home to the sofa, chips and remote that need to worry, LOL. The day will come soon enough when our bodies refuse us. It is our spirit which keeps us young. Make hey while the sun shines, friend, and screw the golden years!

Love,
Gayle In Md...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif