PDA

View Full Version : The importance of visualization

Ross
10-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Check out the 1st couple of .wav files at http://news.mc.duke.edu/news/article.php?id=7100

First, I'm really impressed with how well Dr. Nicolelis explains his findings in laymans terms. But more to the point, I think his results relate to why we miss shots or leaves when we can't really visualize them happening.

Also check out the cute-as-hell video animation "robot arm.swf" at the bottom of the page.

Interesting stuff, IMO.

pooltchr
10-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Ross,
Thanks for the post. I think you are correct in your linking these findings to the importance of visualization of our shots. If he needs some subjects to test this theory out, let me know. I would be more than happy to spend a few hours in a pool room in the name of science!
Steve

Rod
10-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Ross,

I haven't read the article yet, I will a little later. I have always put visualization at the top of the list. With out it you can't complete your plan, or you don't have a "finished" plan. You have to be able to see the path of the c/b and sometimes o/b. You have to see that and program the stroke to complete your visual plan.

Like I said, if you don't have a visual plan then how can you execute the needed stroke? A random guess may get one in the area but be dead hooked or a bad or wrong angle.

Rod

8 ball ho
10-14-2003, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Ross,

I haven't read the article yet, I will a little later. I have always put visualization at the top of the list. With out it you can't complete your plan, or you don't have a "finished" plan. You have to be able to see the path of the c/b and sometimes o/b. You have to see that and program the stroke to complete your visual plan.

Like I said, if you don't have a visual plan then how can you execute the needed stroke? A random guess may get one in the area but be dead hooked or a bad or wrong angle.

Rod

<hr /></blockquote>

My teacher gave that to me in my first pool lesson and it's worked like a charm ever since. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alfie
10-14-2003, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> My teacher gave that to me in my first pool lesson and it's worked like a charm ever since. <hr /></blockquote>Who was your teacher?

Ross
10-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Rod - that's the good thing about the link. You don't have to read it - the good dr. explains what he did clealy in a few short .wav files.

Last night I played a couple of sets and really concentrated on either visualizing the shot or rethinking it when I couldn't. I found there were a couple of shots that I could not intuitively visualize in terms of the precise path the cue ball would take - for those I had to use my intellectual side and guess based on tangent line etc. Also interesting to me was that when using side english the speed of the hit affects how much deflection you have to allow for so you have to incorporate the speed of the hit into your visualization as well.

8 ball ho
10-15-2003, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> My teacher gave that to me in my first pool lesson and it's worked like a charm ever since. <hr /></blockquote>Who was your teacher? <hr /></blockquote>

Oh He's the best teacher in the country, that is why I now play so good. He's known as the man of steel in Key West. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RUNaRAK
10-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Who or how is he rated the best teacher in the country? What is his name? Curious how one would gain such a "title?"

Wally_in_Cincy
10-16-2003, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> Who or how is he rated the best teacher in the country? What is his name? Curious how one would gain such a "title?"
<hr /></blockquote>

8 ball ho's teacher was on Ripley's "Believe it or Not"

Personally I choose not to believe.

8 ball ho
10-16-2003, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> Who or how is he rated the best teacher in the country? What is his name? Curious how one would gain such a "title?"
<hr /></blockquote>

He is also called the Big Cahuna, he is a great diver as well. One gets known as the best, simply because he is the best, for no other reason. In every facet of life or sports, there is always one who is the best. Those who are not, love to throw stones at that great one and drag him down, that is called jealousy and envy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfie
10-16-2003, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> He's known as the man of steel in Key West.<hr /></blockquote> Does he have a name?

8 ball ho
10-16-2003, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> He's known as the man of steel in Key West.<hr /></blockquote> Does he have a name? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, we call him MOS, or big cahuna. I was going to tell you who he was, but since Wally smarted his mouth off, now I am not going to. Wally is obviously the board Karnak, you remember the old Johnny Carson show, Karnak knew the answer to the question before you gave him the question, well that is Wally, so ask him, he knows all, don't ask me.

I will tell you one thing, my teacher is not posting on this board, that one is a given.

Men, cant live with you guys, cant live without you. Its a Venus Mars thing. The problem is you guys think different from us ladies, you think backwards, in other words, you all think wrong and we think right. The attachement might help you to understand your problem better.

Male/Female Humor

1. NAMES
If Laurie, Linda, Elizabeth and Barbara go out for lunch, they will
call each other Laurie, Linda, Elizabeth and Barbara.
If Mark, Chris, Eric and Tom go out, they will affectionately refer
to each other as Fat Boy, Godzilla, Peanut-Head and Scrappy.

2. EATING OUT
When the bill arrives, Mark, Chris, Eric and Tom will each throw in
$20, even though it's only for $32.50. None of them will have anything
smaller and none will actually admit they want change back. When the
girls get their bill, out come the pocket calculators.

3. MONEY
A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs. A woman will pay $1 for a
$2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.

4. BATHROOMS
A man has five items in his bathroom: a toothbrush, shaving cream,
razor, a bar of soap, and a towel from the Marriott. The average number
of
items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to
identify most of these items.

5. ARGUMENTS
A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after
that is the beginning of a new argument.

6. CATS
Women love cats. Men say they love cats, but when women aren't
looking, men kick cats.

7. FUTURE
A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband. A man
never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

8. SUCCESS
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can
spend.
A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

9. MARRIAGE
A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't. A
man marries a woman expecting that she won't change and she does.

10. DRESSING UP
A woman will dress up to go shopping, water the plants, empty the
garbage, answer the phone, read a book, and get the mail. A man will
dress
up
for weddings and funerals.

11. NATURAL
Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed. Women somehow
deteriorate during the night.

12. OFFSPRING
Ah, children.
A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist
appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears
and
hopes and
dreams.
A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

13. THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two
people remembering the same thing.

A couple drove down a country road for several miles, not saying a
word. An earlier discussion had led to an argument and neither of them
wanted to concede their position. As they passed a barnyard of mules,
jack
asses, and pigs, the husband asked sarcastically, "Relatives of yours?"
"Yep," the wife replied, "in-laws."

While attending a marriage seminar on communication, David and
his wife listened to the instructor declare, "It is essential that
husbands and wives know the things that are important to each other."
He addressed the man, "Can you describe your wife's favorite flower?"
David leaned over, touched his wife's arm gently and whispered,
"Pillsbury All-Purpose, isn't it?" It got ugly after that.

Who makes the coffee at your house?
Did you know it's a sin for a woman to make coffee?
Yup, it's in the Bible!
It says....
HEBREWS!"

Ross
10-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Admin, please close this thread or move it to "non-pool related." The original post was about a study that showed fairly dramatically how visualization and actual body movement are so completely entertwined, which is pretty relevant to successfully playing pool. I had hoped to read the thoughts of others about the topic. Unfortunately, "9 ball ho" has done his typical trolling and unfortunatly posters responded and managed to get the thread completely off topic and, in fact, finally off pool completely.

8 ball ho
10-16-2003, 03:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>

Ross, it was Wally that did that, not me, got this off on a new topic but so what, chill out dude. Rossi, you even got my name wrong, I am not 9 ball, but 8 ball. Big baby, not all is lost, you might learn something new here, like how to get along with a female and it seems nobody on this board has a clue how to do that very well. Where is there a rule that a thread cannot branch off into a new sub thread, or is that a Ross rule. I though this was a chat board, and we could chat, but is it, we can only chat on what Ross gives us permission to chat on. You should run for President of Iraq, you would get along well there, people there are used to guys like you. Ross, we are talking here, go take a hike, or start a new thread. More help is again attached. Go tell Wally he messed up your thread, perhaps lethal injection should be his punishment?
This is all you boys ever need to know, have these 30 rules tatooed under your eyelids.

-30 RULES TO LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER WITH A FEMALE

(1) The female always makes the rules.
(2) The rules are subject to change at any time without prior notification.
(3) No male can possibly know all of the rules
(4) If the female suspects the male knows all the rules, she must immediately change some or all of the rules.
(5) The female is never wrong, if you have a problem with this, go back and re read the first rule.
(6) If the female is wrong, it is because of a flagrant misunderstanding which was a direct result of something the male did or said wrong. In other words, the female is of course a perfect person and incapable of making an error, if one occurs, the male made her do it, therefore it was the male’s mistake and error.
(7) When rule 6 applies, the male must apologize immediately for causing the problem and beg for forgiveness.
(8) The female can change her mind at any given point in time.
(9) The male is never allowed to change his mind without the prior written consent from the female and after that draft cleared her lawyer’s desk.

(10) The female has the right to be angry or upset at any time; the male must always be aware of what her problem is and solve it with flowers and tenderness.

(11) The male must remain calm at all times, unless the female wants him to be angry or upset, then she will nag him into a brain coma.

(12) The female must under no set of circumstances ever let the male know whether or not she wants him to be angry or upset, he is expected to be constantly aware of her every mood shift.

(13) Any attempt to document or change these rules can and will result in bodily hard to the male.

(14) If the female has PMS, all rules are null and void, go back to rule one; the female will make all new rules during this period of her period.

(15) The female may spend as much of her husbands income as she pleases as long as what she buys is on sale and with a 25% discount or more.

(16) The female can have a headache and be out of commission for any reason she chooses to, for as long as she wants to.

(17) The male is never allowed in her bathroom or allowed to touch or use any of her things. If he does, then re read rule 16 which is now in force.

(18) The male must always place the stool lid in a down position when he is leaving; it shows he is properly trained on under the tight control of his master.

(19) A woman of course has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

(20) A woman when she is married makes a man think she will change, but she will not, she will keep on doing what she likes doing. She of course begins at once with a full mind and body make over of the man in order to transform him into the image she has of what he must become.

(21) A man is never allowed to look at the female when she gets up in the morning. The male must avert his eyes, until the rollers are out of her hair and full make up is applied.

(22) If the man fails to accomplish rule 20, or is in constant default of rule 10 and ignores any of the other vital rules of his conduct, the female may find an immediate replacement, get a lawyer, take the males home and 5 cars, clean out his bank account and plunge him into total poverty for the next five years while the injured wife recovers in St Thomas on her ex’s life savings that she just got half of.

(23) The male must treat the female’s mother in law the same as his wife and both fall under all of these same rules and laws. The same respect must be given to her entire family. The female may ignore the sub humans on the male’s side of the family if she chooses to, except during Xmas day, then she must be nice.

(24) Everything in the home is the sole and total property of the female. The only thing in the home the male is allowed to own is a set of golf clubs, a bowling ball and a pool cue and the tools in his work shop.

(25) All repairs in the home, all yard work, all car repairs and maintenance are the sole responsibility of the male.

(26) If any of the kids grow up bad or come out wrong, it was the bad influence and improper training from the male.

(27) If the male is ever seen kicking the females cat, re read rule 16.

(28) If the male ever comes home late from his boys night out, or has any perfume smells on him, or any detectable marks from another female, re read rule 16.

(29) The male must tell the female that she is beautiful, that he loves her, that she is the most sexy thing on earth at least 10 times a day, that he could never live with out her, the first day he fails to do that, rule 22 may be put into effect at once.

(30) Men, every female should own one.

Qtec
10-16-2003, 04:26 PM
You forgot rule 31.

Assh##es should shut the f##k up.

O.Wilde
"better to be thought of as a fool than to open one,s mouth and confirm it".

For you,
"better to be talked about badly, than not to be talked about at all".

Give it up.
Please..............................

Q

plato 17
10-17-2003, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> You forgot rule 31.

Assh##es should shut the f##k up.

Clubbie,Why qtip, what a intelligent response, so eloquent, so refined, so you, so pool. What does one expect from one like you who clubs little female sheep in the head then runs around holding them by their tails. What do you do with them when you get them home and in your bedroom?

Why do you have a problem with simple humor, a parady on your macho mentality, there is always the option to laugh at ones own self and enjoy that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Greg Adams
10-17-2003, 02:29 PM
I thought this was funny as hell. I learned a long time ago, if you move in with a woman and you want happiness, you begin to kiss her butt and give up to her what she wants, then eveything goes along just swell.

JoJo
10-17-2003, 09:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Greg Adams:</font><hr> I thought this was funny as hell. I learned a long time ago, if you move in with a woman and you want happiness, you begin to kiss her butt and give up to her what she wants, then eveything goes along just swell. <hr /></blockquote>

Here is a riddle for you, what is an 8 ball ho who has PMS and a bad attitude who beats all men with her advanced ESP.
Answer: A bitch who knows everything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

road runner 711
10-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Trying to satisfy and make the 8 ball ho happy, would be like trying to rape a wild bob cat, the scratches are not worth it.

Qtec
10-17-2003, 10:37 PM
You are right. My apologies. I could have put it better but I wasnt in a good frame of mind.
I'd just lost in the semi's at the local PH by scratching in the middle pocket.Came back from 3-1 down,played a couple of brave shots to give me the chance of the runout and was left with this shot.

START(
%Ad7C9%HQ7N6%JV7J7%L`0N4%Mb1G5%NI1V2%OW0P3%PW2H0%Q[4]5%Ur5D0
%Vf8C9%Wb7D0%XY4G1%Yr0I8%Zd7D9%][3\0%^r9K2
)END

Boy was I sick.

What I wanted to say was that you have no respect for the subject of the thread. If you want to start a post,fine. I,m just getting a little tired of you trashing every discussion.

Q