PDA

View Full Version : What goes on in your head?

Paul_Mon
10-14-2003, 11:30 AM
I've got a little time on my hands and have always wondered about something. When I'm thinking about pool and visualizing shots in my head there is a common theme. All (and I mean 100%) of the shots, patterns, games played, trick shots are on a 9 foot Simonis covered table using Centenial balls. Whenever someone here describes a shot or ask for help about playing a certain game I think about their post and visualize it on that 9' Simonis coverd table with Centenial balls. On occasion someone will specify a 6 or 7 foot table or one of the scores of different cue balls in use but this info is generally left out. This way of thinking is reinforced by what I always see on TV. BTW, I seldom play in bars and my home and local pool room are equipped as described above. So I gotta ask.

When you think about pool what size table, type cloth and balls are you thinking of?

Paul Mon~~~~~~bored with flame wars

RedHell
10-14-2003, 11:37 AM
I belive this to be a direct relation to what you are use to play on. In my case, BlackCrown, Aramith, Simonis 860...

cycopath
10-14-2003, 12:15 PM
I guess my mental image would have to encompass a Valley 7ft with worn felt and crappy bar balls. And some obnoxious country song blaring from crumby speakers. Throw in a couple of drunk rednecks hooping and hollering from across the room because one of them ran three friggin' balls.

I wish I had a decent poolhall close by.

Karatemom
10-14-2003, 01:06 PM
I always think about it on a 7' Diamond Smart Table, 860 covered Simonis cloth, with Aramith balls, and a red circle cue ball. That's what the majority of the tournaments out here are played on and with. My 9' table game needs some work, but in order to get anywhere out here, bar tables is where it's at.

Heide

phil in sofla
10-14-2003, 05:30 PM
I rarely think about pool tables or shots when I'm away from a table, except occasionally to use an imagined exercise of making 15 balls spread across the headstring up to the corner pockets with ball in hand on each one to go to sleep! (I get to maybe the 5 ball before I pass out, generally).

But, I guess my mind's pool table and balls are like the ones you describe, since I almost always shoot on 9-footers with Simonis, etc.

Kato
10-14-2003, 07:47 PM
The things that go on in my head when I'm away from the table are far too frightening to explain.

Put me at a table and ask me how I hit this shot or that one I won't know. Ask me how I made the 5 ball in this rack and I'll have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

When I'm playing it's the only time I'm ever truly relaxed. I prefer not to think. Sadly I don't visualize shots, my mind refuses to think in those dimensions unless I'm asleep. It's a flaw that will impede my progress for years to come.

Kato

Voodoo Daddy
10-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Good post Paul, I have that GC II with 760 Simonis cloth and 2nd generation Centenial balls in my head. I visualize all the balls up-table and having to bank them back into my hole!!! Live and die One Hole.....

Voodoo~~~happy to back on "pool" track!

8 ball ho
10-14-2003, 10:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I guess my mental image would have to encompass a Valley 7ft with worn felt and crappy bar balls. And some obnoxious country song blaring from crumby speakers. Throw in a couple of drunk rednecks hooping and hollering from across the room because one of them ran three friggin' balls.

I wish I had a decent poolhall close by. <hr /></blockquote>

Throw me into that picture as well, that is the world I live in also, bar boxes from hell. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
10-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Good question Paul,

I visualize Centennial balls rolling on a 9 foot CG II or III with 860 Simonis and a Blue Circle.

I can put it together on a Valley with championship cloth and a Red Circle. Even the Valley ball is OK provided it is mentioned in the shot.

Hearing what happens and a wei to illustrate can make a description easier to follow. However when some people describe what they are trying to make happen, their going to need a trick table. LOL

What I would like to vision, and play on, is my first scenario with rails that are livelier. Sigh, I don't see that very often.

Rod

cueball1950
10-14-2003, 10:21 PM
Good question. Since i play alot of 3 cushion billiards i am always thinking of ways to make different shots and if it would work. I usually play on a gold crown 11 5x10 billiards table. We do have a 5x10 heated soren sogard which i rarely use. I must be old fashioned. Anyway when i get to the pool hall i go directly to the table and try the shots using different angles and english just to learn how the cue ball will actually react. I have also tried this playing 9 ball and have tried different ways of getting out of difficult situations. I firmly believe it has helped my 9 ball game.(playing billiards that is). hard to play me safe most times. i may not be able to make it but i cna most times hit it.............................mike

Gayle in MD
10-16-2003, 05:00 AM
Hi there, and an interesting post.
At home, I play on my 9 ft. Diamond Pro, with pro cut pockets, simonis cloth, S. Aramith balls. When I think about playing pool, I never have any particular table in mind. I play on so many different kinds of tables in public, from the worst to the best, I made up my mind long ago that equipment, sticks, balls, tables, cloth, rails, non of that would be important to me. One place, the Swamp Circle Saloon, LOL, has one table, bar box, dead rails, and a short stick for the two corners that are too close to the wall, LOL.
I do notice when I practice first here at home, then go out to shoot on other tables with bigger pockets, any size table, the game seems much easier to me. Only thing that gets to me is poor lighting....

Gayle in Md. When it comes to tables, love the one you're with, LOL....

Eric.
10-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Hey, welcome home, Paul!

My head? Well after you wade past the old motorcycle parts, empty beer bottles, various nudie magazines and my 2 remaining brain cells, I imagine things on a GC IV with 860 Simonis, Centennial balls, Blue Circle CB. It just happens to be the table I spend alot of time on...

Eric &gt;need to clean house