PDA

View Full Version : Billiard cues

nAz
10-14-2003, 11:39 AM
well I think its time i took the plunge and bought a Billiard cue, I'm getting tired of using my break cue for 3C.
Can anyone recommend a good one for under $300?
Are there any Billiard cue makers out here that can make one under $300-400? I know that is a cheap price for a custom but i thought I'd ask anyway.

RedHell
10-14-2003, 11:49 AM
You can always check Ron Kilby... Not sure about your price range tho !

Kilby's Cue (http://www.caromcues.com)

Fred Agnir
10-14-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> well I think its time i took the plunge and bought a Billiard cue, I'm getting tired of using my break cue for 3C.
Can anyone recommend a good one for under $300?
Are there any Billiard cue makers out here that can make one under $300-400? I know that is a cheap price for a custom but i thought I'd ask anyway. <hr /></blockquote> It's tough for me not to suggest a Schuler Cue.

Fred

nAz
10-14-2003, 12:22 PM
your the 2nd person to recomend him. his stuff looks nice especially Cue #3 sweat!

nAz
10-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Yeah Fred i was looking at his website wonder what his custon cue go for, must be big bucks.

RedHell
10-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Pizza Bob would be a better person to recommand him, all I can do is say that he does billiard cues.

I saw Bob's cue when he came to visit, and I must admit, Ron's work is awsome. Extremely well finnish and and well designed.

Bob has a travelling cue, not a single piece of metal was used and it shows. The hit is truely amazing for a 3 pieces cue.

Icon of Sin
10-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Timmy Scruggs might be able to help you out. www.timscruggs.com (http://www.timscruggs.com)

JPB
10-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Get a Kilby. I have one and love it. You can get a kilby for a reasonable price. But I think you'll want to spend more than the basic.

Get maybe 2 billiard shafts and a segmented pool shaft. You will want to play pool w/ the Kilby once you get it.

I have now hit w/ a schuler. Schulers are pretty good. They are much better than most production cues. You would have a good cue w/ a schuler. But a kilby is superior in every way. Better balance, better hit, more pride of ownership. I might buy a few more kilbys. They are great.

Someday I might get a dieckman too. Just cuz. But that is more than 400. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rukiddingme
10-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Adrian Viguera builds a really nice billiard cue. He uses a Joey Gold pin on the shaft instead of the butt. Schulers are great too.
ruk

tateuts
10-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Just ran across this auction on a Ray Schuler Sang Lee custom billiard cue. E-Bay Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3631996669&amp;category=21 212)

The Buy It Now is $600 - if you get lucky you might be able to watch this one for a few days and pick it up for the $400 opening bid - not too many 3C players look for carom cues on E-Bay.

Chris

Voodoo Daddy
10-15-2003, 06:25 AM
I will let you in on a secret, Helmstetter makes a great entry level 3-C cue. You can score one of these from http://www.auroraroadbilliards.com/ in Melbourne, Fl for about $350-$400. If you call, ask for Joe or Charlie and tell 'em BIG STEVE sent ya!!

Voodoo~~~frustrated 3-C player

Fred Agnir
10-15-2003, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Yeah Fred i was looking at his website wonder what his custon cue go for, must be big bucks. <hr /></blockquote>
I think that if you're looking for a billiard cue without ornate dressing , then the least expensive model with a billiard shaft from Schuler is right around $400-$450.

You could ask Chicago's Deno Andrews (former 3C pro) who used to frequent this board on his opinion on billard cues for 1st time buyers. deno-andrews@ameritech.net

Fred

sliprock
10-15-2003, 09:11 AM
I think that Dennis Dieckman(sp?) makes 3-cushion cues.

http://www.cuemaker.com/

JPB
10-15-2003, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I will let you in on a secret, Helmstetter makes a great entry level 3-C cue. You can score one of these from http://www.auroraroadbilliards.com/ in Melbourne, Fl for about $350-$400. If you call, ask for Joe or Charlie and tell 'em BIG STEVE sent ya!!

Voodoo~~~frustrated 3-C player <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I had one of these once and stupidly sold it. It was a good cue. I would still go with a kilby for not a whole lot more money. You have more flexibility and options going w/ kilby. I also think he does some inexpensive entry level cues. But I'd still go w/ a mid-range kilby, spend a little more and get a whole lot more for the $. Also, given the abiulity to swap shafts out and have shaft options, I'd go schuler before the helmstetter I think. As much as I liked my helmstetter.

nAz
10-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the Info people. I will be looking into all that cues and cue makers mentioned, unfortuntly it looks like i'll have to wait till after Xmas to order/buy one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Randall00
10-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Say can someone provide me with a definition of "Billiard cue"? Am I missing something here? (Don't mind me, I haven't been playing for very long)

tateuts
10-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Check out "Carom Cues" - used for 3 cushion billiards, usually lighter, shorter, with a wooden joint screw, even taper shafts (very stiff) and a short ferrule. They're designed to roll a giant cue ball around a billiard table.

Chris

nAz
10-21-2003, 11:25 PM
BTW Pizza Bob those images of the travel cue by Ron are Hot.

cueball1950
06-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Hey Naz..you are in the city, correct. while i was in Valley Forge i played some gentleman who had a 3c table set up fpr people to challenge him. he is from 1 of the 3 cushion places in the city. his name escapes me. anyway. you give him 5 bucks for the challenge and he gives you the break in a race to 3 points. anyway, i beat him out of 2 cues. they are not to bad looking. a friend of mine knows him well and he says the cues he was giving to the winners were also being used as house cues in his pool room. He is suppose to be the current or last years national 3c champion.they seem to hit pretty good. 1 of them may make a starter cue for you until you can buy something special. the screw is on the shaft also. someone said just like a schuler. (i don't know since i have never seen or hit with one.)send me a pm with your address. if you don't like it just send it back.If you like it, just send me whatever you think it is worth, i am a fair man and easy to get along with...........................mike