PDA

View Full Version : Don't fight the angles

Kato
10-14-2003, 07:56 PM
This is the best advice I picked up sitting in front of the Accustats booth at the U.S. Open this year. I heard Billy Cardone and Buddy and Vickery or whomever else was in the booth talk about "natural angles" or getting the cue ball to travel in a direct line towards your next shot. I began to think about my game and the crazy things I've tried to do since I've started. Constantly trying to bend the cue ball or hit the spectacular shot. So I've changed yet again to a more natural style, less insane plays out of my comfort zone. It seems a much easier way to play though I seem to run into more balls and sometimes have to take a little longer shot.

The great thing I've discovered is that it's not so tough to cut balls when you aren't trying to do insane stuff, makes the pockets more accepting when you're not trying to draw two rails past the side pocket. Man, just get on the right side of the table. Anyway, it's kind of boring to play that way but the improvement was almost overnight. Finally something that improves the game that doesn't involve changing grips, stances, bridges, or cues /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey, this is actually something permanent. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~sharing

8 ball ho
10-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Yes, absolutely, that is what my teacher drilled into me, play into and out of natural angles so you just pocket the ball and do not have to do anything special with the cue ball. Then you are playing with a lot of center ball strokes. When you begin juicing up the cue ball with a lot of english, that is what causes the misses. Constantly keeping a little cut angle so you go long rail and back, over and back, makes the game simple. Keep it simple stupid it the battle cry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
10-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Kato,
You are correct. I heard it from an old coach of mine several years ago. "Take what the table gives you and work with it"

stickman
10-15-2003, 07:12 AM
I seem to remember Scott Lee telling me this. Juicing up the cueball has cost me several broken runs. I'll usually get shape, but rattle the object ball out of the pocket. Some tables have very unforgiving pockets, and seem to reject any balls shot with spin of nearly any type. On these tables, playing the angles is almost mandatory. Good advice, or in my case, good reminder. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Qtec
10-15-2003, 08:53 AM
IMO most people wouldnt recognize a natural angle if it was flashing in neon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its true!

Q

Braditude
10-16-2003, 02:48 PM
your right some dont see the N.A. as easily as others would you have any advice or drills for those of us wanting to improve this skill

Leviathan
10-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Instructional clips NV 3.5 and NV 3.8, at the link below, might interest you:

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/ .

--DM

8 ball ho
10-16-2003, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I seem to remember Scott Lee telling me this. Juicing up the cueball has cost me several broken runs. I'll usually get shape, but rattle the object ball out of the pocket. Some tables have very unforgiving pockets, and seem to reject any balls shot with spin of nearly any type. On these tables, playing the angles is almost mandatory. Good advice, or in my case, good reminder. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

ooh stick man, you are so cute, do my angles interest you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif