PDA

View Full Version : End of an Era

#### leonard
02-18-2002, 09:15 PM
When I started the board was on post #600 it was near 116,000 when the change took place. I spent 40 minutes on and read 3 posts I will now say goodbye. Keep your head still and your eye on the object/cueball. ####

JimS
02-18-2002, 09:31 PM
No! Don't do it! Your posts are valuable to many of us. It may take a day or two but this board is better than the old one ####. Give it another try. Please.

Regards, JimS

02-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Leonard and others, change is always very tough to accept - particularly when we've become so accustom to the way it was. I too have been a little resistant to the new format and having a little trouble navigating my way through it.

However, as others here have posted, once you become familiar with it there appears to be NUMEROUS advantages to this new configuration that can save all of us valuable time waiting for our computer screens to change as we view and/or respond to posts. Stick around and give it a chance! - Chris in NC

Tom_In_Cincy
02-19-2002, 11:45 AM
#####,
I remember you posting about accepting changes to improve your game. From changes in stance, cue weight, tips, types of games and types of challenges.

I too agree that this NEW format has a lot of new bells and whistles.. but it is IMO worth the trials we have to endure to continue to have the BEST members and BEST forum on the Internet..

Tom In Cincy

AustinFilAm
02-19-2002, 11:49 AM
I've been mostly a lurker on this board. I'm a diehard pool player (not good, but DIEHARD). When I see postings from rackmup, Dr. D, Jay, the Toms, the Chris', Howie, Carol, the Jim's, the Steve's, Blackheart, and a lot others too long to mention, I know the postings are going to be informative, funny, friendly, and positive. I've learned a lot from this board.

It saddens me that some are leaving, or are not posting.
Please stay on this board. We crave your postings. Don't be a "it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks". Stay for the friends you made on this board. Stay for us lurkers who value your postings.

Thank you very much. Best wishes to all whether you decide to stay or go.

JimS
02-19-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm a sort of old dog who can't like learning new tricks and most of the computer language might as well be in Greek (I still use Microsoft Works Ver 1.0 for word processing).

But, I AIN'T GOIN NOWHERE! THIS IS WHERE MY BUD'S ARE AND I'M STAYIN!

Sorry for the yelling but I hope that's clear!

Regards, JimS ~ tooooo busy practicing to learn computereeeze.

02-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Hey Jim, Have you tried the flat mode and collapsed view yet? If not you will like it alot better. It is so much easier and quicker to follow posts.

02-19-2002, 12:59 PM
####, I echo the sentiments of the rest of the board. Please don't leave... your posts are enormously valued.

Your knowledge of the game's history, as well as your insightful suggestions, are too rich to be lost.

I hope you'll reconsider.

- Steve

jjinfla
02-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Those who quit without trying shall be known as quitters!
When you first started playing pool and the balls didn't drop did you quit? Or did you apply yourself and learn why they didn't drop? There is nothing difficult, nor complicated on this board. Either learn it or condemn yourself to a life without the members of this board. And, after all is said and done, that is the best part of the CCB, the people who post here. Jake~~~if I can learn this stuff then anybody can.

02-19-2002, 03:44 PM
jjinfla, i'll accept the facts that you are fairly new to this board and have, by your profile, been only shooting a couple of years as mitigation but let me say that you have not earned the right to be disrespectful to ####.

in my opinion, #### has been the #1 most valuable resource for information on how to shoot better on this board since it started. bar none.

if he says that spot shots need to be done one-handed behind the back then, by golly, i'm gunna start practicing that shot.

dan

TomBrooklyn
02-19-2002, 03:57 PM
So long Leonard. Check the board out when someone shows you how to set up the viewing preferences. Your obviously not looking at the same set up I am, because it's way easier to move around this board and get more read faster than I ever found on the old board.

And the features? Unless your converting your converting your cooking stove to coal and your electicity to kerosene lamps I kinda figured you'd like this board more. Good luck.

http://www.louisville.edu/~jrallg01/Billiard.gif

02-19-2002, 04:34 PM
I am in full agreement with ####. Y'all can call me a quitter but I have tried this POS format going on two days to do just one danged, simple thing...get chronological, reversed messages like the old format. You'd think that the admin could handle that little task. The CCB formats lets you chrono threads sure, but not an even simpler thing like messaging in order of time. That's an unacceptable failure IMO.

The rest of the glitter and showy "improvements" interest me little without the aforementioned...sid

02-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Hey Mr. Leonard, E-mail me and I will be more than happy to help you get it set up in a much more pleasurable viewing experience. I promise you will like it a lot more.

cuechick
02-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Sid, I noticed you never registered, you might find you have quite a few more options if you did...just an idea.

02-20-2002, 12:19 AM
You have no idea how sad that makes me, Dick. Hope to run into you on playpool, if that's where you go. And exactly WHERE is that tape? Best, GF

02-20-2002, 01:16 AM
sid, watch out. they are enticing you to get friendly with the pods. they have pods everywhere. they got me. run, scream. act as foolish as you can. they're coming.

dan...quite happy

Gayle in MD
02-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Oh NO, no, no, you can't do that to me. I need to know you'll be here for me, forever and ever. Why I'll, I'll, I'll just die if you go! Please reconsider...How will I ever improve if you go now??
Gayle in Md.

02-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Dick has established his credentials previously as a diehard Democrat. If he subscribes to the Democrat philoshophy of liberal/progressive then his unwillingness to adapt to the new board would qualify hin as a conservative. How ironic. Just pokin' some fun and trying to elicit a response from Dick.

Actually I know how Dick will respond: "President Dubya is a tool of the military and all he wants to do is pour more money into Ft. Hood, Lackland AFB and NASA!" LOL!

jjinfla
02-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Dan, Disrespectful? Me? I have been studying pool for 37 months and I can't make a comment to ####? He has been trying this new board for 37 hours and it is okay for him to quit? Does that make sense? You all were just going to let him go on his merry way. I attempted to kick him in the ass to get him to come to his senses so he wouldn't leave. Jake

02-21-2002, 12:18 AM
great, then we're on the same side afterall.

did anyone catch his e-mail address?? maybe if we can figure out where he lives we can send him a 12 year old to set up his account for him.(gig! gig!)

i expected to see him turn up over at that other place but he hasn't.

dan

Q-guy
02-21-2002, 01:38 AM
I looked at the board a few times today. When I checked the who is on line, he was there reading several times today. Posting is not brain surgery. I think he won't post after his final comments. Several of the former posters have made statements that make it difficult for them now to post and not look like jerks. Yet they are still reading.

Rich R.
02-21-2002, 06:11 AM
I don't think changing your mind, makes you look like a jerk. We all say, print, things on the spare of the moment that we regret later. Hopefully Dick will reconsider and return to full status. This board is not that bad if you give it a little time. Rich R.~~~come back Dick, you are missed.

jjinfla
02-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Sid, You are viewing the board in the "default" mode. Register, then go to home page and set the preferences the way you want them. You can easily set the threads to be read in assending or descending order, to your liking. Try it, you'll like it. Jake

Ken
02-21-2002, 10:38 AM
Sid, If you want reversed, chronological just click on "search". No need to register, no need for cookies, just do it.
Ken

#### leonard
02-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Gayle I am learning how to navigate this board you have Fred Agnir to thank. I would not have left you in the lurch I am hoping to jitterbug with you in Valley Forge. ####

Rich R.
02-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Welcome back #### Leonard. You were missed. Rich R.~~~thanks to Fred for helping.

02-24-2002, 03:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: #### leonard:</font><hr> Gayle I am learning how to navigate this board you have Fred Agnir to thank. I would not have left you in the lurch I am hoping to jitterbug with you in Valley Forge. #### <hr></blockquote>

Dick...I knew you would be back, and therefore did not bid you adieu. They all return EVENTUALLY, unless they croak!

Even Vagabond is listed here. Oh and BTW, I got an e-mail from him, and he's doing just fine, somewhere on the other side of the world, but don't ask me who he is or where, because I aint no KNOCKER!:) - Howie

Rod
02-24-2002, 03:21 AM
Well see you can teach and old dog new tricks. Good
to see you back Leonard. I'd like to be there to see
you two jitterbug. Thanks Fred for recovering the patient.
I think the jitterbug was a few days before me.

Gayle in MD
02-24-2002, 08:40 AM
THANK YOU FRED! What great news, I'm glad you are staying. Whew! And, I will be looking forward to the dance. I may get whipped on the pool table, but few can keep up with me on the dance floor, LOL. Better rest up!
Gayle in MD.