PDA

View Full Version : Injected Bumpers?

amysea
10-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi I just purchased a used Fisher table. When i went to check the table out everything was perfect all the bumpers where soft and the balls bounced off them very nicely. Then when i get it moved to my house one of the bumpers is rock hard. I was wondering if anyone ever heard of this happening and if maybe something was injected into the bumper to make it so hard? Maybe the Business that i used to move and set up the table wanted to make a little more cash from me. Let me know if you have ever heard of this happening. Thanks for your time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

plato 17
10-15-2003, 10:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote amysea:</font><hr> Hi I just purchased a used Fisher table. When i went to check the table out everything was perfect all the bumpers where soft and the balls bounced off them very nicely. Then when i get it moved to my house one of the bumpers is rock hard. I was wondering if anyone ever heard of this happening and if maybe something was injected into the bumper to make it so hard? Maybe the Business that i used to move and set up the table wanted to make a little more cash from me. Let me know if you have ever heard of this happening. Thanks for your time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hi this is Plato. The bumpers are called the rubber cushions. The felt, is called the cloth. Cheap tables use cheap rubber, it fast becomes hard and un responsive. You must change it, you will find that to be expensive to do. Sell the table, buy a new one might be a better move. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scott Lee
10-16-2003, 08:51 AM
amysea...The answer you got from Plato is not necessarily true. From my own perspective, what makes rubber cushions get hard is not playing on the table for extremely long periods (years), and/or sitting in direct sunlight. Did you check all four rails before you bought the table? A good way to check the rails is to strike the CB with a hard stroke. The CB should bounce twice across the table (total of 4 cushion hits). This should be done crosswise and lengthwise. Also possible that you have loose rail bolts. This can also make a cushion seem like it doesn't bounce properly...however, this would not make the rubber "hard". You do not need to replace the table. If only one rail is bad, you can have someone in your area (a table mechanic) replace the rail. There is no need to replace the entire cloth bed, as the rail cushion is covered separately from the bed of the table. Coin-op tables are even easier to replace rail rubber, as they just screw on another section of cushion. Might be worth having a mechanic come check out your table for you...probably cost you less than $50 to have a professional come out to your house and give you the "real" story. Hope this helps...

Scott Lee