PDA

View Full Version : how critical are the balls?

rootb33r
10-15-2003, 09:24 PM
so here's the situation:
i'm in college, and all my suitemates love to play pool...
one of them and i are entering doubles tournaments locally and stuff, and we love to play pool on our free time.

we have a pool table in the student lounge that's a 30 second walk from our suite, so that's where we play the most.
they used to have the pool balls sitting in there 24/7 until someone threw them at the walls and made holes in the walls...
now they make you sign them out, and there isn't a Resident Advisor on duty past 10pm that you can sign them out from.

so my roomates and i were going to chip in for a set of balls...

what are the standard specifications you are lookin for in a pool ball set?
how critical is the quality of the balls?
anything i should be looking for in particular?

thanks for the help

Rod
10-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Speaking of a set of balls, Aramith Ball Set (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3632080642&category=21 210&rd=1) you need a decent set. Those are mine for sale but I suppose you could buy a cheap set. Just as important is someone keep the table and balls clean. A dirty table and ball set play completely different than clean conditions. If left dirty the balls get rough and pitted.

Rod

plato 17
10-15-2003, 10:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rootb33r:</font><hr> so here's the situation:
i'm in college, and all my suitemates love to play pool...
one of them and i are entering doubles tournaments locally and stuff, and we love to play pool on our free time.

Hi, this is Plato. Extremely critical, make the investment in a set of super pro aramith, pro balls, a simonis cloth is what makes the game fun to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rootb33r
10-15-2003, 10:24 PM
thanks guys... Rod, i'm really interested in your set...

i also remembered i need a rack because you have to sign those out too!

and thanks for reminding me to get a brush to clean the table with, now that i think about it, it is kind of dirty.

me and a bunch of people are starting a billiards club, the school gives us a budget and we can do fundraisers and stuff and hopefully we can get a new table on campus.

tateuts
10-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Rod's right. For what you guys are doing, don't waste your money on a pro set. What you want is a standard set of Aramith Belgium Balls - like these:

Aramith Standard Set (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3631261623&amp;category=36 102) which you should be able to pick up for $20 or so.

I have both a premium set and a standard set. For my home table with Simonis cloth and expensive rails, I wanted the better balls. The premium are more highly polished and held to closer tolerances. They play pretty much the same. I have a blue dot cue ball that I bought separately for $10 and I like it better than the standard ball because it is easier to clean the chalk marks off - but the standard cue ball should be just fine. Remember, Aramith Belgium Balls are all very high quality - you almost can't go wrong - the box should look like the one in the E-Bay photo.

Chris

ceebee
10-17-2003, 09:55 AM
All Pool Balls will at some time or other (IF PLAYED WITH) go out-of-round, then strange things happen. You always get what you pay for. Old balls, with nicks &amp; dents, can't possibly be considered to play with.

If you want to play any game well, always get good equipment. The extra few bucks won't be missed.

plato 17
10-17-2003, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> All Pool Balls will at some time or other (IF PLAYED WITH) go out-of-round, then strange things happen. You always get what you pay for. Old balls, with nicks &amp; dents, can't possibly be considered to play with.

If you want to play any game well, always get good equipment. The extra few bucks won't be missed. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes cee bee, the game can only be appreciated and played really well, only if you have a nice simonis cloth, and pro balls. Go cheap on either one, you cheapen and half your pool playing experience. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif