PDA

View Full Version : Got any advice about using the open bridge?

Leviathan
10-16-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm thinking of going to an open (vee) bridge for most of my shots. Got any advice about using the open bridge safely and effectively?

Thanks,
DM

pooltchr
10-16-2003, 09:19 AM
I like an open bridge for most of my shots. The biggest advantage is being able to sight down the cue without any interference from your fingers with a closed bridge. As with any bridge, it still has to be both comfortable and stable. The other advantage is you get some feedback on your grip and stroke with an open bridge, ie if the tip tends to come up off your bridge you are probably either gripping the cue a bit too tightly, or possibly dropping your elbow during your stroke.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-16-2003, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>....using the open bridge safely....

Thanks,
DM <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Duke, if you're concerned about safety you might want to have that bridge checked by a structural engineer /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HTH

Wally~~prefers the open bridge also....

hhsaloon
10-16-2003, 10:14 AM
I thought about posting this same question after seeing a fair amount of open bridge shots at the US Open. Before seeing these players use it I had gone back to an open bridge for distance shots. After watching the players at the open, since they are all better than I, I figured there must be something to it and most of my shots now are w/an open bridge. A closed bridge, to me, had always been a sign of a "good" player and if I wanted to be good that's the bridge I'd have to use. Then I decided, a good player pots balls and gets shape, matters not which bridge gets the job done.

Iowashark
10-16-2003, 10:23 AM
....monkey see, monkey do.....

Whichever bridge feels the most comfortable to you, or during certain shots is the only way to decide which bridge is right.

Personally I used closed bridge on long shots, or power draw shots, then an open bridge for most of the common shots, easier shots that don't require a lot of c/b spin or speed.

Don't use a certain bridge because you saw a really good player using it. IMO /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dave

Leviathan
10-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Hadn't considered that possibility, Wally--but I am having my VM-15 fitted with anti-miscue airbags. I appreciate your concern! DM

9 Ball Girl
10-16-2003, 10:43 AM
I use the open bridge for about 95% of my shots--the remaining 5% of my shots I use the closed hand bridge and that would be for power draw shots. Anyway, if you do use the open hand bridge, make sure that your thumb comes up really high so that you minimize any side to side wobble on your stroke. My 2 cents.

griffith_d
10-16-2003, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>....using the open bridge safely....

Thanks,
DM <hr /></blockquote>

Duke, if you're concerned about safety you might want to have that bridge checked by a structural engineer /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HTH

Wally~~prefers the open bridge also.... <hr /></blockquote>

Of course, you should check where the engineer graduated from,....the ones from Louisiana are questionable.

Griff

hondo
10-16-2003, 12:23 PM
I've always used an open bridge &amp; felt guilty
because I was always told it would limit my
improvement. Good to hear others are using or
considering it.

plato 17
10-16-2003, 12:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I'm thinking of going to an open (vee) bridge for most of my shots. Got any advice about using the open bridge safely and effectively?

Thanks,
DM <hr /></blockquote>

Yes the open bridge is good. All of the snooker players use it. It is best for cut and long shots. For follows, I use the 3 finger loop bridge, because on the open bridge, the shaft jumps up and that I do not like. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

pooltchr
10-16-2003, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote plato 17:</font><hr> because on the open bridge, the shaft jumps up and that I do not like. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good indication that you are either gripping too tight, or dropping your elbow

Alfie
10-16-2003, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hhsaloon:</font><hr> A closed bridge, to me, had always been a sign of a "good" player and if I wanted to be good that's the bridge I'd have to use.<hr /></blockquote>fairly commonly held belief that is a myth

Alfie
10-16-2003, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I'm thinking of going to an open (vee) bridge for most of my shots. Got any advice about using the open bridge safely and effectively?<hr /></blockquote>Keep it clean and dry.

Next!

plato 17
10-16-2003, 03:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote plato 17:</font><hr> because on the open bridge, the shaft jumps up and that I do not like. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good indication that you are either gripping too tight, or dropping your elbow <hr /></blockquote>

Go to your table, set up a force follow, where you must pot the ob, then go 3 rails up into the corner and 9' back down table. Hit the cue ball l l/2 tips up, 1 tip right, grip it and rip it, now watch where your cue shaft goes, up dude, which is not good, you are bouncing off of the cue ball which is not good. If you grip it tight, that defeats the way the shot works well, which is using a very soft light grip that stays that way through the shot. Frankly if you want to make these big stroke shots, then get used to dropping your elbow dude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

plato 17
10-16-2003, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>....using the open bridge safely....

Thanks,
DM <hr /></blockquote>

Why Wally, finally we get to see what you look like, thanks for posting your goat, excuse me, your picture, baaa baaaa.
You are one of the few on this board who actually knows what you really are. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HTH

Wally~~prefers the open bridge also.... <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r
10-16-2003, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote playdo:</font><hr> Why Wally, finally we get to see what you look like, thanks for posting your goat, excuse me, your picture, baaa baaaa.
<hr /></blockquote> What a loser. Playdo go home. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

hogman
10-16-2003, 10:34 PM
You have to grip the cloth with a good open bridge, make sure your fingers aren't just laying on the table, but that they are well spread out and have some pressure on them. Also, for follow shots, if you feel that raising your knuckles hurts the stability of your bridge, trying tucking in one or both of the middle fingers to gain height. I think that most would recommend against lifting your palm up off the table a la Cory Deuel besides for special circumstances, since doing so can lead to a shaky bridge.

P.S.- Plato_17, and the rest of Fast Larry's aliases have been banned from azbilliards.com, and it wouldn't hurt to ignore him here either.

tateuts
10-16-2003, 10:45 PM
I think an open bridge is better than a sloppy closed bridge, but not as good as a nice tight closed bridge. It's easy to make a good open bridge, and not so easy to make a good closed bridge.

I would say, work on tightening up your closed bridge first for a month or two before you abandon it. There should be no play at all left and right, up or down, between the shaft and your fingers. In my opinion, there's no comparison - the closed bridge, well done, is solid for any kind of stroke.

I use an open bridge primarily in these scenarios: 1) shooting off the rail 2) when stretching to reach shots or hitting over balls and 3) long shots (especially slow rolled) where perfect aim is at a premium. Like they said, it's easier to sight down the shaft.

Chris

Leviathan
10-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions. I'll try to profit by them.

DM

pooltchr
10-17-2003, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote plato 17:</font><hr> set up a force follow, where you must pot the ob, then go 3 rails up into the corner and 9' back down table. <hr /></blockquote>

Playdough,
I usually try to play better position and can't remember the last time I had to go 3 rails and then another 9' after that.

plato 17
10-17-2003, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote playdo:</font><hr> Why Wally, finally we get to see what you look like, thanks for posting your goat, excuse me, your picture, baaa baaaa.
<hr /></blockquote> What a loser. Playdo go home. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why edger, you might actually run into Plato some day and actually learn something from him, that is possible you know? Let's see, it is OK in your book for Wally to insult Plato, but allow Plato to respond in kind, that is not allowed and he is now a bad guy. Is that fair, is that not a double standard, and is that not how your high school clic worked? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

plato 17
10-17-2003, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote plato 17:</font><hr> set up a force follow, where you must pot the ob, then go 3 rails up into the corner and 9' back down table. <hr /></blockquote>

Playdough,
I usually try to play better position and can't remember the last time I had to go 3 rails and then another 9' after that. <hr /></blockquote>

That is because that is a shot sir you donot posses. Coming out of a corner potting a ball, hitting 3 rails and coming back down table 9' is a shot in 9 ball that comes up a lot. Most of you do not know this shot, so you draw down table instead. When that path is blocked, you are dead, because you cant go the other direction, up and down, you have only one shot, not two.

Go to a 3 cushion tournament, see how many are using an open hand bridge, none, when you see one, it's rare and he rarely places. Almost all of their shots are middle or high follows, that is why they all use the closed loop bridge. The snooker players use the open hand bridge because most of their shots are soft, they do face some long cuts, that bridge is best for the long cuts. What is your problem with using a different bridge for a different shot, using the best bridge, for that shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif