PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent ball fouls?

phil in sofla
10-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Our league formerly only called cue ball fouls, and now calls fouls if any ball is touched or moved.

I must be sloppy or something, but I have a tendency to slightly touch or move balls, mainly after I've stroked my shot, sort of with an errant move of the cue stick afterwards.

Any ideas as to how to curb this? I don't think it's because I jump up, because I mainly do stay down on most shots. Would being rigorous with the 'freeze' at the end of the shot help?

plato 17
10-16-2003, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> Our league formerly only called cue ball fouls, and now calls fouls if any ball is touched or moved.

I must be sloppy or something, but I have a tendency to slightly touch or move balls, mainly after I've stroked my shot, sort of with an errant move of the cue stick afterwards.

Any ideas as to how to curb this? I don't think it's because I jump up, because I mainly do stay down on most shots. Would being rigorous with the 'freeze' at the end of the shot help? <hr /></blockquote>

What you were using is what I call drunk rules, for drunks to play by. If you want real rules, you cannot touch or move any ball. Even if your shirt touches a ball when you are over it and even if the ball does not move, that should be a foul. To prevent this, be more careful, pay attention to what you are doing, you have been playing sloppy. You have been getting by with murder. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooltchr
10-17-2003, 06:15 AM
If you are staying down on your shot, when your stroke is completed your bridge hand should still be in the same position and your cue pointing straight ahead at the target. Simply lift your bridge hand straight up as you straighten up and you should eliminate a lot of this kind of problem. If you are coming up out of the shot too soon, your cue may have a tendency to move around and make contact with other nearby balls.

Scott Lee
10-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Excellent advice. Add to that, a pause at the CB and a slow backswing. Frequently, a hurried stroke will move off the line of the shot. Also a closed bridge will help with some shots, where you might be lifting the cuestick off your bridge hand...causing you to touch another ball.

Scott Lee

8 ball ho
10-17-2003, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> Our league formerly only called cue ball fouls, and now calls fouls if any ball is touched or moved.

Any ideas as to how to curb this? I don't think it's because I jump up, because I mainly do stay down on most shots. Would being rigorous with the 'freeze' at the end of the shot help? <hr /></blockquote>

Stop getting drunk when you play your league match, try playing sober, then you will stop knocking balls around on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
10-17-2003, 05:18 PM
One other idea I would add would be to try and focus more on your surroundings on the table as well. Be aware of the balls and how you have to shoot over and around them.

DG - jmy2c for what it's worth