PDA

View Full Version : The instant fan

Popcorn
10-16-2003, 04:03 PM
You know what bugs me a little, the instant fan, once a team begins to win. There are people standing in line to get world series tickets in Miami. There are guys driving with Marlin banners on there cars, people in the grocery store with their shirts on. Where were all these fans when they were averaging 16,000 attendance, I think it seats close to 70,000, a game? Must have been nice for the players as they played their hearts out as they looked up at the empty seats. Even in one of the playoff games, fans, if you can call them that, were walking out in the 4th and 5th inning because the game looked like a blow out. What must it be like as a player, to see the fans walking out because you are behind. When you are one of the fans that has sat in the stands all year, you can't help but resent the fair weather fan, fighting for a ticket who could have cared less only a month ago. I have to admit the prices at many of the ball parks keeps people out, but you know what I mean. Just my opinion.

Cueless Joey
10-16-2003, 04:15 PM
No kidding.
I saw three playoff games in Anaheim last year.
I could not afford or was willing to pay $500 for a WS ticket.

Kato
10-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Popcorn, you couldn't be more right. I go to about 15 games a year and have gone to 2 playoff games. We were shut out for WS tickets today. While it's extremely exciting down here right now in 2 weeks all will be back to normal. Win or lose in the WS we'll begin ripping ownership and management and next season when I'm at the ballpark without Atlanta, NY Mets, Yanks, BoSox, and with no probable pennant race in sight we'll be back to 8,000 in the stands. This is Dolphin Country. If it's not a big event no one comes out. Look at the Panthers and Heat. Beautiful new facilities and they play to 75% houses unless a NY team is here.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
10-17-2003, 06:36 AM
Man ain't that the truth /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In Cleveland, when they had the old Municipal Stadium, they were lucky to draw 8,000 people. When they built the "Jake" and the team got better they sold out every game for years. And every one of those people said "Yeah, I've been a loyal fan since the 70's". Yeah right /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've been a Reds fan all my life. Even after the Big Red Machine broke up. I suffered thru the 80's, attending 20 or 30 games a year. It was worth it all when, in 1990, they won it all and I was lucky enough to attend every game.

Folks ask me why I'm not a Univ. of Cincy basketball fan. I tell them "I didn't like them in the 80's when they sucked, and I'm not jumping on the bandwagon now"

Wally~~UK and Xavier fan

9 Ball Girl
10-17-2003, 07:47 AM
That's true. There are a couple of people here at work (mostly broads) who don their "team of the moment" shirts and rush out to Modells to buy World Series shirts and then wear them profiling as if they're "true" fans. Puhlease. These chicks wouldn't be able to find a regular season game on TV if their lives depended on it!

Hopster
10-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Youre dead right Popcorn. That pretty much sums up Yankee fans, never heard much from them prior to 96 but after that year all you would see are Yankee hats on the street. Same thing in the early eighties, nuff said.

Sid_Vicious
10-18-2003, 08:24 AM
When I and us kids in my family were growing we up only knew one baseball team existed, and if St Louis didn't make the Series, we hardly knew the season was even going. Since then I've seen kids with automatic switches, whomever is the winning team at the time was THEIR team. I wondered if it was a shared emotion of mild disgust that I had, Popcorn you obviously feel the same way. Much of our society in other venues is the same way, even in pool when you think about it. Let's take tips for instance, and I'm guilty just a tad(yea right, a bunch at times.) How many of us grew up using Triangle tips as a standard, darn good reliable tips for the most part, to only later hear all the buzz about Moori tips and suddenly the Moori was the ONLY tip. Shafts, we've many of us had "old wood" in shafts that are true gems, but then we heard about black dots and laminated 314s and Lake Michigan multi hundred year old maple logs, and suddenly the certainty of our trusted old wood was changed.

Back to the point though, you are correct in that the team switching mode of many of today's fans is a telltale indicator of those people's character. Nuff said...sid~~~doesn't follow much sports anymore but will nearly always pull for the underdog everytime

Popcorn
10-18-2003, 08:59 AM
The sad thing is, you will find friendship to be the same way to these people. When it comes down to it, you find out who your friends really are and it may the most unlikely people you would think of.

stevelomako
10-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Amen brother

Eric.
10-19-2003, 07:46 AM
You know, Popcorn, people that do that are just showing their real "colors". And there's alot of that.

I also notice it among Harley riders (not bikers, there's a difference). Seems like now-a-days, everyone is a "Biker". You get these Discovery channel watching Bikers, with their costumes on at various bike runs(events) and it's laughable. These are the same jerk-offs that were driving their BMW's, looking down their noses at the lifestyle, but now they act like they been doing it forever. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sometimes life's hilarious.

Eric >not a Discovery Channel Biker

Popcorn
10-19-2003, 11:14 AM
You see that at the classic car shows. I like classic cars and have not owned a new car in many years. In fact a car less then ten or fifteen years old would be a new car for me. Also, if I can't drive it, I don't want it. My car may not be of the standard of some of those guys, but at least I didn't buy it, I built it or restored it myself. Funny you mention the discovery channel. I read where those guys in that America chopper series from O.C.C. are sort of phonies. They built their first bike in 1999 and are actually in the sheet metal business. Somehow they created this reality show with them building bikes, (Like they know how), arguing and throw things and it has become popular. Did you see the one where the tank came back from the painter, and they discovered they had forgotten to install the fitting for the gas line, are you kidding. Did you see the bike the father supposedly built for his girl friend. It was so poorly fitted for her she could hardly ride it. I love it when they say they are building an $80,000 bike and they have three weeks to get it done. First, why all dead lines, second, an $80,000 bike with less then $20,000 in parts, they can do start to finish in three week and they are complaining? You can also almost guarantee there will be some screw up and there will be something wrong with the bike every time. They look like the Three Stooges when they work. Real bike builders must look at these guys and laugh. But, they are making money with the TV show, so what can you say.

Ralph S.
10-19-2003, 04:32 PM
I hate bandwagon jumpers period!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod
10-19-2003, 05:20 PM
I guess I'm not an instant fan might be an understatement. I just heard yesterday who was playing in the series. The only reason, I was at the pool room and the game was on. LOL I still don't know who won or if their playing today. Who ever wins is ok by me but I don't think they pay the boys from NY real good, to come in second.

Rod