PDA

View Full Version : recent realization for winning

sack316
10-17-2003, 01:21 AM
OK, I'm sure most of the really good players here already have known and used this for a long time. unfortunately I only recently lost my hard headedness enough to try this. Basically I realized that in 8 and 9 ball (points race excluded) you don't lose unless your opponent makes that last ball. Yeah of course that's obvious, but I'll use 8 ball as my example here as that what has improved the most for me. I always knew that if you don't have a shot, try to play safe. But I still had the goal of leaving my opponent with as many balls on the table as possible to "smoke them". My game has gone to a whole new level now that I realized they can make all their balls and as long as its me sinking the 8 then I still win just the same. if I don't see an obvious run out I am moving my balls around some and leaving them in a bad position, sometimes even setting them up to sink balls that are in my way if one of theirs is tied up. If my ball is frozen to be 8, sometimes I don't make any balls except for ones that are not affecting my oppenent until they get to the 8 and push it around. Now of course someitmes people surprize you, and real good players are still thinking about a step or two ahead of me to mess up my plans, but basically I learned that instead of me coming with a bunch of shots to run out, I can put the pressure on them and actually make my work easier in the process.Now that I learned to be patient, I've gotten to were I beat people that actually make balls better than me because I am reading the rack and strategizing while they are banging balls trying to make a hail mary.
As I said, I'm sure alot of you already play that way, but for those who don't, then try it. Want proof, next time you play a friend use the old hustle of giving them 4 ball off the break in 8 ball, play a few games and see if running out isn't easier then. Just my 2 cents for the evening. Good nite all.

mickey2
10-17-2003, 07:06 AM
On what level do you and your opponents play?
Imo there is a difference between 8 and 9 ball.

In the past we had some discussion about 8 ball and strategy, my personal opinion is that it largely depends on your abilities and those of your opponent.

My personal experience is, that is near to impossible to win a set of 8 ball against an A player if you are not going for some run outs. You have to keep in mind that the might not only win the current defensive game, but also make a run out or more afterwards.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-17-2003, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr>
.....If my ball is frozen to be 8, sometimes I don't make any balls except for ones that are not affecting my oppenent until they get to the 8 and push it around.....
<hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes, if I am choosing my group and there is a ball very near the 8 tying it up, I will choose that group so that I have the option of freeing the 8-ball at the time of my choosing. I would be interested to hear the opinions of our resident 8-ball experts on that strategy.

As for your strategy question, running out vs. playing safe, I agree with mickey, it depends /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Road Pro
10-17-2003, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> OK, I'm sure most of the really good players here already have known and used this for a long time. unfortunately I only recently lost my hard headedness enough to try this. Basically I realized that in 8 and 9 ball (points race excluded) you don't lose unless your opponent makes that last ball. Yeah of course that's obvious, but I'll use 8 ball as my example here as that what has improved the most for me. I always knew that if you don't have a shot, try to play safe. But I still had the goal of leaving my opponent with as many balls on the table as possible to "smoke them". My game has gone to a whole new level now that I realized they can make all their balls and as long as its me sinking the 8 then I still win just the same. if I don't see an obvious run out I am moving my balls around some and leaving them in a bad position, sometimes even setting them up to sink balls that are in my way if one of theirs is tied up. If my ball is frozen to be 8, sometimes I don't make any balls except for ones that are not affecting my oppenent until they get to the 8 and push it around. Now of course someitmes people surprize you, and real good players are still thinking about a step or two ahead of me to mess up my plans, but basically I learned that instead of me coming with a bunch of shots to run out, I can put the pressure on them and actually make my work easier in the process.Now that I learned to be patient, I've gotten to were I beat people that actually make balls better than me because I am reading the rack and strategizing while they are banging balls trying to make a hail mary.
As I said, I'm sure alot of you already play that way, but for those who don't, then try it. Want proof, next time you play a friend use the old hustle of giving them 4 ball off the break in 8 ball, play a few games and see if running out isn't easier then. Just my 2 cents for the evening. Good nite all. <hr /></blockquote>

You are beginning to figure it out, and now sitting back and studying what and why, that is very good.
Please, not trying to boast here, but I can give you the table at 8 ball and rob you, and so can any sl7 or good money player. I get to break every time, I almost always make a ball on the break, I then give you the table, put down your 7 balls, for you to win, all you have to do is make the 8 ball. With all of your balls out of my way, and with my good break which spreads them well, it's a easy run out for me the majority of the time. I can rob you blind with this. The cardinal rule of 8 ball is this, if you cannot run 8, never run 7, bail out and play safe before you get down that far. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-17-2003, 01:09 PM
I'll play you 4 off in 8 ball, deal is that I choose the moment during the game that I remove them, not you. Still wanna play that bet???sid

9 Ball Road Pro
10-17-2003, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'll play you 4 off in 8 ball, deal is that I choose the moment during the game that I remove them, not you. Still wanna play that bet???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Oh no, you never get 4, you get all 7, the table, and you get them right after the break. As WC Fields said, never wise up a chump or give a sucker an even break. This is a bet, for real chumps, for people wet behind the ears. It does not work with seasoned strong players like you are. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sack316
10-17-2003, 02:05 PM
yeah, like I said sometimes it does still depend on the situation and of course who you are playing. Thats why I said the real good players can usually still stay a step or 2 ahead of me, but its something new to work on and build off of.
And yes 8 and 9 ball are very different, but also in 9 if it is a very diffucult run out then alot of times I shank a shot early and have them get a few balld out of the way or broken up to get to the 9 easier, after all 1-8 don't really matter, its whoever makes the 9. But of course like any strategy it all depends on several factors, I'm simply stating that trying to force a hard runout can be more dangerous than putting the burden on your opponent who may have a good chance of setting you up easier later.

8 ball ho
10-17-2003, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> yeah, like I said sometimes it does still depend on the situation and of course who you are playing. Thats why I said the real good players can usually still stay a step or 2 ahead of me, but its something new to work on and build off of.
And yes 8 and 9 ball are very different, but also in 9 if it is a very diffucult run out then alot of times I shank a shot early and have them get a few balld out of the way or broken up to get to the 9 easier, after all 1-8 don't really matter, its whoever makes the 9. But of course like any strategy it all depends on several factors, I'm simply stating that trying to force a hard runout can be more dangerous than putting the burden on your opponent who may have a good chance of setting you up easier later. <hr /></blockquote>

That is a wonderful strategy that works against normal club players and average skill levels. Against solid players like me, you lose. Give me a shot, I'll find a way to beat you with a great shot or safety. The only way to beat me, is to keep me in my chair, or when I come up, give me nothing to shoot at. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
10-18-2003, 12:36 AM
ah, I like you. I'd love to play sometime just to see. I love people better than me because I can side bet all night and win money without winning a rack /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
10-20-2003, 05:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> beat me, keep me in my chair, give me nothing /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif