PDA

View Full Version : Another pet peeve

Wally_in_Cincy
10-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Here's a pet peeve I saw for the first time last night. It was league night and I was racking on the practice table for a guy on the opposing team. The cue ball was toward the foot of the table, just past the side pocket. Instead of walking over or reaching over and picking it up he shot it, hard, to the foot rail.

Wally: "Hey that's my hand down there"

Other dude: "Well I didn't hit your hand did I?"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There were 2 crappy pieces of chalk on the table so I got my own out of my case. Sure enough after the dude shot he picked up my chalk. I patiently waited for him to finish and politely requested my chalk so I could shoot. Dude says: "Well there's 2 more on the table" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I played him the last match of the night and beat him 4-2. Sweet revenge /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-17-2003, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Here's a pet peeve I saw for the first time last night. It was league night and I was racking on the practice table for a guy on the opposing team. The cue ball was toward the foot of the table, just past the side pocket. Instead of walking over or reaching over and picking it up he shot it, hard, to the foot rail.

Wally: "Hey that's my hand down there"

Other dude: "Well I didn't hit your hand did I?"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif<hr /></blockquote><font color="blue">I have a friend that likes to shoot the cueball around the table while I'm racking. Sort of like when a magician throws the knives around his assistant's head. He got my fingers once too! So, when I rack and I see that cue ball coming towards my hands, I grab it and give it back to him when I'm done racking!</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>There were 2 crappy pieces of chalk on the table so I got my own out of my case. Sure enough after the dude shot he picked up my chalk. I patiently waited for him to finish and politely requested my chalk so I could shoot. Dude says: "Well there's 2 more on the table" :<hr /></blockquote><font color="blue">My friend somehow manages to knock the chalk off the table and doesn't pick it up. Instead, he'll walk over to the counter and get some more. I pick up the chalk and then we wind up with about 7 pieces of chalk usually all at one end of the table!</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>I played him the last match of the night and beat him 4-2. Sweet revenge /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote><font color="blue">We played 4 sets of 9 ball races to 7. I won 3 of the 4. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif</font color>

Rod
10-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Wally,

I always thought it should be open season on rude dumb ass jerks. Well, rude dumb ass pool player jerks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif When they do something like that, they get the butt end of your cue in their teeth! When you meet a new player and they smile, you can tell what kind of attitude they have from the begining, it's still open season. Or you may have fair game anyway. heh heh

I kind of feel the same about drivers. If their a crappy driver you get to put a round into the car. That way you can tell how bad they drive from the amount of holes ripped through the car! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Speaking of holes, I maybe should have one in my car from yesterday. Leaving the pool room I almost ran over two ladies walking. I apologized to them. I had an excuse though, I might have been thinking of two super strong draw shots with perfect position. ha ha ha well doesn't that count as an excuse!! ha ha ha I've heard a lot worst. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~~~ rod, has front teeth but a small hole in car ha ha ha

Wally_in_Cincy
10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I always thought it should be open season on rude dumb ass jerks. Well, rude dumb ass pool player jerks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .....<hr /></blockquote>

Funny thing is he's really not a bad guy. I just feel it's my responsibility to teach him some manners /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8 ball ho
10-17-2003, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I always thought it should be open season on rude dumb ass jerks. Well, rude dumb ass pool player jerks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .....<hr /></blockquote>

Funny thing is he's really not a bad guy. I just feel it's my responsibility to teach him some manners /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

This one came up recently and I have already postsed how I handle it. I say very politely and softly, please dont shoot the cue ball down here when I am racking, if he does it a 2nd time, I grab the cue ball, throw it across the room and go sit down. If he wants to break, he now has to go chase it down, or I just sit there until he does.

Chalk, I keep a new piece on me, he can't get at. If he asks for it, I say no, it is my personal chalk, my property, I do not share it, sorry. Chalk is for sale, go buy a box like I did, then you won't be a mooch any more. When I shoot and miss, it goes back on me, in my pocket, in my hand when I leave the table. If he keeps chalking when he misses and blocks me from coming up to my shot, I try to explain to him politely why he should not do this. If he continues, I come up he's chalking again after he misses, when he sits it down, again I throw the chalk across the room.

If he does not get the message, the 2nd piece goes across the room, then he has no chalk, and only I do, he does not get his hands on my piece. Now he has to go up to the counter and beg for a new piece. My methods are a little drastic, but some of these buttheads are so dumb, you have to hit them up side the head to catch their attention. Most of them understand, they are just so bull headed and ignorant, they have that redneck mentality, nobody's gonna tell me nuttin, that is what you are really dealing with. Also, some of these buttheads do this stuff on purpose in an attempt to up set you as a shark, thinking they can make you play worse if they aggravate you enough. No mercy with these people, off with their heads. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carlton31698
10-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Throwing the chalk and cue ball across the room will cause you to be asked to leave in my poolroom. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8 ball ho
10-17-2003, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carlton31698:</font><hr> Throwing the chalk and cue ball across the room will cause you to be asked to leave in my poolroom. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

We'll I am not dumb enough to throw it over hand so you can see it, I roll and release it under the rail so you can't see me do it. If you are like most room owners, you don't see nothing any way, 90% of the time you are gone, when you are in, you spend most of your time playing video poker or gambling the joint down the tubes by placing non stop bets with your bookie or trying to set up your $12,000 ring game to hustle all of your customers. A bull Rhino could walk through your joint you would not see it, you are too busy trying to hustle some chick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman
10-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Wally,

Now that I have landed in Alabama I am so bored with no tournaments to play in that I am actually joining the APA 9 ball league next Tuesday (somebody stop me).

Your experience is exactly what makes me know this is a bad idea but I have played about 4-5 hours each day with my father and I NEED some time hitting balls somewhere else without driving to Hotlanta.

I have been to every pool hall in the Auburn area and have not seen anyone run more than 5 balls. Maybe they are all hiding in the APA League, right? I asked one guy to hit a little one pocket and he said, "We ain't got no tables with just one pocket!"

Another guy said you need to play Marshal Carpenter. I said great, The Squirrel. They pointed him out. He was 25 year old kid who had a Sears cue. I asked him if he ever heard of the Squirrel, he thought I was talking about a girl across the room!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Dee

Billy
10-17-2003, 11:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8 ball ho:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I always thought it should be open season on rude dumb ass jerks. Well, rude dumb ass pool player jerks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .....<hr /></blockquote>

Funny thing is he's really not a bad guy. I just feel it's my responsibility to teach him some manners /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

... if he does it ... I grab the cue ball, throw it across the room ...

If he continues,when he sits it down, again I throw the chalk across the room.

If he does not get the message, the 2nd piece goes across the room,

just my opinion but you have a problem

and it is much worse than your opponents

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Qtec
10-18-2003, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are like most room owners, you don't see nothing any way, 90% of the time you are gone, when you are in, you spend most of your time playing video poker or gambling the joint down the tubes by placing non stop bets with your bookie or trying to set up your $12,000 ring game to hustle all of your customers. A bull Rhino could walk through your joint you would not see it, you are too busy trying to hustle some chick.

<hr /></blockquote>

ROLF.HaHaHa

Q

stickman
10-18-2003, 06:15 AM
I played a woman on a challenge table at the pool hall the other night. She kept placing the chalk on the rail upside down. I asked her, very politely, to not continue doing it. I don't know if she was stupid, offended, or trying to get in my head, but she continued to do it. She eventually ran out of quarters. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a friend that smears talc all over the table. It doesn't matter how many times you mention it to him either. Should I throw the talc across the room or the guy?
Nevermind, on second thought, the guys too big. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris in NC
10-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Your post reminded me of another one I see often and think is extremely rude. That's the players that while their opponent is still racking (and trying their darndest to get the rack tight) they have already assumed their break position and taking their warmup strokes awaiting for the racker to remove move the triangle before slamming into the balls. The racker obviously has no idea whether or not the breaker plans to break before they are safely given an opportunity to get away from the table.

This has always extremely bothered me even if I see someone else doing it. IMO, the breaker should not assume the break position until the opponent has completed racking the balls, placing the triangle back in it's proper place and has had time to move away from the foot of the table. - Chris in NC

Wally_in_Cincy
10-19-2003, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> ......they have already assumed their break position and taking their warmup strokes waiting for the racker to remove the triangle before slamming into the balls......

. - Chris in NC <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. I have seen that too many times. SPetty had a solution for this. While racking, she lays her cue on the table in such a position that it discourages this type of behavior.

plato 17
10-19-2003, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> ......they have already assumed their break position and taking their warmup strokes waiting for the racker to remove the triangle before slamming into the balls......

Oh Yes, this should be a part of every players routine, no matter who they are playing, just do it every time you rack.
Lay you cue in the middle of the table after all of the balls are collected and down around the spot. Now rack, then walk to the side of the table, then pull your cue out.
When you are up north of the side pockets, you are out of danger of being hit by a flying cue ball. If you pull up the rack and are standing down behind the balls and the guy blasts them before you can get out of there, you can catch a cue ball right in the kisser. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviddjmp
10-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Wow. I cannot believe that anyone would have to resort to that behavior although I believe it is justified. I guess I am very lucky as there is absolutely no behavior like that in our league. Example:

I was playing this guy, lots of safes, very close game. He had two balls left, I had just the 8. He made his OB and scratched, giving me the game. He walked away from the table, issued some expletives while waving his cue around, then came back and shook my hand in congratulations.

Kato
10-19-2003, 03:14 PM
I know a guy that does this while we play even though my cue is on the table. I'll simply look up at him and say, "this may take a while, just gonna make ya freeze up son".

Kato

Ralph S.
10-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Very good point Chris. I hate that myself. Actually seen a guy get hurt badly once that way.

Rod
10-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Wally since were whining, LOL One of my pet peeves is a cell phone. Someone interupts a pool game, hell it might be a ring game I'm in. I'd like to insert that where the sun doesn't shine. I can get real rude if that happens more than once. Ok I feel better, I'm done whine-ing. ha ha ha

Rod

plato 17
10-19-2003, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wally since were whining, LOL One of my pet peeves is a cell phone. Someone interupts a pool game, hell it might be a ring game I'm in. I'd like to insert that where the sun doesn't shine. I can get real rude if that happens more than once. Ok I feel better, I'm done whine-ing. ha ha ha

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Cell phones are now a part of life and if your old lady calls you and you don't answer, you are are in deep dog do do. You could do it like they did it in the old wild west, you must check all guns, knives and cell phones at the door.

Seriously, if you are playing in the zone, you will not hear the phone even ring, if you do, find somebody to teach you the zone and concentration. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cheesemouse
10-19-2003, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wally since were whining, LOL One of my pet peeves is a cell phone. Someone interupts a pool game, hell it might be a ring game I'm in. I'd like to insert that where the sun doesn't shine. I can get real rude if that happens more than once. Ok I feel better, I'm done whine-ing. ha ha ha

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

I just played in a State 9 Ball tournament two weeks ago and those CELL PHONES are out of control, they are everywhere. My team played in the finals and while racking for one of my games I look at where both teams where set up and of the ten players two where on cell phones talking and three of the women non players where making calls......all I can say is "it a good thing I am hard of hearing" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rod
10-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Maybe the guys with a short leash need a cell phone. Hell I don't know and don't care. If they need to take care of business then don't play in our ring game!

Playing in the zone, what the hell does that have to do with anything? I'm waiting on the guy with the phone growing out of his ear, soon to be in a dark orfice, holding up the game.

I focus well and deal with piddley a$$ed pool issues fine. A cell phone is not a pool issue.

Rod

Ralph S.
10-20-2003, 01:55 AM
Hey Rod, I agree and disagree. I have a cell phone and with my dad's very poor health it is a very useful thing for me. I just usually turn the volume down on the ringer and let the voice mail pick up the calls. I will however check for messages once or twice in between sets or matches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AndyG
10-20-2003, 07:04 AM
DeeMan, The pool scene was pretty strong at Auburn several years ago. There were 3 real rooms there in 1961. My 1st part time job when I was in school there was racking balls for $.50 an hour plus free pool.

But on to the present, there's a real nice tournament coming up next week about 3 hours from Auburn. The Emerald Coast Classic in Ft Walton Beach, FL. $7200 added, $100 entry. Starts on Wed., Oct 29th and concludes on Sat. Nov 1st.

Two weeks later, there's a weekend event at Starcade Billiards, also in Ft Walton Beach. $1500 added, $50 entry.
Nov. 15 and 16.

If you'd like a flyer or more info on either of these, email me.

AndyG

Scott Lee
10-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Dee...You probably know this, but Squirrel still lives in Tuscaloosa, and although he is in his 80's, I hear he still plays most every day at one of the local rooms. No doubt you could probably find him, and play some one-hole! That would be fun!

Scott

sack316
10-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Auburn and tuscaloosa, sounds like home! I'm from prattville, if any of y'all are ever gonna be around towards montgomery or want to get together let me know. Always in the mood to get by butt waxed by a stranger!

AndyG
10-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Scott, Squirrel is now living in Mobile, AL. I saw him at a tournament there a few months ago, and I understand he's opened a bar/poolroom os some sort.
AndyG

Rod
10-20-2003, 10:44 AM
I understand that aspect Ralph. You probably let people know up front you could get interupted. It's the ones that just make a call or receive calls during a game that annoys me. There are a couple of guys that do this on a regular basis. Simply put, I won't deal with that crap anymore. If their trying to run a business or who knows what, then don't play in a ring game.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
10-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Rod,

You'll like this,

At Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento CA, it is announced at every tournament, to turn your cell phone OFF or put it on vibrate. If it RINGS you loose a game.. if it RINGS twice, you loose your match.

If you answer the call (if on vibrate) it counts as your 'break' for that match.

NO CELL PHONES.. or you pay the price.

Spectators are asked to also turn their cells to vibrate or OFF. If a cell phone rings during the tournament, there is a warning, the second time the spectators are asked to leave.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-20-2003, 11:23 AM
When I am racking, I like to keep the cue ball at my end of the table.

If racking and my opponent is down and getting ready to crank it up.. I will ask for the cue ball. I will just lightly tap the one ball.. just make a click sound. Finish the racking. Slow roll the cue ball back to the other end of the table, and go sit down.

Works everytime.

cycopath
10-20-2003, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AndyG:</font><hr> Scott, Squirrel is now living in Mobile, AL. I saw him at a tournament there a few months ago, and I understand he's opened a bar/poolroom os some sort.
AndyG <hr /></blockquote>Really? I'm not aware of a new room in Mobile. But it sure would be nice if it were true.
Breakers is nice but it's been overrun by teenagers and college students.

AndyG
10-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Cycopath, I believe it was a bar, something like Amvets maybe.

That was about 7-8 months ago when he told me that.

AndyG