PDA

View Full Version : Jack Justis Cases, anyone know about them..

RUNaRAK
10-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Has anyone ever purchased or know of anyone that has purchased a Jack Justis case. He seems to do great custom work and although expensive, very unique.
I am considering ordering one with my name on it and hoping to be the last one I ever need. If you know about his cases or how he is to deal with, let me know.

Thank you.... web page (http://www.jbkoontz.com) <font color="red"> </font color> Joe Koontz

Voodoo Daddy
10-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Worth every penny. Jack stands behind his work and has been at for a long time. Call him though instead of sending in an order via internet or fax...good luck!

tateuts
10-17-2003, 11:51 AM
I have an early Justis saddle leather tooled case. It is by far the nicest case I own. His work is highly refined and the case is very durable. It will also easily hold a 60" two piece with joint protectors, and a jump cue will fit into the compartment. I would definitely order the extra tooling because it looks sharp and that's what sets the case apart.

Justis cases hold their value really well and are actually already a pretty solid collectible.

Chris

Rich R.
10-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Jack makes one of the best cases on the market and he, and his wife, are very nice to deal with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob C
10-17-2003, 01:47 PM
I've used one of Jack's cases for the past 5 years. It is a great case and has held up well. Yesterday I saw him at the Midwest Expo where he has some really nice looking cases for sale. (It is only 6-8 hours from Ohio and would make a nice weekend trip.) They are a bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Barbara
10-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Yeah, but can I run over it with "The Beast" and not damage the cues inside?

Barbara~~~not that I would do that intentionally...

Wally_in_Cincy
10-17-2003, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Yeah, but can I run over it with "The Beast" and not damage the cues inside? <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

Barbara's benchmark for cue case quality /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
10-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Hey listen Wally!!!

Not that I would do that intentionally, but a friend of mine actually ran over her cue case by mistake with a GMC Jimmy and her cues survived unscathed!! That's a testament to the structual integrity of Instroke cases!

Okay, I want a pretty case for now and forever but I want a strong case! If I'm going to sacrifice it and my custom cue to the airlines (and I'll put it in one of my Porper travel bags, 'cause I love them), I need it to withstand some pressure!!

How about the leather of JJ cases? Easy to scuff up or what? Fred Agnir?? Anyone? Ferris?? Ferris??

Barbara

BLACKHEART
10-17-2003, 06:06 PM
I highly recommend his cases. I have a beauty &amp; am planning to order another...JER

Deeman
10-17-2003, 08:30 PM
I won mine in a tournament in Nashville in the mid to late ninties and it is still in great shape despite being dragged around to 49 countries. The metal closure and zippers are somewhat worn and I might suggest that Jack go to stainless hardware but I have no complaints. Mine is a 2 X 4 and I wish it had a place for a jump cue butt. Anyone know if there is a good add on for this?

Just saw Leon Russell in a very small concert in Alabama and boy was he great!

Dee

tateuts
10-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Here's a picture of mine hosted by the new PoolPlayersParadise.com site Brady set up:

Justis Case (http://www.poolplayersparadise.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&amp;file=displayimage&amp;albu m=random&amp;cat=5&amp;pos=-217)

This case will never be sold.

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
10-18-2003, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Hey listen Wally!!!

Not that I would do that intentionally, but a friend of mine actually ran over her cue case by mistake with a GMC Jimmy and her cues survived unscathed!! That's a testament to the structual integrity of Instroke cases!....<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I remember that story /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After reading that story I decided to buy my girlfriend an Instroke. Not that I've ever run over anything...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ras314
10-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Was a bit of a hassel getting to your pic. Nice looking case and cues.

Have outgrown my 2X4 porper, a Justice case is on my Christmas list. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tateuts
10-18-2003, 04:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Was a bit of a hassel getting to your pic. Nice looking case and cues.

Have outgrown my 2X4 porper, a Justice case is on my Christmas list. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Did they make you register in order to just view the picture? If so, maybe we have to let Brady know. Thanks for the compliment on the case...I love it.

Chris

ras314
10-18-2003, 05:23 PM
" Did they make you register in order to just view the picture? If so, maybe we have to let Brady know."

Already registered, as powderburner, no problem there. However I had to login and hunt for the pic, direct link didn't seem to work no matter what. But then I'm near computer illerate these days.

Think Brady wants as many registerations as possable, maybe can get more adds that way. Can't blame him for that.

3X6 case happens to be just what I'm looking for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BLACKHEART
10-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I talked to JACK JUSTIS today at the MIDWEST OPEN. We had a nice talk &amp; he had some great lookin' cases there. By the way there were a TON of great fantastic Qs there from about 10 Q makers &amp; retailers...JER

bluewolf
10-19-2003, 06:19 AM
We looked at them at valley forge. They appeared quite handsome and well made. I like the fact that he makes them one at a time to your specifications.

I was going to get one when I reached a certain skill level, but who knows. I was planning on reaching that skill in 2004 but think I would rather get a new case for whitewolf instead since I already have an adequate leather case.

Laura

bolo
10-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Just to play devils advocate for a second, I myself have a simple soft case with a zipper top. It holds two cues and has a zipper bag on the side. I don't remember what it cost, maybe $35.00.I go to the pool room and take out my cue and throw the case under the table. I came to play pool not baby sit my precious case afraid it will get a scratch on it. We were going to a tournament one night, no big deal just local and one of the guys with an expensive case was running for the car in the parking lot when he dropped it. He spent the rest of the night examining the case wondering how the scratch could be fixed, should he send it back to the maker and so no. I don't know, maybe it is just me, but I don't really want a case with my name down the side in one inch letters that that weighs 10 pounds with two cues in it I am worrying about all the time. I have always used the soft sided cases that in my opinion protect the cue just fine for normal every day use. I like the tube style cases also, like the George cases, they protect the cue very well, especially against humidity because they seal up nicely. Although not cheap, they don't cost an arm and a leg and are a little more conservative looking in my opinion. Some cases like the Justis style don't seal up very well to protect against the humidity found in some areas. When you leave the air conditioned pool room on a hot humid summer night, you want that cue in a sealed case. Maybe it is just me, but I see the guys with the ridiculously fancy cases with their names on them and they remind me of the guys in the 70's with all the chains around their necks and the gold medallions. Can somebody explain why they want their name in big letters on their case? At the very least wouldn't it hurt the resale value? Not to mention, it looks Goofy. Of course this is my opinion and I am sure many will disagrees.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-19-2003, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr>

...Maybe it is just me, but I see the guys with the ridiculously fancy cases with their names on them and they remind me of the guys in the 70's with all the chains around their necks and the gold medallions. Can somebody explain why they want their name in big letters on their case? At the very least wouldn't it hurt the resale value? Not to mention, it looks Goofy......<hr /></blockquote>

LOL

If you walk in with something like that you better be able to play some /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's one reason I don't have a fancy case /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif That and the expense

I did buy a nice Instroke for my girlfriend. She can play some.

Wally

Chris in NC
10-19-2003, 09:08 AM
I've had a custom made Jack Justis case about 5-6 years and it's a beauty. Light brown tooled leather with dark green suede, snakeskin and our poolroom's logo tooled in on both sides. He's as straight forward a person to deal with as you'll ever find in this business - and remembers all his customers forever. He even custom made for me (for next to nothing) two leather sales order book covers with our logo upon my request, after I saw his order book at a show.

I will say that even though Jack's case is better made, more unique and far more stunning than the Instroke's, I seem to prefer using my Instroke case for two reasons. The top flap on the Justis case (at least on mine) is not as convenient to open and close, and the shafts and butts don't fit as tightly in their respective holes as they do with the Instroke case - in which there is absolutely no room for the cue to move around at all.

For some, maybe they would prefer this style. There's also a chance he may have changed / improved these things since my case. As I recall when I discussed these concerns with him in person when seeing him at a show a few years ago, Jack offered to make any requested changes on the case that I would like for no charge, although I've never sent it back to him. Can't beat that for customer service!

tateuts
10-19-2003, 09:45 AM
The Justis cases are functional as well as beautiful. The inner compartment is fully replaceable in about 10 minutes, consisting of very tough, thick vinyl tubes lined in felt.

My Justis case weighs only 4 pounds. Instokes, which I absolutely do not like for a number of reasons, are 50% heavier (about 6 pounds). You could probably run over the Justis with a car too without hurting the cues.

I disagree with the humidity point. My best sealed case is a McDermott Super Mac which seems to trap the moisture. On the Justis, the leather and felt breathes so any trapped moisture in the linen and air will dry out. I agree that the George style was/is a great design because they are compact, but they have weaknesses. The outer rim (where the cap slides on)is prone to breakage and when the inner liner wears out, throw it away. Concerning soft cases, I'm not sold that they are proper storage over the long haul.

As far as the finish goes, I personally think natural saddle leather is the way to go - just look at the photo I posted of my case - the more scruffed up and worn it gets the better it looks.

You're right about the lettering. It makes it look like a pro golfers bag. To each his own, I guess.

Buying a fancy case is like buying a fancy cue or fancy car, you don't need one but they are sure nice to look at.

Chris

bolo
10-19-2003, 10:11 AM
I agree with you, and like I said I was just playing devils advocate a little. They are not to my taste but the Justis case for that type of case is about as good as it gets. I am a businessman and although I have never seen him build a case. I know about the materials and what goes into it to know he is not getting rich building those cases. They are well worth the price. To be honest the problem I have with high end cases for me anyway is, I just don't want to be worrying or obsessing about my case. I want to take it where ever I go and not think about it and I defiantly don't want my name glaring at me on the case. You are right about a plain leather case, they take on real character as they age. Even scuffs and scratches are not that bad , just put some leather stuff on there and even though it can still be seen, so what, it just looks like it has been around.