PDA

View Full Version : 90% mental

Braditude
10-17-2003, 11:56 PM
Well I Have heard if you don't bring it with you you wont find it here so 5 days before the North West B.C.A 9 ball regionals in Lincoln City Oregon I am almost reluctant to ask.When I was 7 years old 2 states away I took my first pool lesson from my Granpa .When I was 13 he was 10 minutes away we played once aweek.In Dec. I will be 42. Last Mar. I placed 25 thru 32 of 400 in the 8 ball reionals the top twelve were moved to master status.
After spending 8 weekend days in the last 13 months with Randy G. I am sure my fundamentals are top notch. My personal B.C.A reconized instructer Mark Avlon tells me that my ball making accuaracy is almost beyond belief.
I convinced my self in the last couple weeks that I have a great chance to win the regional open
Yet two days ago my leauge team played a match aganst the team that we have taken 2cnd to for the last 3 years.
They are a strong team no doubt but I knew my improved game was more than ready. I went 1 of 4 and we lost 15 to 6 that in it self is not so bad but I know I did not play to half of my ability as somtimes I do not when I play gohsts of beatings past or get behind in a match against a stranger.
Can any one help me with this cycle of lack of par perfomance.............Braditude

Billy
10-18-2003, 12:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Braditude:</font><hr> Well I Have heard if you don't bring it with you you wont find it here so 5 days before the North West B.C.A 9 ball regionals in Lincoln City Oregon I am almost reluctant to ask.When I was 7 years old 2 states away I took my first pool lesson from my Granpa .When I was 13 he was 10 minutes away we played once aweek.In Dec. I will be 42. Last Mar. I placed 25 thru 32 of 400 in the 8 ball reionals the top twelve were moved to master status.
After spending 8 weekend days in the last 13 months with Randy G. I am sure my fundamentals are top notch. My personal B.C.A reconized instructer Mark Avlon tells me that my ball making accuaracy is almost beyond belief.
I convinced my self in the last couple weeks that I have a great chance to win the regional open
Yet two days ago my leauge team played a match aganst the team that we have taken 2cnd to for the last 3 years.
They are a strong team no doubt but I knew my improved game was more than ready. I went 1 of 4 and we lost 15 to 6 that in it self is not so bad but I know I did not play to half of my ability as somtimes I do not when I play gohsts of beatings past or get behind in a match against a stranger.
Can any one help me with this cycle of lack of par perfomance.............Braditude <hr /></blockquote>

high expectations can be a hinderance imo

play one shot at a time,stay in the present,and enjoy the competition

you can't win the event until it's over

good luck

plato 17
10-19-2003, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Braditude:</font><hr> Well I Have heard if you don't bring it with you you wont find it here so 5 days before the North West B.C.A 9 ball regionals in Lincoln City Oregon I am almost reluctant to ask.When I was 7 years old 2 states away I took my first pool lesson from my Granpa .When I was 13 he was 10 minutes away we played once aweek.In Dec. I will be 42. Last Mar. I placed 25 thru 32 of 400 in the 8 ball reionals the top twelve were moved to master status.
Can any one help me with this cycle of lack of par perfomance.............Braditude <hr /></blockquote>

Just about every teacher on this board does a pretty good job of getting your mechanical basics down strong. None of them know much about the mental side of the game, and what little they do know, they dont bother to teach, which is a blessing.

There is only one teacher out there who teaches both at the same time. He feels you must learn the mechanical and the mental sides at the same time. What good does it do a person like you to spend all of that time and money which you have, to perfect a mechanical game, that will not hold up and chokes and loses under fire.

Your solution is to seek out and find the top guru in this field and he will set you free of your demons. You find him by going to www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bluewolf
10-19-2003, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote plato 17:</font><hr> Just about every teacher on this board does a pretty good job of getting your mechanical basics down strong. None of them know much about the mental side of the game, and what little they do know, they dont bother to teach, which is a blessing.

There is only one teacher out there who teaches both at the same time. He feels you must learn the mechanical and the mental sides at the same time. What good does it do a person like you to spend all of that time and money which you have, to perfect a mechanical game, that will not hold up and chokes and loses under fire.

<hr /></blockquote>

I think I know the key to playing at my ability level: relaxation, concentration and confidence regardless of who I am playing. Also knowing that some nights my best is not my best. That is I might not play as well as I have at other times, but it is the best I am capable of for that night.

If I played my best,tried my hardest, then why beat myself up? Why not just pick a shot that I missed and work on it or a mental error I was having.

The last time I played in apa, I played a person who was ranked sl7 in the apa. Even though my teammates said I played well, I felt that I had let his rank affect me. It is a waste of time to speculate about the outcome if my mental game had been better that night, but I do think that I would have played more relaxed and not missed some shots that I usually make. I simply became very nervous because of who I was playing rather than keeping my focus on the table. I sure got a lesson in not allowing who I am playing to affect my play and disrupt my usual state of relaxation. A valuable lesson.

I do not need FL or anybody else to tell me that my screw up was on the mental court. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am sure there will be opportunities to face this 'demon' again and again.

But to Plato, I do know lots of people who teach the mental side, not just one person. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

randyg
10-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Billy said it all....randyg

mike_in_iowa
10-20-2003, 01:03 AM
this response will bring up a lot of thoughts but here goes. GAMBLE . play with pressure on yourself as often as you can. Play players that you can't beat. dig deep down and find the way to win. this cannot be learned overnight. hopefully you will make some good games and come out ahead to pay for your lessons with the better players.
play in as many tourneys as you can. you need to play with the pressure on yourself as often as you can.
check out some books on the mental game try "the inner game of tennis" and "pleasures of small motions". hell even try hypnosis.
and it has already been said but shoot 1 shot at a time. follow your routine and good things will come.

as a side note I will not be pimping any out of work self-accredited instructers in this post nor am I going to post something for somebody else because they keep getting kicked off all of the boards.

mike in iowa

cheesemouse
10-20-2003, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> this response will bring up a lot of thoughts but here goes. GAMBLE . play with pressure on yourself as often as you can. Play players that you can't beat. dig deep down and find the way to win. this cannot be learned overnight. hopefully you will make some good games and come out ahead to pay for your lessons with the better players.
play in as many tourneys as you can. you need to play with the pressure on yourself as often as you can.
check out some books on the mental game try "the inner game of tennis" and "pleasures of small motions". hell even try hypnosis.
and it has already been said but shoot 1 shot at a time. follow your routine and good things will come.

as a side note I will not be pimping any out of work self-accredited instructers in this post nor am I going to post something for somebody else because they keep getting kicked off all of the boards.

mike in iowa <hr /></blockquote>

Mike,
I'm not laughing. While Billy's advise is well and good in a practical sports psychology sense you just don't see players coming out of a closet and wowing the tempered experienced players who have traveled that 40 miles of bad road. If you wish to take your game to a higher and higher level you have dive off the highboard over and over until your comfortable. There is no better learning experience than a couple gut renching belly flops off the high board...LOL
When is the last time you have heard of some player with no experience in competition winning an event of any significance? I think pool is like most sports, you learn the most from losing. JMHO

pooltchr
10-20-2003, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> as a side note I will not be pimping any out of work self-accredited instructers in this post nor am I going to post something for somebody else because they keep getting kicked off all of the boards.

mike in iowa <hr /></blockquote>

Tap Tap Tap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!