PDA

View Full Version : A CAD or draw program for pool diagrams?

NH_Steve
10-18-2003, 05:59 AM
Does anyone have -- or know of -- a simple cad or drawing program for diagraming pool shots? Kind of like the WEI table, but I'm talking about something specifically set up for printing out. It would be ideal if it allowed text on the drawing, and allowed for zooming in and cropping.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Rich R.
10-18-2003, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> Does anyone have -- or know of -- a simple cad or drawing program for diagraming pool shots? Kind of like the WEI table, but I'm talking about something specifically set up for printing out. It would be ideal if it allowed text on the drawing, and allowed for zooming in and cropping.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! <hr /></blockquote>
Try searching posts by Brady Behrman. Some time ago, he posted a link for a pool table and setting up shots, which printed easily. I do not know if it had all the other features your looking for, but it may be worth a try.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Not the entire answer, but this is available for a 'blank' scaled and with girds.
Pool Table Template (http://www.geocities.com/cincytom314/pooltable1.gif)

Ross
10-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Steve - you could try SmartDraw. You can create pretty much any kind of drawing with it. Look at some of their samples on their website ( http://www.smartdraw.com/ ) to see what I mean. They have a free 30 day trial offer I think. The downside is that the while it is meant to be much more user friendly than a professional program like photoshop, it still has a significant learning curve and can be a bit awkward at times. Also they like to save things to their proprietary .sdr files, but I do think you can convert them to regular .jpg, gif's, etc. with some effort.

Brady_Behrman
10-18-2003, 06:40 PM
try http://www.vbwebsites.com/table/

Thanks
Brady

MarkUrsel
10-19-2003, 04:46 AM
I've just used the Trick shot setup in Virtual Pool 3 to get an any-point-of-view 3D rendering of a table situation. It works well and you can probably find it in the bargain bin at a computer store for under $20.

The table can be viewed from anywhere, including the overhead view, and can be zoomed, rotated or cropped to show as little or as much as you like. Use the print-screen key to capture it to the clipboard, and paste it into any graphics program to do your final edits and save it.

Check out this example:

http://www.neocomconsulting.com/user/MarkUrsel/images/pooltable1.jpg

heater451
10-19-2003, 10:00 PM
If you just need some very basic, "not to scale" diagrams, Microsoft Word has built-in drawing tools. That is, the Office 2k version does, and I'm sure XP does. . .but I don't remember if the version from Office 97 does. . . .

Anyway, you can try going to View--&gt;Toolbars, and put a check next to "Drawing". This should enable the Drawing toolbar at the bottom of the Word window (although, it could be at the top, if it's been moved since being enabled).

A basic representation of the table rectangle could be sketched out, along with circles for balls (which can be solid colors--it takes a little more skill to make a stripe ball). And there is a arrow "brush" to show movement.

Instead of using a bare rectangle for a table outline, you could put a graphic in the document (like the one linked from here (http://heater451.tripod.com/download.htm)), and draw over it.

Text can be put around a graphic, or text boxes can be placed over a graphic. --a text box is selectable from the Drawing toolbar, and sized as needed.

BTW, If anyone uses the word processor in Microsoft Works, could you let us know if Drawing is available? Many people have Works pre-installed on e-Machines or Dell PCs, and might be able to use it instead of Word.

Rod and I went through the CAD bit awhile back, with him downloading several free/share-ware apps, as I recall. Personally, I think the learning curve on a CAD app over a graphic one is a bit steeper--due to a lack of 'intuitive controls' ("user-friendly"), and so I would recommend a graphics utility. And, as I've said before, Photoshop is too expensive for the casual user, but Photoshop Elements (or LE) is a good buy for $100--and they sometimes come for free with scanners or digital cameras. Other apps can be had for around $100, and I would bet that something servicable could be found for $40-75, but you would have to check with your nearest software dealer.

=========================

Rod
10-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Word 97 has built in drawing tools. The learning curve on a CAD program is a bit steep. Like anything though if you use it very often it gets easier. I like the free version of Turbo Cad but I'm a little out of stroke on that right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The full version of TC8 can be bought on Ebay for $35 or less.

Rod

Fred Agnir
10-21-2003, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> Does anyone have -- or know of -- a simple cad or drawing program for diagraming pool shots? Kind of like the WEI table, but I'm talking about something specifically set up for printing out. It would be ideal if it allowed text on the drawing, and allowed for zooming in and cropping.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! <hr /></blockquote>

This might be too much work, I don't know, but when you do a WEI table, you can do a screen shot (alt+printscreen). Paste the screen shot in a photo editor, and you'll be able to do whatever you want with it.

Fred