PDA

View Full Version : Weekend assignment

cheesemouse
10-18-2003, 10:05 AM
The game is 8-ball

START(
%AP0C9%BP4E1%CY5C8%HE1D7%PM0E9%eB6`0

)END

Here is the deal: the three is obviously frozen to the rail in the spot that we all dread, the two is frozen to the one in such a fashion that it will not go directly to the rail and the one is frozen to the rail. The guy on the eight has bumped his eight into play after a lengthy safety battle ( the guy was a jerk, by the way ). He immediately calls in a referee. He wants to make sure that the one is called frozen.......what is the solution for an easy win in this 8-ball game???

Sid_Vicious
10-18-2003, 11:14 AM
START(
%AP0C9%BP4E1%CY5C8%HE1D7%PM4F3%Ua6F7%VP6C9%WT4Z3%X P6E6%YZ7D4
%ZT5[1%[N8D7%\M6F0%eB4a5
)END

I would go for this. A medium hit into the one compressing the rail enough to shorten the two cross side bank, figuring to come in early on the side rail ball pocket(3) enough to lighten it up off of the rail. Even if it goes clean, the one will remain for a breakout ball down in the far left hand corner pocket. It's lines look good to me as long as the rail cushions are not f'ed up to begin with...sid

tateuts
10-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Can't you just hit the two ball straight on, into the rail gently with follow, hiding most of the cue ball behind the one?

Chris

Barbara
10-18-2003, 02:05 PM
cheese,

Like tateuts, I would hit the 2 with a soft follow to park the CB behind the one.

Unfortunately, with the 8 so close to the pocket, your opponent has a really good chance of kicking it in.

Let us know what the answer is.

Barbara

tateuts
10-18-2003, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> cheese,

Unfortunately, with the 8 so close to the pocket, your opponent has a really good chance of kicking it in.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. If I were in this situation, I would expect to lose. You could try a thin hit on the two with left english leaving the cue ball downrail and hope the one/two pops out like this:

START(
%AN1D4%BP3D8%CY5C8%HE1D7%PM0E9%eB6`0%_b2D6%`r8G3%a M7F2

)END

WEI Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/)

but the kick or masse is always there, and a good player has a pretty good chance of pulling it off.

Chris

cheesemouse
10-18-2003, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking this is one of those you had be there kind of things. Sometimes the wei just can't show the set up perfectly. The problem was getting a rail. The two wouldn't go to the rail because it was aimed to the outside half of the three which was also frozen...Barara will like this one being a referree.

I softly rolled the two into the frozen three, the cb did hook him behind the one...the ref called a no rail foul....I aurgued the 3 got a rail...he said the 3 was frozen....I said you were called over here to determine if the one was frozen and the 'guy' didn't have you determine if the three was frozen therefore it wasn't called frozen...the ref said "your correct he did not have me call the three frozen, it is not a foul". Like I said the other player was a jerk or I would have never pressed the issue on what was a foul but technically not a foul.....the guy scratched off the eight when he kicked for it.....I am now on this guys $hit list and it don't bother me a bit.....LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sorry for the confusion of my explaination....

Barbara
10-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Well at least the ref corrected himself.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
10-19-2003, 09:40 AM
"Unfortunately, with the 8 so close to the pocket, your opponent has a really good chance of kicking it in."

That's why I gave up trying for a safety. There's maybe a throw into the opposite side instead of the cross, which would realisticly coast the one down the rail to nudge the 3, but I don't see much else...sid

CrispyFish
10-19-2003, 11:31 AM
What about this?

START(
%AP0C9%BP4E1%CY5C8%HE1D7%PM0E9%[Z6D7%\Q6E0%]V9O7%^C8F5%eB6`0
%_G1D5%`N4D8%aN1E8
)END

wei table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

It all depends how the 8 was sitting, but you might be able to draw off the 2, freeing up all your balls, and hit the 8 on the rail side to knock it away from the pocket and hopefully leave your opponent a tough shot.

Just an idea. *shrug*

-CF

SPetty
10-19-2003, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> I softly rolled the two into the frozen three, the cb did hook him behind the one...the ref called a no rail foul....I aurgued the 3 got a rail...he said the 3 was frozen....I said you were called over here to determine if the one was frozen and the 'guy' didn't have you determine if the three was frozen therefore it wasn't called frozen...the ref said "your correct he did not have me call the three frozen, it is not a foul".<hr /></blockquote>While in Vegas for the BCA amateur nationals, whenever a referee was called to watch a shot, the ref took the time to call all the frozen balls, even though they weren't obviously involved in the shot.

Did you feel good about this shot, knowing full well that it was a foul and taking the "good" hit on a technicality?

Taking this time to vent: I played in a tournament this weekend - I'm so tired of the jackass poolplayers that are rude and jerks. Why can't they just be normal, friendly and nice? Come on, people, it's just a game!

cheesemouse
10-19-2003, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> I softly rolled the two into the frozen three, the cb did hook him behind the one...the ref called a no rail foul....I aurgued the 3 got a rail...he said the 3 was frozen....I said you were called over here to determine if the one was frozen and the 'guy' didn't have you determine if the three was frozen therefore it wasn't called frozen...the ref said "your correct he did not have me call the three frozen, it is not a foul".<hr /></blockquote>While in Vegas for the BCA amateur nationals, whenever a referee was called to watch a shot, the ref took the time to call all the frozen balls, even though they weren't obviously involved in the shot.

Did you feel good about this shot, knowing full well that it was a foul and taking the "good" hit on a technicality?

Taking this time to vent: I played in a tournament this weekend - I'm so tired of the jackass poolplayers that are rude and jerks. Why can't they just be normal, friendly and nice? Come on, people, it's just a game!
<hr /></blockquote>

Spetty,

YES I did feel good about it. This guy's nickname is the 'rule guy'. He uses the rules against unknowning players all the time. I use one against him...this ain't Sunday school sweetheart.......