PDA

View Full Version : Rack Your Own?

L.S. Dennis
10-19-2003, 07:41 PM
More and more I'm seeing that 9-ball tounaments are going for the rack your own format. At least here on the west coast that's pretty much all you see these days.

The Sands Reno Open pretty much started this thing because of a certain pro constantly checking and complaining about the racks he'd been given. It certainly does cut down on arguments and definetly saves a lot of time. How does everyone else on this board feel about this format?
Just wondering.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-19-2003, 08:46 PM
L.S. Dennis,

I've noticed that the 'rack your own' format has worked well at Hard Times. But, it's still an option. If one player wants a 'rack you own' for the match, then that's the way it is.

I've never seen any arguments or the non-racking player even check the rack.

Popcorn
10-19-2003, 09:05 PM
I don't want to rack my own, I don't care if a neutral person is racking, I am not going to argue about racks. I think too much is made of it. Some players can torture you with it though. Nice little Tommy Kennedy will have you re-rack over and over when nothing is wrong, same with Nick Varner it is just a move.

cheesemouse
10-20-2003, 05:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> More and more I'm seeing that 9-ball tounaments are going for the rack your own format. At least here on the west coast that's pretty much all you see these days.

The Sands Reno Open pretty much started this thing because of a certain pro constantly checking and complaining about the racks he'd been given. It certainly does cut down on arguments and definetly saves a lot of time. How does everyone else on this board feel about this format?
Just wondering. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't mind the rack your own format but I think the non-racking player should beable say where he wants the balls to be in the rack.

plato 17
10-20-2003, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> More and more I'm seeing that 9-ball tounaments are going for the rack your own format. At least here on the west coast that's pretty much all you see these days.

Just wondering. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, Grady is right on this one, it's the only way to go. I am sick of getting slug racks and nothing but cheating from my opponents. Begin to make 3 balls on the snap, or run a couple of racks and the slugs come from everyone, they will do anything to stop you. This simply solves a major problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Greg Adams
10-20-2003, 07:44 AM
All of my friends in our pool hall are now racking our balls when we win. We all agree, it stops a lot of the past arguments and suspicions on how well the guy did rack them when they do not spread out well.

L.S. Dennis
10-20-2003, 08:30 AM
In the rack your own format, the non racking player does have the option of looking at the rack after the winner/breaker gets through racking for him/her self but this rarely happens. He/she cannot dictate where the balls should go in the rack though.

RedHell
10-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Actually that would be against the current rules. The racker is supposed to put the ball in random order excluding the 1 and the 9. If your opponent can choose, they are not random anymore...

cheesemouse
10-20-2003, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> In the rack your own format, the non racking player does have the option of looking at the rack after the winner/breaker gets through racking for him/her self but this rarely happens. <font color="red">He/she cannot dictate where the balls should go in the rack though. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Dennis,

This is my only beef with the rack your own. If the racker has found a good break with a nice spread and the balls placed in the rack where he wants them the match can turn into something like that movie Ground Hog Day..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
10-20-2003, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Actually that would be against the current rules. The racker is supposed to put the ball in random order excluding the 1 and the 9. If your opponent can choose, they are not random anymore... <hr /></blockquote>

Red,

What rule is that???

RedHell
10-20-2003, 08:53 AM
There it is, from the BCA web site...

"5.2 RACKING THE BALLS
The object balls are racked in a diamond shape, with the 1-ball at the top of the diamond and on the foot spot, the 9-ball in the center of the diamond, and the other balls in <font color="red"> random order </font color> , racked as tightly as possible. The game begins with cue ball in hand behind the head string."

RedHell
10-20-2003, 08:54 AM
I believe you can complain if you notice a patern in the way the balls are placed in the rack.

I'm not sure how you would procede tho, and how a TD can fix this...

Eric.
10-20-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast plato(Larry)17:</font><hr>Yes, Grady is right on this one, it's the only way to go. I am sick of getting slug racks and nothing but cheating from my opponents. Begin to make 3 balls on the snap, or run a couple of racks and the slugs come from everyone, they will do anything to stop you. This simply solves a major problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I agree that racking your own is generally a good thing BUT you still have to check the rack. The person racking his own can rack in a way(9 ball) which can influence the way the rack breaks, to his advantage, such as racking to make the 9 on the break.

Eric

Popcorn
10-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Not too sure how you would rack to make the 9 ball, but if the corner balls begin going straight in, you better start checking his racks.

Eric.
10-20-2003, 03:05 PM
generally, if the balls above the 9 are tight and 1 ball below the 9 has a slight gap, the 9 can go into the lower corner pocket on the same side as the gap.

Eric

Leviathan
10-20-2003, 03:49 PM
'Lo, Popcorn. Could you explain a little further? What is it that one should one look for when the corner balls are going straight in? Thanks--DM.

L.S. Dennis
10-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Eric
You're are correct, if one of the two balls directly behind the nine has a slight gap it has a fair chance of going in. That is the main reason for checking the rack when someone racks for themselves. All the other balls can be racked as the racker likes as long as the one and nine are in their proper positions.

almer
10-21-2003, 06:20 PM
I saw mike massey make the nine ball 5 times in a race to 9 in a tournament in april.There was a lot of talk about checking the rack after that.Johnny Archer won the tournament. almer

L.S. Dennis
10-21-2003, 08:08 PM
When all is said and done, the rack your own format has more pluses than minuses. It does save time and doesn't give racker/breaker anything to complain about if they break badly. Again this whole thing started at the Sands about 5 years ago when the pro that we all love to hate continually complained about his racks which ended up frustrating Scott Smith and tested the limits of the fans patience. It's spread like wildfire ever since!