PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about the Midwest Expo/Tournament

Karatemom
10-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Damn you, Fred! You went ahead and jinxed me! All that talk about going one out of the money? Well, that's exactly what I did! LOL. I did manage to finish in the top 1/3 of the field so I can live with that. How did you end up?

Jimmy, hope you like the hats. Sally, I wish I had more time to sit and chat with you, but one of us always seemed to be on the go, LOL. Ruk, thanks for sweating those matches with me. At 11 p.m. running on 3 hours of sleep, I needed all the support I could get, LOL.

Meeting Grady and his wife was a real pleasure. They are two of the sweetest people and so down to earth! They definitely made me feel comfortable like I could sit and talk to them for hours, but unfortunately, it was a very busy weekend.

Eydie and Bob Romano put on a great show this weekend. There were a lot of vendors, everyone from Justis cases to all the pool-wear you could ever need. There was always action going on somewhere and you were never bored. The tables were great. I love those Diamond 7 footers! Thank you for the lovely weekend you two!

We didn't stick around to find out the results of the 8 ball tournament, and sorry, but didn't find out about the 9 ball either. I just know I had a wonderful time seeing and meeting everyone, and althought my game wasn't up to speed at times, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Heide ~ has no juicy stories to tell this time

Wally_in_Cincy
10-20-2003, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> .... I did manage to finish in the top 1/3 of the field so I can live with that....

<font color="blue">Not too shabby. How many players? I tried to find out at AZB but I think that site is having trouble. </font color>

...The tables were great. I love those Diamond 7 footers!....

<font color="blue">They used those at APA Nats in Vegas. Nice tables. Were the pockets generous? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

<font color="blue">Thanks for the report anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
10-20-2003, 09:10 AM
So how did CC do?

Notice that the advertising banner is gone?

Barbara

Karatemom
10-20-2003, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> .... I did manage to finish in the top 1/3 of the field so I can live with that....

<font color="blue">Not too shabby. How many players? I tried to find out at AZB but I think that site is having trouble. </font color>
<font color="red"> There were 85 players when we got there and registered at 10 a.m. Saturday, but I think they ended up with around 100 women in the 8 ball event. </font color>

...The tables were great. I love those Diamond 7 footers!....

<font color="blue">They used those at APA Nats in Vegas. Nice tables. Were the pockets generous? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>
<font color="red"> the pockets were only generous to most of us who play on these types of tables regularly. They have a very deep shelf and if you're not used to them, you'll jar most balls. Chris says it has something to do with the way the pockets are cut.</font color>

<font color="blue">Thanks for the report anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Heide

Karatemom
10-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Chris didn't fare so well. I think he lost his first match, won his second, and lost his third. Unfortunately, we played at the same time so we couldn't really watch each other but for a few minutes.

Besides being unprepared for this tournament (not practicing much), the smoke in the building really bothered him. Plus, the poor guy had to walk about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile each way to even get to the tournament area from our room, which we ended up changing because the first room ran out of hot water!

Then on top of it all, Friday evening when we arrived in town, we stopped to get a Chicago hot dog at a little stand, and he managed to get it stuck in his throat. To make a long story short, we ended up spending 7 hours at the hospital Friday evening, got back to the hotel at 4 a.m., and had to get up at 7 in the morning for our marches. That's hard for anyone to do, and in his situation, even harder. So he has decided that he has to work on getting his stamina back and strengthening his chest muscles and lungs.

The 2 games that he lost were in the convention center that was extremely smoky, no ventilation, and very, very warm!!! The match that he won was in the hotel ballroom, which was very comfortable and not smoky at all.

All in all, though, that was the only complaint he had about the whole tournament.

I'm sure he'll tell it better, but that's it in a nutshell, LOL.

Heide

SRpool
10-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I made it there about 7 on sunday. The vendors were already shutting down but it seemed like a great show.

Tammie Jones came back from the losers bracket to beat Pam Bell for the win in the 8ball tournament. Angie Mancuso finished 3rd and Rachel Abbink 4th. Amy Latsko from Chicago won the 9ball I'm not sure who she beat but I think it was Tammie Jones.

In the men's Jeff Sergeant beat Jason Kirkwood in a close match and Scott Tollefson was third, Eric Durbin 4th. I believe Brandon Ashcraft won the 9ball.

Congrats to everyone and good show.

sarah

Kato
10-20-2003, 02:37 PM
How about the Cassman? Did he play?

Kato~~~wonders.

BLACKHEART
10-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Heide, my wife Connie &amp; I enjoyed meeting you,in person, but once again we missed meeting your husband. Is he avoiding me?????????..JER

Rod
10-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Fred your in trouble. Heide, good playing. It sounds like the pool game was pretty good considering the circumstances.

Rod

Karatemom
10-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Oh my gosh! You're right! I never saw you two again after Saturday morning come to think of it. There were a lot of people there, I heard about 2500 total, including players, vendors, and spectators. You and your wife were very nice and gotta love that break cue! Geez, now I wish we had seen each other again. Chris really wanted to meet you. Seemed like once the matches started, that was the end of my social time, LOL. I'm sure glad I got the chance to meet the two of you though, and hopefully we will meet again soon.

Heide

Fred Agnir
10-21-2003, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Damn you, Fred! You went ahead and jinxed me! All that talk about going one out of the money? Well, that's exactly what I did! LOL. I did manage to finish in the top 1/3 of the field so I can live with that. How did you end up?<hr /></blockquote>

I was quickly reminded exactly how much better a better player plays on better equipment. I went 2-2, so I didn't do terribly, and I had a lot of fun.

On my second match (race to 5, 8-ball, BCA rules) my opponent broke and ran 2 of his 3 racks. I didn't make a ball on both of my breaks, and he ran them both. My second break was a soft second ball break leaving nothing. He still ran it out pretty easily. He drilled me 5-0. I'm sure that's a normal match for him.

My 3rd match, in a race to 4, I was down 3-2 with my opponent breaking. His break came up dry, and I ran out the rrest of the set. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't want to talk about my last match. My opponent played good enough to win, and I played good enough to lose.

A big thanks to Greg Sullivan and all the folks from Diamond.

Fred

Fred Agnir
10-21-2003, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> Heide, my wife Connie &amp; I enjoyed meeting you,in person, but once again we missed meeting your husband. Is he avoiding me?????????..JER <hr /></blockquote>I'm sorry I didn't meet you Jerry. I was there all weekend, mostly by the Justis/Espirtu booth. I had a Ron Thomas Case badge on. (Thanks Ron).

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks the Thomas Case is the best tube case going (especially without It's George and Fellini not really in competition)

Qtec
10-21-2003, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was quickly reminded exactly how much better a better player plays on better equipment. I went 2-2, so I didn't do terribly, and I had a lot of fun. <font color="blue"> Fred, if you dont mind I,m going to start a new thread over this. You make a good point. </font color>

On my second match (race to 5, 8-ball, BCA rules) my opponent broke and ran 2 of his 3 racks. I didn't make a ball on both of my breaks, and he ran them both. My second break was a soft second ball break leaving nothing. He still ran it out pretty easily. He drilled me 5-0. I'm sure that's a normal match for him. <font color="blue"> It can happen. Sometimes you just dont get a chance. </font color>

My 3rd match, in a race to 4, I was down 3-2 with my opponent breaking. His break came up dry, and I ran out the rrest of the set. <font color="blue"> Shows me that you can play better than you think. </font color>

I don't want to talk about my last match. My opponent played good enough to win, and I played good enough to lose<hr /></blockquote>

Does it hurt? It has to. You f##ked up. You gave it away. There was no reason to lose . The other guy didnt win , you lost against yourself. Am I wrong? Everybody's been there. Its the worst loss. You will get over it.

'Better'has got nothing to do with winning.

Qtec

Fred Agnir
10-21-2003, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> My 3rd match, in a race to 4, I was down 3-2 with my opponent breaking. His break came up dry, and I ran out the rrest of the set. <font color="blue"> Shows me that you can play better than you think. </font color> <hr /></blockquote> I think this illustrates some of the different levels of pool. Yes, I have enough game in me to break and run a rack. But it's not 2 or 3 racks every time. Whereas the guy who beat me the first day, it's standard fare for him. So, though my game beats most people in my town, it's dead money in a tournament like this.
[ QUOTE ]
Does it hurt? It has to. You f##ked up. You gave it away. There was no reason to lose . The other guy didnt win , you lost against yourself. Am I wrong? Everybody's been there. Its the worst loss. You will get over it.<hr /></blockquote> Oh, hell, I'm over it. I think it took me all of 4 hours to forget I ever played that final match. That's one reason I said I didn't want to talk about it. There isn't much to talk about, plain and simple. I lost. On to the next tournament.

I played a tournament on that Sunday evening and lost by making a few mistakes. As I've said on this board before, the mistakes I make today serve a purpose: they help to erase the memories of mistakes made yesterday (or yesteryear, as it may be).

Fred

Willis
10-21-2003, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>I was there all weekend, mostly by the Justis/Espirtu booth. I had a Ron Thomas Case badge on. (Thanks Ron).

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks the Thomas Case is the best tube case going (especially without It's George and Fellini not really in competition)<hr /></blockquote>Are there any other places to view/purchase Ron Thomas Cue Cases besides the Billiards Expo?

Fred Agnir
10-21-2003, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Willis:</font><hr> Are there any other places to view/purchase Ron Thomas Cue Cases besides the Billiards Expo? <hr /></blockquote>
Here's one on the net.

http://www.onthehill.net/thomas.htm

Jimmy B
10-22-2003, 02:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>
Jimmy, hope you like the hats. <hr /></blockquote>

Love the white one, the black makes it tough to see the logo, but still they are great quality and it's nice to know that we are the only 2 in the world :-) LOL Thanx CC

JB

Chris Cass
10-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Like a duck with no feet.hahahaha

Hi Barbara,

Sure wish you were there. Is the VF event nonsmoking?

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-22-2003, 02:39 AM
You've got to be kidding me. I've been trying to meet you and Connie for along time now. Do you owe me money? hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Do me a favor Qtec,

don't hold back any will ya?

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
10-22-2003, 02:47 AM
Hi Fred,

It's always a pleasure to spend time with you. I also spent sometime with Jack Justis at his booth. He's a really nice man. He showed me pictures of my case too. I asked why he stoped posting and he said he was scarred to.

He probably lurks. It's a shame to run someone like him off the board. He's a vibrant happy fellow with skills for sure.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
10-22-2003, 02:54 AM
No problemo Jimbo. The blk is my favorite. People seem to get closer to see what it's all about. Women come out of nowhere saying, "I love your hat. Do you want to go out"? I just reply, "I'm married and run away". hahahahha

Regards.

C.C.~~I only wish I could have gave them as a gift. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott Lee
10-22-2003, 04:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Is the VF event nonsmoking?

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...Sadly, NO...the VF tournaments are heavy smoking.
Seemed like ashtrays, butts, and smoke in the air everywhere you looked!

Scott ~ hates that smoke just like you do! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Chris Cass
10-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Hi Scott,

Funny thing, Spike was playing Larry Nevel on the exhibition table and it was quite a few games. I didn't see them because of tourney obligations and asked him later how he did. Well, Spike tells me, "He quit me!" I busted a gut. I said, "He quit you? Why?" Then Spike told me, "I don't know? I won a game and he quit me." Well, I couldn't stop laughing. Larry has been extremely nice to me asking how I was doing and if I was still in it? That was at the Open in VA.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

Barbara
10-22-2003, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Is the VF event nonsmoking?

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...Sadly, NO...the VF tournaments are heavy smoking.
Seemed like ashtrays, butts, and smoke in the air everywhere you looked!

Scott ~ hates that smoke just like you do! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Oh yeah? You think YOU hate it, I'm going to be subjected to it for 4 days now at 16-18 hours at a time!

Barbara~~~looking to buy some pure oxygen...

hemicudas
10-22-2003, 06:45 PM
OK, I give, who is this guy that won the tournament?

Bob
10-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Hello All,

Glad you enjoyed the event!

Regarding the smoke: The control panel went out on the air conditioning unit of the Mega Center. We spent the majority of the event trying to get the resort to fix this problem. It was very smokey and made it uncomfortable for many people to play. They kept assuring me that the problem would be fixed, but all they managed to do was turn on the fans which sucked all the smoke out and then made the center cold. We insisted that they keep a maintenance person on call but to no avail.
If we use this facility again next year, the problem will be fixed.

Hope to see you all at our next event, www.windycityopen.org (http://www.windycityopen.org) January 8~11, 2004. $40,000 in Cash payouts!

Wally_in_Cincy
10-23-2003, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hemicudas:</font><hr> OK, I give, who is this guy that won the tournament? <hr /></blockquote>

Are you talking about Jeff Sargeant?
====================================
Menís 8-Ball Results:

1st Jeff Sergent $3,500

2nd Jason Kirkwood $2,000

3rd Scott Tollefson $1,000

4th Eric Durbin $800

5th/6th Miles Geringer, Lee Heuwagen $600

7th/8th Steve Hayes, Dave Coles $500

9th/12th Adam Smith, Arnesto Contreras, Jamie Pluta, Scott Herbeck $380

13th/16th Jeff Jones, Steve Hayes, Ike Runnels, Stan Tourangeau $275

17th/24th Tony Zierman, Troy Miley, Rory Hendrickson, Tom Spencer, Duncan Kaufman, Jeff Abernathy, Jamie Wilson, Mike Bandy $175

Willis
10-23-2003, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Willis:</font><hr> Are there any other places to view/purchase Ron Thomas Cue Cases besides the Billiards Expo? <hr /></blockquote>
Here's one on the net.

http://www.onthehill.net/thomas.htm<hr /></blockquote>www.onthehill.net no longer carries Thomas Cases /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is there a way to order from Ron directly?

rukiddingme
10-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Despite the smoke it was a good event.
It was great seeing the Cass clan and meeting other CCB'ers.
I think I picked up a Ron Howard business card and will post info once I find it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ruk

rukiddingme
10-23-2003, 08:44 AM
I meant info regarding the Thomas cases...man I think I need to drink some coffee /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ruk

Scott Lee
10-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Who is Jeff Sargeant? Oh nobody really...just one of the best "amateur" (wink wink) players in the midwest, and the country. Jeff is about as amateur as Eric Durbin! LOL

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
10-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Have I got a story for you buddy.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Perk
10-24-2003, 06:55 AM
CC,

Stories are ment to be told. Thats kinda like teasin the baby. Others might like to here some of your stories also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Well Perk,

If I told this one I might go to jail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Perk
10-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Alright, your off the hook...how bout another story regarding your midwest scene. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers, Glad to see ya around and healthy again!