PDA

View Full Version : Road crews: how do they operate?

Leviathan
10-20-2003, 07:41 AM
Recently, I've run across traveling groups of five or six players in their late teens or twenties and a road boss who backs them quietly. They don't tell people that they're working together. The outfits I've seen were working local tournaments for prize money, Calcutta money, and side action. Is this kind of arrangement common nowadays? What's this kind of arrangement called, and how does it operate?

DM

Popcorn
10-20-2003, 08:00 AM
They could not make enough money to buy a hot dog in most cases. How much money could be won, that could support 4 or 5 players + a backer taking a cut on the road. Good players can enter atournament with a plan of just pooling whatever money they win and spliting it. Once cut up, it still may not amount to much.

UWPoolGod
10-20-2003, 11:32 AM
I saw a group of 3 Mexicans and a backer come up from California to Seattle for some action. But they left with their pockets enptier the first night but they did well the 2nd night. But like you said it probably wasn't a whole lot to spread around.

Four years ago two of my friends and I two weeks in a row agreed to split our winnings in a tourney. After I finished 2nd two weeks in a row and them out of the money both times and having to divy up my portions I said that was it. Never again.