PDA

View Full Version : New one during tourney play...

UWPoolGod
10-20-2003, 11:11 AM
I was playing at our annual alumni/undergrad tournay at U. of Washington this weekend and one of my friends I hadn't played in a while was telling me about a match he watched earlier in the week at a local poolhall during a tournament. Here is the scenario...

..a very good player is hooked by a lucky safe. The Safer turns his back to the table and is chatting with someone next to the table. The good player (maybe miffed by the conversation or needing a smoke sits down to ponder his shot...or on purpose). The chatty Safer sees his opponent sitting, walks to the table and takes the shot which the good player was supposed to take. The good player calls foul and takes ball in hand for the safer shooting his shot and preceded to run the rack.

What are your thoughts on this?

BTW: I won the alumni tourney after losing 2nd round to an undergrad and destroying everyone though the losers bracket until I got back to the finals. Then I beat an old friend on point two sets to retain the title for the last 5 years going back to undergrad days.

CrispyFish
10-20-2003, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr>What are your thoughts on this?<hr /></blockquote>
This is a tough one.

1. The safer should have kept his eye on the game.
2. Since he didn't see a shot, he should have asked if one was made before shooting (especially since the balls were laying exactly as he left them).
3. If the shooter gave any indication that his turn was complete, he basically tricked the safer into a foul, which is poor form in my book.
4. I think it is always the proper thing to do to notify your opponent if he's about to commit a foul, such as shooting on the wrong ball. This has been done for me, and I plan to do the same for my opponents, should they ever stoop to my level of stupidity. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

To me, this is one of those "you had to be there" situations... without seeing the full interaction of the players, it's hard to say whether the guy was tricked or just jumped on the shot.

-CF

UWPoolGod
10-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Yeah since I have seen the player in question and the way he is, I would say he did it on purpose. Poor form or not he is a dirty/angry player and I would expect nothing less from him. Like you said the Safer should have been watching the table and it is his own fault for not eyeing the match.

pooltchr
10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
If I have to leave the table or turn my attention away, I will always ask upon returning "My shot?" or "is that what you left me?". Saves a lot of problems

Rod
10-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Here is my take on the matter. I may not make the most loved player for this, but here goes. The lucky leave, then turning his back, and having mouth run-on with who knows who, he deserves to have fouled. He didn't even recognise the ball had not been moved? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif LOOSER

I think an attempt to tell someone is in order, but there are exceptions. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

UWPoolGod
10-20-2003, 11:53 AM
I don't know the absolute specifics, but I would gather that the Safer (not a good player)...probably missed his shot by hitting hard...threw his arms up and turned away from the table before the balls stopped rolling. Still any player who doesn't fully watch the table and concntrate will probably not win the touney anyways

RedHell
10-20-2003, 12:43 PM
I would have called the TD, if I was the safer, and would have ask for a unsportmanlike conduct foul. Explaining that he got up and went back in his seat and let me take a shot out of turn unpurposely to get the foul....

RedHell
10-20-2003, 12:46 PM
It kinda reminds me of the old trick, where in a game with foul on the cue ball only, a shooter moves a ball on the table and asks his opponent if he want to move it back. The opponents says "yeah sure, move it back". And when the shooter move the ball back, he call fouls as it is stated in the rulebook that if the shooter moves the ball back himself it is a foul !!!

CrispyFish
10-20-2003, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> It kinda reminds me of the old trick, where in a game with foul on the cue ball only, a shooter moves a ball on the table and asks his opponent if he want to move it back. The opponents says "yeah sure, move it back". And when the shooter move the ball back, he call fouls as it is stated in the rulebook that if the shooter moves the ball back himself it is a foul !!! <hr /></blockquote>
I constantly boggles my mind that people can be such jerks. If you want a trophy (or money, or whatever) so bad, learn the frickin' game and earn it fair and square!!!

-CF &lt;~~~ hopeless idealist.