PDA

View Full Version : Should Barry Bonds HR record have an asterisk on

Cueless Joey
10-20-2003, 11:39 AM
it?
Steroids???? Anyone, anyone?
Of course, McGwire did roids too. Nasty zits on his neck.
Roger Maris should file a protest. Oh wait, he's dead.

Kato
10-20-2003, 12:00 PM
No.

Kato

dg-in-centralpa
10-20-2003, 03:15 PM
On one hand yes because it took him more games than McGuire, but then again he still did it. Didn't it take Hank Aaron more seasons than Babe Ruth? Again, he still did it though.

DG - thinks Sosa will break Aarons' or Bonds record for the most homeruns

Ralph S.
10-21-2003, 04:03 AM
I am very much in agreement with you dg.

TomBrooklyn
10-21-2003, 07:16 AM
Approximately two years ago, an article in Sports Illustrated about steriod use in baseball quoted some players who admitted that steriod use in baseball is rampant. They estimated that about half the players are on one form or another of the juice. Much of the illegal stuff is purchased in Mexico where it is legal and smuggled into the USA.

TomBk

Singlemalt
10-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Absolutely should. When you see a man his age make the kind of dramatic changes in muscle growth over that short of a period of time, it can be only one reason. He was growing muscle at a rate of a 20 year old at its peak.

When someone "cleanly" trains, eats right, gets plenty of sleep, takes "legal" supplements, etc. then in the best case they will gain 10 lbs of muscle in a year. That is also based on 12 months of consistent hard core training.

My guess would be that the only "hard core" training most players would be doing is in the off season as the demands of the MLB schedule would make it more difficult.

Take a look at the HR numbers this year since all the talk of steroid testing has taken place and the latest labor agreement.

#### leonard
10-21-2003, 08:10 AM
It is nice to be posting again, as someone who is only 90 miles from Cooperstown, I can say seeing Babe Ruths 54 oz bat made me a beliver that he was from another planet. He wasn't on steroids he came on Asteroids.####

Tom_In_Cincy
10-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Asterisk?
Or just a note, stating that it was a longer season, played in a ball park that was built with a short Right Field (very much to Bonds delight), that Bonds was being pitched to by pitchers that would have never made it to the majors in 1927 when there were only 8 teams in the AL and Ruth would only see 7 different pitching staffs. (Same as Roger Maris, only 8 teams in AL in 1961)

Lots of differences, NO Denver MILE high stadium.... No SF Giants wind blown stadium, NO West coast teams.. KC As. were the furthest west any AL team traveled back then.

Asterisk? maybe.. but how about a book of differences.. ?

Barry, Al, Roger, Ruth, Arron and Sammy all great home run hitters. NO doubt about it.

nAz
10-21-2003, 11:30 PM
I'm with Tom C on this one. there should also be a comment on the records that Bernie williams has now to, guess which ones?

wolfdancer
10-23-2003, 05:49 PM
There was a great article in today's Chron. Steve Srevens, under the supervision of a doctor, took performance enhancing drugs for 8 months. He's 48, and was training for a 761 mile amateur cycling race.. his story was printed in the Nov issue of Outside mag.Stevens has competed in cross-country skiing, cycling, and triathlons. the drugs for the trial period cost $7500, and that was at bargain rates.
His regimen consisted of:
Human growth hormone, HGH, prescribed for AIDS patients, whose body tissue is withering, and for people whose growth has been stunted.
It can rejunenate muscle, and skin tone, improve vision, and generally turn back the clock
Erythropoietin, EPO, the endurance drug. It generates more oxygen- carrying red-blood cells
Steroids..increases muscle mass and speeds workout recovery time
Testerone....what seperates the men from the boys, or girls
also a muscle enhancer.
There are known risks with all except HGH, which has not been studied long enough.
Stevens dosages were so low that fellow dopers on the web posted "why don't you just take aspirin", and "girlie boy"
BUT, they worked..his vision improved dramatically,from the HGH..he rode a 200 mi race after only 2 months with no pain or fatigue
He gained 12 pounds, while reducing body-fat % from 10 to 6.5...and not lifting weights
"I felt like I'd grabbed onto a car travelling at 60mph..His only side effect was some some noticable aggression.
He also tried modafinil (ala Kelly White)..it kept him alert without the negative side effects of amphetamines.
After discontinuing the PED'd, his vision went back to normal
He'd continue taking HGH if it were less expensive...
So shuld Barry Bonds and all these power hitting infeilders have an asterisk alongside their records...NO
but maybe a caduceus