PDA

View Full Version : What are CNC inlay machines limits?

UWPoolGod
10-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Are there any limits to the shapes the CNC machine can make? Is it just up to the imagination of the maker and how much he wants to program it? Most I see are crosses/diamonds/squares(windows)/floating points/circles.

Popcorn
10-20-2003, 01:19 PM
It is infinite, but most cue makers don't seem to have much imagination. The primary limits are the fact that you are milling such a small cylinder. If the inlay is to be a flat bottom inlay you are pretty limited. It is possible to cut a mortis that follows the circumference of the cue and cut an inlay to match. This would let you make an inlay the size of 1/2 circumference of the cue. I think Thomas Wayne made some inlays like that. The ability to build a cue does not mean the machinist has any artistic ability. Probably why you see so many cuemakers that just copy what they have seen other cuemakers do.

daviddjmp
10-20-2003, 07:02 PM
I agree. But, some cuemakers are indeed artists. When I spoke with Rich Chudy, he took me into his shop and he showed me a CNC machine that he built himself from scratch. It is connected to a CAD program on a computer and some of his new designs (and older ones) are just phenomenal.

Fred Agnir
10-21-2003, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Are there any limits to the shapes the CNC machine can make? Is it just up to the imagination of the maker and how much he wants to program it? Most I see are crosses/diamonds/squares(windows)/floating points/circles. <hr /></blockquote>I think you really need to find your way to the trade shows that have cuemakers in them.

Fred

fast_eddie_B
10-25-2003, 07:14 AM
the main difference i see between a cnc'd cue and one made by hand is in the points. a cnc'd cue's points will never come to a sharp point, they will always be round.

Rich R.
10-25-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fast_eddie_B:</font><hr> the main difference i see between a cnc'd cue and one made by hand is in the points. a cnc'd cue's points will never come to a sharp point, they will always be round. <hr /></blockquote>
This is very true, however, many cue makers will use the cnc machine for the initial cuts, then finish the points by hand. This is still much faster than doing all the cutting by hand.