PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Valley Coin-Op Cushions

cycopath
10-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Ok, we've got the slate done and installed,we are now down to the point of recovering the cushions on our 7ft Valley table. The felt we are using is a little thicker than the stuff that came off. The new stuff has a backing to it that kinda makes it difficult to fold over onto itself behind the shims.
Is there a secret to doing this right?

Also, we talked about maybe double shimming the cushions. But my dad doesn't want to double shim the side pockets. Do yoiu think that would be a bad idea to double shim all the corners and leave the side pockets single shimmed?

Chris Cass
10-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi cycopath,

IMO you should go with what your Dad says. Nothing wrong with shimming but the shims are tricky to install for first timers. Another idea would be to get those pocket tightners. They come in a set of 4 just for the corners. Then, you can put them in or out when you want. Great for practice and around $35.00. for the set. JAT

Now, back to shimming. The hard part is to keeping the corners pointed. You can use epoxy to keep them on and sand down any excess when dry. Some use a staple gun but I don't care for that idea. Stetching the cloth is a important process. The corners should not have a visable fold. The side pockets will.

It's a tedious process and personally I would take them to a pool hall that has a table guy and pay them to put on the cloth. They're experienced and will do them right. Ask to watch them do it and you can learn the correct way to do it. It'll take you a few times to learn it for the future but a home table cloth will last you along time and you'll forget how, believe me.

The money you'll spend on the rails to be done will be in your best interest. The headaches you save from watching them come loose will be worth the doe. Also, some use staples on bar rag rails. Not good, after time the wood will weaken, IMHO. Using glue will also build up too but out of the two, I would use glue.

They're many people here that know their stuff better than I but I felt like writing. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mark wilson
10-21-2003, 07:27 AM
The backing on the cloth is removed for covering the rails. Separate the cloth and the backing at the edge and pull hard.

cycopath
10-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks, that helps greatly.