PDA

View Full Version : marble slate

04-13-2002, 10:04 PM
I am importing tables from Turkey and they have marbles slate. Has any one ever played on marble?

Rod
04-14-2002, 03:53 AM
mrdealer, yes I have it was a bar table. I don't remember the name but a guy here in town might. It was a very old table and a more solid sound. I do question if it might be easier to get a stress crack. I also know an owner of a large glass company that wanted to make me a slate out of 3/4" tempered glass. He said that it would never break. We never did that but it was interesting. Personally I'm sure the glass would be the ultimate as a solid surface. The only question I have is, would the glass sweat and cause a wet surface? BTW this was for a bar table.

stickman
04-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Rod, I would have been afraid of the glass chipping, the way balls bounce on the table sometimes. I've seen a cueball jump three foot in the air on a break and come back down on the table. (not by me) Maybe it wouldn't happen, but that's what I would be concerned about.

stickman~~~~~Has rock chips in his windshield.

Rod
04-14-2002, 10:54 PM
This would be tempered glass. He said no way would balls bouncing ect have any effect on the glass. I know one thing, it sure would be heavy!

04-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Marble is to hard, the balls bounce and you can hear the balls roll up the table.

Rod
04-15-2002, 04:15 PM
I think it depends on the cloth. I played on a bar table years ago with heavy cloth. Heck it could have been that 21 oz stuff or heavier. Personally I'd rather stick with a regular slate table. That was the only one I played on with marble. I think marble might be prone to crack easier.

04-15-2002, 04:31 PM
How about granite? It's what they use for the wall in Jai-Alai. The ball in Jai-Alai is harder than a golf ball, and travels up to 180 MPH. Granite is used because pretty much nothing else (without going WAY crazy for how much it costs) will stand up to the abuse.