PDA

View Full Version : Casual players on the decline?

NH_Steve
10-21-2003, 07:41 PM
I'm not a room owner, but I get around to several Boston area pool rooms regularly, and it seems to me that all of them are seeing a marked drop in casual players this fall. Usually by now, late teens and twenty-somethings are crowding back into these rooms every night. I'm not seeing many of those patrons. Oh, the players are there -- or at least in and out -- but the staple clientelle of young (to me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) people are not there in very big numbers. It it just a late start this fall, or are younger casual players heading in a significant different direction?

Chris in NC
10-21-2003, 10:37 PM
If you're basing this hunch solely on Boston poolrooms in the past month or two, you must take in to account the Red Sox. While they were still in it, (late regular season and post season) I'm sure alot of young Bostonians were either at the games, at home watching on TV or in more traditional bars watching the games on TV. Since the Sox recent elimination, many are likely still in a funk. Hopefullly things will return to normalcy in the Boston poolrooms soon. Just curious if a similar downturn in poolroom clientele has been noticed in Chicago over the past month or so?

stickman
10-21-2003, 10:49 PM
The economy is poor in my area. (High unemployment, low wages, layoffs, etc.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm sure this has an effect on the numbers in the pool room, as well as most other businesses.

Perk
10-22-2003, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> The economy is poor in my area. (High unemployment, low wages, layoffs, etc.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm sure this has an effect on the numbers in the pool room, as well as most other businesses. <hr /></blockquote>

Isnt this the time that gambling is usually at a high point? Seems like thats the way it was in the past. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pooltchr
10-22-2003, 07:15 AM
I think the post was referring to the casual players. These aren't the ones out gambling in most cases. They are the friends, groups, dates that for the most part play with house cues, aren't too concerned with squirt, deflection, or whether a layer tip gives better draw. They are just casual players out for a social event. I would think that the Red Sox would have been quite strong competition for those social outings. The serious players will always be there, and the casual ones will always return.

Fred Agnir
10-22-2003, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> If you're basing this hunch solely on Boston poolrooms in the past month or two, you must take in to account the Red Sox. While they were still in it, (late regular season and post season) I'm sure alot of young Bostonians were either at the games, at home watching on TV or in more traditional bars watching the games on TV. Since the Sox recent elimination, many are likely still in a funk. Hopefullly things will return to normalcy in the Boston poolrooms soon. Just curious if a similar downturn in poolroom clientele has been noticed in Chicago over the past month or so? <hr /></blockquote> It might be an odd idea, but I think you're right on the money. I was in a Boston Billiards in Worcester MA during game 2 of the Sox/Yankees series. Nobody was playing, but there was certainly a crowd fixed on the televesion sets.

Fred

buddha162
10-22-2003, 12:02 PM
My home room in Orangeburg NY has suffered significantly with the 18-25 ball banger crowd. There's a little spurt of comers right after the game's over, but on weeknights they don't stay late. The owner is a huge yankees fan, so I guess the experience is bitter-sweet for him.

Roger

PoolFan
10-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Typically, in the Boston and Providence area pool hits it's peak between November and April. October is still a little early to determine any type of decline.