PDA

View Full Version : Steve "The Cookie Monster" Cook

Dave in Ohio
10-21-2003, 07:42 PM
For all of you that knew Steve, he has pass away at the age of 56 today. His Dad went in to wake him up about 10 am and he was gone.
He will be missed and remembered as a Legend
Dave in Ohio

Tom_In_Cincy
10-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Last time I played at the Dayton's Airways Monday nite tournament, it was The Cookie Monster that knocked me out.

Great player, very nice man. Steve Cook,
"May he rest in Peace".

cueball1950
10-21-2003, 09:35 PM
I only had the "PLEASURE" of meeting Steve a couple of times. Hell of a nice guy. May the Good Lord Watch over him and may he forever sleep in PEACE..................mike

cheesemouse
10-21-2003, 09:53 PM
May the pool gods be you with you Steve...You were a hell of player and a real nice guy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ralph S.
10-22-2003, 02:04 AM
Wow, what a shocker. I am very near the Indiana-Ohio state lines, so it was common place to see him at larger local events. He could definitely play, that is for certain. He will be sorely missed. Don't feel bad Tom, I lost to him also. More than once I might add. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

NH_Steve
10-22-2003, 05:29 AM
Wow, he was one of my favorite One Pocket players of all time. A very creative player that always seemed to be able to make the most out of tough situations. For being only 56 years old, he has been a champion for a long time -- having been a very talented young man to become one of the Johnson City All Around champions back in the 60's, and also winning at least one of Grady's 'Legends of One Pocket' tournaments in the 90's.

He will surely always be a true Legend of One Pocket to me.

NH_Steve
10-22-2003, 05:32 AM
Dave, would you be able to provide an address for sending a card?
Thanks

Voodoo Daddy
10-22-2003, 06:45 AM
I was a young man the first time I saw Steve, he was playing with a Rocky Tillis cue at the time. I asked him if he liked it and he said "go hit some balls with it"...now I just met him 35 seconds ago mind you. A year or so later I got the honor to play him in a Florida Tour event, where he beat me soundly!! Over the years Steve was quick to say hello even years after him moving back to Ohio from Tampa.

Steve Cook was a gentle man and a helluva a player, I'll be sad all day....

Steve Lipsky
10-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Does anyone have a URL for a picture of Mr. Cook? I think there are some pictures of him in Grady's book, but I don't have access to it right now.

Thanks,
Steve

AndyG
10-22-2003, 07:48 AM
VooDoo Daddy, I too played Steve when he was about 19. Later made a few road trips with him. That was in the mid '70s. I'll call 'Lefty' Goff later today and inform him of Steve's death. He was Steve's mentor when Steve was growing up and learning one-pocket.

Steve was a great guy and he'll be sorely missed.
AndyG

JoePickens
10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
I walked into Play Time Billards in Dayton today and heard about Steve. What a shock!!! He will be missed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dave in Ohio
10-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Steve, I believe Pool and Billiards mag. did a story about Johnston City, and The Cookie Monster was in there. It has been awhile ago, but I'm thinking late last year or maybe early this year. I don't know if I helped you or not???

Q-guy
10-22-2003, 05:14 PM
I don't think Steve ever won Johnston City, he did win another big tournament run by the Jansco's. That was the Stardust Open around 71 or 72. He first showed up in Johnston City though with a backer as a complete unknown maybe in his teens and busted a lot of players winning a large sum on money after hours. I am not even sure he played in the main tournament. I knew Steve for many years he often came in my poolroom. We played quite a few times, but it was a better deal betting on him and not against him. We went on the road a few times and made a couple of bucks. I would say he was one of the nicest players and people I ever met around pool. It can be a pretty corrupting environment and except for a little drinking problem, he was a pretty straight guy. He was honest and trustworthy. I think he told me he had been a teacher at one time but I am not sure. I used to like to take pictures and I am sure I have some pictures of him when he was pretty young. I will look tonight and post them. I have an accu-stat video of him on now as I am writing this. He was a terrific player and played all games top notch. I had not seen him in several years. Very sad to hear.

NH_Steve
10-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Right you are. It was at the Stardust in 1970 that he broke through to win the all around. His first entry in those tournaments was apparently in 1967, so he would have missed the Johnson City tournaments by a couple of years (I'm thinking the last Johnson City tourney was in '65 -- but could be wrong).

Q-guy
10-22-2003, 09:44 PM
The first Johnston City tournamnt was in 61 and the last was I believe in 72, Danny DiLiberto was the last all around champion. When Steve won the Stardust open something happened to delay the tournament like a week or 10 days, a hotel strike or something. When the tournament finally kicked off, a lot of players had already left town and it was a small field. Steve still won it though and that is what counts.

#### leonard
10-24-2003, 09:05 AM
I had played in a few tourneys with Steve Cook when he was just starting. He was a great guy/player. I had a local friend that after graduating Wharton School of Business management started working in the same Ohio Town where Steve was from. He would keep me up with Steves playing.####

#### leonard
10-24-2003, 09:09 AM
I played in a Worlds Championship Qualifer with Lefty in the 60s at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC. Say hello to Lefty for me I was the friend of Joe Canton who he knew well. ####

Scott Lee
10-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Dick...That would be Lima, OH! There was another champion poolplayer from Lima, by the name of Ted Elias. Did you know him?

Scott

#### leonard
10-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Scot I had heard of Ted but had never met him.####

AndyG
11-03-2003, 06:58 AM
Hi ####, Good to see you back on the board. I'm sorry i took so long to reply, but I've been doing TD duties for thre Emerald Coast 9 Ball Classic this last week.

I talked to Lefty last week when I heard of Steve's death. He hadn't heard at the time, but someone else called him just after I did.

I'll see him in two weeks, and I'll pass along your 'hello'.

AndyG