PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup - Is It Worth Going??

Chris in NC
10-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Is it worth the time and expense to fly from NC to Las Vegas (for 4-5 days) to see the Mosconi Cup this coming December 18-21? Now is the time we must decide if we are to order our tickets, before they sell out. Have any of you ever attended the Mosconi Cup in London? If so, how was it and would you go again if you had the chance?

We've kept up with this event (on the internet) as it has unfolded for many years, and I've always told my son if it ever came to this country that we'd be there to see it! However, I was hoping for someplace a bit closer like NY.

On another note I see they've announced the teams - story at azbilliards. Hard to believe Corey Deuel has gone from the best player in the world just 2 years ago to being snubbed from the 6 man U.S. team. He just simply hasn't performed and doesn't really deserve a spot.

On the Europe side, I'm surprised they've gone with Davis, Chamat and Vandenberg among their 6. If I was fielding a team of Europeans, I would take Nels Feijen over any of those three. And Fabio Petroni's showing at the U.S. Open (T5) with wins over Reyes and Strickland among others you'd think would have earned him a spot on the European team as well, but I guess not. Lastly, Tony Drago's recent great showings should have merited him some consideration.

Anyone here planning to go?

jjinfla
10-22-2003, 05:52 AM
I believe Cory isn't going because the selection committee snubbed him. Who is the selection committee? The UPA. Another great move for pool. And the only reason they didn't snub Earl is because Matchroom Sports gets to select a player and they made damn sure Earl would be there.

Sorry, but I will not go to any CW events anymore.

cheesemouse
10-22-2003, 06:24 AM
Chris,

I think it would be a great learning experience for both you and your son. These guys from England (the promotors) seem to have come up with a formula that is very stimulating to the players and the fans. They are doing something right. I think you being in the business of pool could maybe pick up a few good ideas from these people that may help you promote pool in your area...I hear it is electric in the setup they have in England and as I understand it they have moved the whole kit and cabootal to Vegas...it should be a super USA...USA...USA...USA...chant opportunity. If I could go to any event this one sounds like the most fun for the fans.

Vicki
10-22-2003, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>
Sorry, but I will not go to any CW events anymore.
<hr /></blockquote>

Just to be fair...I know you know this already, Jake, but not everyone does; this is a Matchroom Sports event... not a UPA or CW or Dragon thing. It's my understanding that Matchroom defers to the BCA for team member selections and that the BCA has decided to use UPA stats. Matchroom has a beef with the UPA method for ranking players and probably thinks their political grudges keep the most deserving players out of contention for certain events, but tries to defer to the local governing bodies for each world region to decide which players get to go to what events. With regard to Earl... Matchroom knows that he is a huge draw for spectators, European and American, and they will override anyone's decision to exclude him from any of their events. I think at one time Matchroom was trying to establish their own points or rankings for American players in order to avoid the problems with the UPA's system.

I refuse to support any CW event but I have to say, I believe Matchroom is the world's best bet for getting more exposure for pool and they deserve our support. I am grateful for their bringing the Mosconi Cup to America when it's already been so successful in Europe. It's a gamble for them and I'd hate it if they were less successful in America than they could have been if they'd stayed put. I really believe we should support their events.

Vicki

Wally_in_Cincy
10-22-2003, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vicki:</font><hr>

...Matchroom has a beef with the UPA method for ranking players and probably thinks their political grudges keep the most deserving players out of contention for certain events, ...<hr /></blockquote>

Barry Hearn was interviewed in BD and he sounded like he was pissed off at the overall quality of players that showed up for the WPC from the states. IIRC he insinuated, as you stated, they were considering another selection method.

I hope the Mosconi Cup is well attended. I wouldn't be surprised to see more Europeans there than Americans.

I can't go.
Ain't got the dough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nostroke
10-22-2003, 01:32 PM
I agree Wally-Unless there is an amateur tournament(s)in the same building, Im not optimistic about the attendance.I dont think they can tranfer the excitement across the big pond but i hope they can.

The thought of a USA chant .... I think it's real obnoxious to rub our relatively few victories in the face of our opponents. What ever happened to "cool"? I loved Muhammed Ali, but damn, he made it ok to be a poor winner!

snipershot
10-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Hi Chris, although I've never been to the Mosconi Cup in person from the looks of it I'd recomend going in a heartbeat, from what I've seen Matchroom has took the entertainment level of pool tourneys to the next level. We have no idea how long the Mosconi Cup will be here in America where it is obviously much more affordable than traveling to Europe, I think any true pool fan that has the dough to go and see a pool event of their choice would have to have the Mosconi Cup at the top of their list especially with it being in America for the first time ever.

JMO,

Sniper....wished he had the dough to go /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-22-2003, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> I agree Wally-Unless there is an amateur tournament(s)in the same building, Im not optimistic about the attendance.I dont think they can tranfer the excitement across the big pond but i hope they can.... <hr /></blockquote>

On second thought, they only need about 300 for a good crowd. I think that's the capacity of the arena in Cardiff. You would think they could get a 100 or so from Cali. It's a much easier trip than coming from the East /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Throw in a 100 Euros and you have the beginnings of a good crowd.

They should have done it in NYC or Philly or DC area. A much greater concentration of poolplayers there. And the spectators would not have to fly to attend.

Why in the world did Luke Riches not run this by the CCB before the decision was made. When will they ever learn? LOL

jjinfla
10-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Vicki,

I think Matchroom will do quite well in Vegas. I have no doubt that they will fill the 300 seats there. It is just too bad there is so much politics involved. But you are right, Matchroom is the best thing going for pool right now, and both the players and the fans should support them. So okay, I won't go to Vegas but I will buy their Videos and just fast forward through CW's match, unless he loses.

Without a doubt it was a huge mistake to send Ferguson to the WPC. He isn't ready to play at that level. Any road player can give him the 7. I have seen him lose to the "A" players at Fat Cats so I surely don't consider him to be one of the "best" players that the USA could send there. Was he the best that the UPA has in their fold? Or maybe he was the only one who could afford the expense of going there.

Maybe there can be some sort of competition to select the top 6 players to represent the USA in the Mosconi Cup or the WPA. Say invite a dozen top players and have a round robin tournament to select the top 6. Where each player plays every other player 6 times with alternating breaks and the 6 players with the most wins get selected.

Is there a payday for the players in the Mosconi Cup? Other than the trophy and the status/recognition they receive I have not heard of them getting paid.

I think the allure of Vegas along with the relatively inexpensive hotels makes that an ideal site. Maybe in the future they will be able to hook up with the Seminoles and their new arena in Tampa. Allen Hopkins said he can go out his back door, board a plane, and get there faster than I can get there driving. (Almost). But it is readily accessible from anywhere.

Jake

Vagabond
10-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Hey Chris,
U shoud not have the second thoughts,GO!
Vagabond

Brady_Behrman
10-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Not only should you go but you should take your friends. I believe that the more the merrier, maybe the mosconi will frequent the states on a regular basis..

If YOU CAN GO, GO! I am sure you'll love it!

Thanks
Brady

pooldaddy9
10-22-2003, 08:11 PM
I can't go.
Ain't got the dough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Me too, THAT'S the only thing stopping me. Would if I could!!!

L.S. Dennis
10-22-2003, 10:30 PM
I think it will be a great show. And to those who doubt, Vegas is really the only place in the states for this thing.
If you've never been to vegas, well you're in for a lot of fun in never never land. Don't forget to check out The Cue Club while you're there. Lots of action for those with a little extra time on their hands!

Rod
10-23-2003, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it worth the time and expense to fly from NC to Las Vegas (for 4-5 days) to see the Mosconi Cup this coming December 18-21? Now is the time we must decide if we are to order our tickets, before they sell out.<hr /></blockquote>

I think you answered your own question, if in fact they sell out as you believe they will.

[ QUOTE ]
I've always told my son if it ever came to this country that we'd be there to see it! However, I was hoping for someplace a bit closer like NY.
<hr /></blockquote>

Well it didn't happen, I'd like the US Open in Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
On another note I see they've announced the teams - story at azbilliards. Hard to believe Corey Deuel has gone from the best player in the world just 2 years ago to being snubbed from the 6 man U.S. team. <hr /></blockquote>

It's not hard to believe, once some reach the top, they, have the tendacy to, lets just say relax.

Take a trip if the money is right and go there. I don't make $350 a day as Bolo suggested so I may not be there. No reply as usual is necessary.

Rod

Vicki
10-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Jake,

The UPA has made more mistakes than just their player selection for the WPA. I won't take anything away from Bill Ferguson - he's a great player and a professional, but there were several other deserving players that would have been selected before Bill had there been a proper way of determining the players. I am sure Bill Ferguson did his best to represent the US. I'd hate it if he ever read the forums. I'd hate reading them if I were in his shoes.

I don't know about the prize fund or payment of the players for the Mosconi Cup but I am sure they are compensated for showing up and that their expenses are paid.

I know the Seminole Tribe is very interested in pool and as far as I know they are doing some great things to support the industry and players. They are sponsoring some great players and putting a lot of money into the sport. We all should be finding out how we can support their efforts. I am sure they are a huge part of our future.

I don't think Mike or I will be attending the Mosconi Cup this year either. We just bought a house (in Poolesville, of all places) and he is starting the process of moving his shop from NJ to MD. I'd give my favorite playing cue to be able to go.

I have no beef with you fast-forwarding through Charlie's matches if you buy the video. He is hands down the most irritating player to watch. All that twitching and up and down and stokestrokestroke and up and down and strokestrokestroke and twitching again and repeat... and then there's the matter of the scratching of the chalk on the tip of the cue. I couldn't make a more irritating noise in a horror movie sound effects lab.

Like you, I have every confidence that the Mosconi Cup will sell out. I hope the event is successful for Matchroom and the players and that everyone who attends has a great time. That's what it's all about!

V

L.S. Dennis
10-23-2003, 08:55 AM
I think the U.S. Open in Vegas would be an excellent idea!!!

Nostroke
10-23-2003, 09:19 AM
Though i dont watch that many of his matches, it is no BS that CW has been playing much faster lately. In fact he has easily been playing quicker than 65% of the players out there.

As far as squeaking the chalk ( Hey everybody, look at me!)Nothing is more annoying. A Sueaker will always pound his cigarettes to "pack" them for about an hour also.

snipershot
10-23-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>

Is there a payday for the players in the Mosconi Cup? Other than the trophy and the status/recognition they receive I have not heard of them getting paid.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Jake, I believe last year each 6 man team received $8000 and had their trip to the UK payed for. This is just what I heard on another forum from a good source quite a while back. I have no idea what this years rewards will be, good question for Luke Riches though.

thecardman
10-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi folks

To answer the question that starts this thread - YES!!!!!!! GET A TICKET AND GO!!!!!

Although, due to my work commitments here in Scotland(Christmas is one of my busiest times) I have never been able to travel down to London to watch a Mosconi Cup live - /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif - I have watched EVERY SINGLE ONE that has been played on TV (that's 9 so far). Personally, if I had the chance, I would take a ticket yesterday! The atmosphere never fails to come through the TV screen and into the living room so goodness knows what it is like live.

I hope that the fact that there will be more American fans there than in previous years will make the atmosphere even better this year. From what I have read on the Matchroom Forum and Mosconi Cup website, Matchroom are shipping their own arena to Vegas - the same one that has been used in the past in London.

Roll on December!

Now, time to become really popular on this board - EUROPE! EUROPE! EUROPE!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

L.S. Dennis
10-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Earl should do well in this one. He will be in his element, and he always said "I play good in the desert!"

Jimmy B
10-24-2003, 03:27 AM
I think if you even have to think about going to Vegas you haven't ever been there. I don't care if you're going to watch a tiddley wink tournament you'll have fun in Vegas, it's one of America's treasures. I'd go to Vegas just to watch some paint drying, pool is just a plus. I love that town /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif JB

PS how the hell do you spell tidly wink??