PDA

View Full Version : Simonis Colors for Poolroom Tables?

Chris in NC
10-21-2003, 11:34 PM
The time has come again to start thinking about re-covering our pool tables in our room. The type of cloth is not in question - Simonis. However, as much as I love the Simonis green color which we've used for the past 4 years, I'm thinking it might be time for a little change. I definently want to go with a color that can be used with Master blue chalk, so we'll need to stay in the green or blue family - of which there are many different shades.

As we now have really excellent lighting, we would not be limited to staying away from a darker color, so we could go with a marine (navy) blue, dark green, or spruce (even darker green). I'm guessing however that blue master chalk marks would show up alot worse on a darker green or even more on navy blue than it now shows up on Simonis green. I'm also a little worried that burn marks, break spots (spots where players break from all the time) and break lines (from commonly used break spot locations to the head ball) may show up worse on darker colored cloth after the cloth gets worn. There is blue/green which is nice, but we've had that before the Simonis green and am looking for something different.

I'm leaning towards either the powder blue (used on the AccuStats table at the U.S. Open and in many other ESPN televised pool matches) or the much more brilliant electric blue. How are these colors on the eyes to play on, if anyone here knows?

Am I crazy to consider changing from the tried and true Simonis green in our room, and might I regret it? I'm sure I'll eventually go back to Simonis green in a year or so, but I'm thinking a different color might be a nice change for the poolroom.

The biggest drawback I see is that if we change the cloth color on the tables, it kind of locks us in to having to re-cloth all the tables at one time, and then having to do it again all at the same time down the road if we end up switching colors again. Some tables (played by the regulars) wear out and need the cloth replaced sooner than other tables, but we wouldn't have the option of re-covering them as they needed it if we're switching colors, as I'd never be caught dead (for more than a few days) having a room with tables not all the same color.

Any honest feedback / opinions on this topic would be appreciated. - Chris in NC

Rio
10-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Hi, Chris. Hope all is well with you. About cloth color: I prefer to play on lighter greens or blues. I find it easier to see the edges of the dark-colored balls against these light-colored backgrounds. It's a question of contrast.

AS

pooldaddy9
10-22-2003, 05:01 AM
GREEN <font color="green"> </font color>

stickman
10-22-2003, 05:17 AM
I much prefer the traditional green myself. I've played on Red, Beige or Tan, and Light blue and I didn't care for them. I thought the Red was really yucky. Just my personal taste. As you said yourself, I suspect that you would later return to the traditional color, and it would cause some problems with replacement schedules. If you want a change of pace, my suggestion would be to try painting the room a different color or something.

Jim

pooltchr
10-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Chris,
If you are thinking you will be changing back in a year or so, why not use this time period to do some research. Give your tables a variety, see how well the different colors hold up, and get feedback from your customers. Since they are the ones that come in frequently, you might be able to find out which they prefer. You will also get the chance to try them out for yourself. O-K, I admit it might give your room a little rainbow effect, but it's in the name of research, and you might get some valuable insight.
Just a suggestion.
Steve

SPetty
10-22-2003, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> Am I crazy to consider changing from the tried and true Simonis green in our room, and might I regret it? <hr /></blockquote>Yes. Absolutely. No doubt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ross
10-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Chris, I personally prefer the traditional green. Hate the beige or red. The blue on the accustats table at the open was not bad, but it is definitely a "cooler" color (not as in hip, but as opposed to warm) than the green.

I can see you like change though - I remember you replaced all of those Connelys (sp?)even though they were pretty nice tables.

Maybe there is some other "makeover" you could do to the room rather than changing the cloth color? Or just change the color to get it out of your system, live with the consequences, and then you can at least say you gave it a try. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Candyman
10-22-2003, 11:18 AM
I occasionally go to room with multiple color tables. There are 2 traditional green tables in the room. If 2 tables are being used, you can bet that these are the 2. To me it seems like the lighting is much more to my likeing on the green tables. The dark blue tables seem to show wear much more so than the other colors. JM2CS.

UWPoolGod
10-22-2003, 11:51 AM
When I get a table I will primarily stick with the traditional green. A friend of mine had gray simonis on his and it is alright...but you can ONLY use gray chalk on it...which doesn't stick to the tip. Then he switched to blue chalk and now has all kinds of blue marks all over the table. Stick with green.

Chris in NC
10-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Ross, when you come up to play on our Gabriel's tables (hopefully soon), you'll clearly see why we switched. Yes, the Connelly Ultimate is a fine playing table, but not without it's shortcomings - particularly as a commercial table.

I appreciate yours and others feedback as to other cloth color preferences for our or any other poolroom. Having more than one color cloth at a time is simply out of the question if for no other reason than it requiring different colors of chalks - which could absolutely not get mixed up on different tables even though I know that they would.

I'm leaning towards the powder blue Accustats US Open table color. Simonis is sending me a sample of that as well as the electric blue. I'll poll our regulars here to see which they prefer between those two and the Simonis green we currently use. - Chris in NC

Paul_Mon
10-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Chris,
I would consider the blue/green or perhaps the electric blue. It depends on the lighting and surrounding decor. The other colors are too different for my tastes. Here's a link to Simonis colors: http://www.billiardsexpress.com/bclothsimoniscenter.htm

Paul Mon

UWPoolGod
10-22-2003, 01:14 PM
We have the Electric Blue color on our 8 footer at the bar. It isn't too bad I guess. I am just a naturalist and prefer green. Balls still seem to go into the holes one after another. To me there is a little more glare from the light reflecting off the table as opposed to the green, but not bad.

pooltchr
10-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Ross,
If I'm not mistaken, those Connley's are now down in your neck of the woods. Check out the back room at Babineau's

Chris, the rainbow suggestion was just sort of an off the wall idea. Personally, I am a traditionalist. Stick with green.

Steve

Ross
10-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Chris, I agree completely with your assessment of the Gabriel's vs. the Connelly tables. It's just that most room owners would not bother to upgrade from the Connelly's for the general recreational playing public. You, on the other hand, like to do it up right and that's why you have such a nice room. That and I'm guessing you're probably a perfectionist at heart, as well! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I would love to get up there sometime to play -- I just need an excuse to make the drive to Boone. I have an idea -- why don't you convince Allison that I would be a good practice subject for some free lessons!
A man can dream, can't he ...

Brady_Behrman
10-22-2003, 07:53 PM
GREEN is the most natural color to your eyes, stick with it.

TV matches are played on the blueish/green because it shows better on TV.

Gotta love the color of GREEN!

Be careful, Stick with GREEN..IMO

ras314
10-22-2003, 08:17 PM
I suppose poolrooms have different problems than a home room. Boy, I wish we had a room of your quality some place around here.

I see no problem with different chalk color than the cloth, just makes it easier to know when it should be vaccumed. Anyway I carry my own chalk (blue), very seldom put enough on green cloth to see. Mainly because I tap excess chalk off, on my hand not the rail. And never chalk up over the table.

An aside, the only decent table in my area was recently recovered. I think the original cloth was Forstmann, had so much chalk dust under it where people break that we thought the slate was warped or something as weird. Next time it will be spruce green Simonis, which I already have on hand.

Got to agree with Stickman, red is awful, about the only thing worse is bright orange.

DoomCue
10-23-2003, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brady_Behrman:</font><hr> GREEN is the most natural color to your eyes, stick with it.

TV matches are played on the blueish/green because it shows better on TV.

Gotta love the color of GREEN!

Be careful, Stick with GREEN..IMO <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Brady, don't tell me that! I'm colorblind.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-djb

DoomCue
10-23-2003, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> *SNIP*

Yes, the Connelly Ultimate is a fine playing table, but not without it's shortcomings - particularly as a commercial table.

*SNIP*

- Chris in NC <hr /></blockquote>

Chris, I think I get to play on those Connelly tables now at Babineau's in Cary. Allison's table is TOUGH! Tell me, did you have a problem with balls bouncing back out of the pockets (not on Allison's, on the others)?

I think the biggest problem I have with the Ultimate is its lack of rail. Diamond Pros and GC IVs have fat rails (especially the Diamond, wish I still had it /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif) which have plenty of space for you to rest your hand, while the Connelly has barely adequate room (which I consider inadequate). However, the Ultimate is a good-looking piece of equipment. The downside to good-looking equipment used in a commercial sense is that any dings or damage become even more glaring. In any case, I've never played on a Gabriel, and I've heard nothing but good things about your place from a friend of mine (Bill Tarlton), so one of these days I'll make my way up there to check it out.

BTW, I'd go with the TV blue cloth. It just seems to be a "happier" color to me (course, I don't see green, so what do I know).

-djb

Brady_Behrman
10-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Me too.. I do some work for a local eye doctor and he gave me a contact that fixes colorblindness. It's a whole new world out there. It's one contact that goes on your dominant eye.

It's cool
Brady

SPetty
10-23-2003, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> ...about the only thing worse is bright orange.<hr /></blockquote>Wow! I've never (thank god) seen bright orange cloth! I've heard of pink at a place in Vegas, but I've never seen it. I have, however, played on purple. That's tough!

Wally_in_Cincy
10-23-2003, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>

Wow! I've never (thank god) seen bright orange cloth! <hr /></blockquote>

When I was a youngster (12 or so)we always played at a place called The Tangerine Room. Guess what color the cloth was /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Some friends of ours have purple, actually a "wine". It's not too bad.

Ross
10-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Doom, I played at Chris' on the Connelleys and they did bounce out balls if you hit them medium hard or harder. You could hit one straight into the center of the side pocket and it would go in, down a bit, then pop right back onto the table.

wolfdancer
10-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Chris, to paraphrase Henry Ford "you can have any color, long as it's green". When they start dyeing putting greens, purty colors, then you can consider fuchsia table cloths.
...an' here's more gripes ( from one of your other posts ) folks that empty the ball tray onto the table from any height over 1 inch....and having the tables recovered here in SF, by a mechanic wearing a logo shirt from Boone, NC...Boone???? ..who ever heer'd of that place?
Of course Ernesto did his usual great job..can't let dem "boonies" have better tables then us