Representing the U.S.:

Nick Varner (Kentucky) Non-playing captain
Johnny Archer (Georgia)
Jeremy Jones (Texas)
Rodney Morris (Hawaii)
Tony Robles (New York)
Earl Strickland (Captain)
Charlie Williams (Florida)

You can read more on this here (http://www.azbilliards.com/2000pressrelease.cfm?id=200) .

ras314
10-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Why on earth a non-playing captian and a playing captian?

dg-in-centralpa
10-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Funny to see CW on the same team as Earl. How come no Francisco, he lives in Germany for many years, even though he is Phillipino(sp).
DG

Rich R.
10-23-2003, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> How come no Francisco, he lives in Germany for many years, even though he is Phillipino(sp).
DG <hr /></blockquote>
Probably for the same reason Mika plays for the European team, but lives in New York.

They may still get some sponsorship from sources in their home countries. You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DoomCue
10-23-2003, 07:46 AM
I believe it has something to do with citizenship, if it's anything like the Olympics. I know Busty lives in Germany, but is he a German citizen? Or maybe it has something to do with so many Germans on the team already (that's doubtful, though).

I'm not sure about Mika's citizenship, either. I *believe* he was born in England, but I'm not positive on that, and was raised in Finland. Therefore, he's probably either English or Fin(nish?). In any case, I don't believe he's an American citizen, which would preclude him from playing on the American team, no matter where he lives.

This is all just conjecture based on my citizenship theory - I could be totally wrong. Anybody know for sure? Luke, you out there? What's the criteria for selection?

-djb

9 Ball Girl
10-23-2003, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Why on earth a non-playing captian and a playing captian? <hr /></blockquote>Maybe they're designated/pinch shooters? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm thinking that maybe they didn't want to exclude anyone from last year?

SPetty
10-23-2003, 08:14 AM
The web site www.mosconicup.com (http://www.mosconicup.com) might be the place to go for answers. They have their own forum over there, with pool players knowledgeable about this mosconi cup.

snipershot
10-23-2003, 03:17 PM
Some people were a little surprised to see Cory excluded from this years team. Personally I think Rodney Morris is a great pick for team USA, it will also be interesting to see how Tony Robles plays in his first Mosconi Cup.

Brent
10-26-2003, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> How come no Francisco, he lives in Germany for many years, even though he is Phillipino(sp).
DG <hr /></blockquote>
Probably for the same reason Mika plays for the European team, but lives in New York.

<hr /></blockquote>

The day Mika starts playing for the US is the day when I quit watching pro pool events like Mosconi.

tateuts
10-27-2003, 12:33 PM
So, what does everyone think of this match up? I will, of course, be rooting for US but I guess I see this as a pretty even match-up - they're all so damn good!

Chris