PDA

View Full Version : Inside Pool press release

Billy
10-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Breaking News: Press Release from "The Players Tournament I"
Posted by: editor on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:52 PM GMT

Press Release from "The Players Tournament I"
Rick Breden of Right Action Management released the following statement at 12:30 p.m. EST o*n Thursday, October 23, 2003.

Many of you realize that "The Players Tournament I" could be the greatest event in billiard history. This event will no doubt generate international media and sponsorship attention, as well as elevate the professional standards of the game immensely. For o*nce, players will earn the type of money other sports figures have enjoyed for decades.

Unfortunately however, I am no longer sure the players or the industry are ready to come out of the dark corners of the sports world and enter the light. Perhaps you prefer darkness and being broke. I've never seen anything like this in any industry. There is little or no trust among players. Everyone is terrified of being scammed, and newcomers to the industry like Right Action Management (which is composed of well-established business people), are treated like criminals trying to rip you off. When we formed Right Action Management (RAM), we researched demographics and realized there were over o*ne hundred million pool players worldwide, almost all of whom were busted and desperately needing a real opportunity. We took our lead from the poker world and offered an event similar to the World Series of Poker, thinking that since there were exponentially more pool players than poker players, the tournament should be a cinch. Were we ever wrong. Immediately, people began to question our motives, were upset we wanted to make a profit, and thought we would either run off with the money or feared they would not get paid. Apparently, these are realities in the pool industry for which we, newcomers to the industry, are being blamed. Additionally, as part of our business plan, we set up an escrow account so that all of the players' money would be safe. If we did not have a tournament because you were too scared to step up, you would be refunded your entry fee. All of the expenses came out of our pockets. All of the risk to date has been shouldered by us, while the pool world sits idly, waiting to "see if this thing happens." Guess what-if players don't enter the tournament, we won't have a tournament. Then all the doubters can rejoice in being right and stay right where they are-scared, angry, and broke.

Interesting also is the fact that the pool industry does not have a recognized and trusted organization that is set up to manage entry fees and payouts for large money events. Combine this with the fact that pool players sign up for events o*n the last day and you create a Catch 22 for big business. No serious organization is going to spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars to promote an event with no advance scheduling. Wake up, people. This problem has to change. A trusted organization like the BCA, for example, needs to hold entry fees in a trust account, and players need to sign up early for large events. With such a simple solution, everyone wins. Players would then know their money is safe. Promoters would then know their events are secure.

We have learned the above lesson the hard way. But there is certainly hope. Because Diamond Billiards is so well trusted in the industry, we have asked them, at this late date, to step up and handle all tournament monies, including entry fee collections and payouts. Diamond Billiards has agreed to perform this vital function. Therefore, all checks should be made out to Diamond Billiards and sent to their corporate offices at 2043 Silver St., New Albany, IN 47150. Diamond's phone number is (812) 945-6665. A note of clarity here: "The Players Tournament I" is wholly owned and managed by RAM. Diamond Billiards has agreed o*nly to provide tables and manage the monies as mentioned.

Here's the bottom line: We need 200 entries to have "The Players Tournament I," and we need these entries by October 31, 2003. If we do not have 200 entries by the 31, the tournament is off, and we all lose. At that point, Diamond Billiards will return all entry fees to the person who sent in the money.

I believe we all want this tournament to happen. With 200 entries, the following are the exact payouts of "The Players Tournament I:"

1st Place = 1 million dollars

2nd Place = $125,000

3rd Place = $50,000

4th Place = $30,000

5th -8th = $20,000

9th-16th = $15,000

17th - 32nd = $12,500

33rd-64th = $11,000

Total Prize Money = $1,957,000

(Based o*n 200 players, RAM has retained $43,000 to help offset expenses. This money will not even cover the room cost of the Pavilion at Caesars Palace. Therefore, RAM is taking a big gamble, and even with 200 players RAM will lose big time. But, most importantly, the event will happen, and next year we will all be in business. Also, if there are more than 200 entries, prize money will be adjusted accordingly.)

We have brought this concept as far as we can alone, and now we need you to contribute. Are you really players? Do you have any gamble at all? We believe you do! "The Players Tournament I" is the beginning of the big time for pool. ARE YOU IN OR OUT?

For more information, visit www.rightactionmanagement.com (http://www.rightactionmanagement.com)

Tom_In_Cincy
10-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Rick Breden of RAM wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Many of you realize that "The Players Tournament I" could be the greatest event in billiard history. This event will no doubt generate international media and sponsorship attention, as well as elevate the professional standards of the game immensely. For o*nce, players will earn the type of money other sports figures have enjoyed for decades.
<hr /></blockquote>

I just read your website that clearly states that there will be NO EXCEPTIONS to the Oct 15th DEADLINE for entries.

You posted this today, stating that you have an Oct 31st deadline NOW. Too bad you Business experiences didn't lead you to post this same message the week before OCT 15th. Too bad your planning and promotions and research didn't forsee or expect delays that forced you to readjust your "NO EXCEPTIONS" to the OCT 15th DEADLINE.

Too bad you had to learn about the POOL players, Pool promoters and Pool tournaments this late into your BIG adventure.

Too Bad you have to slam pool players because they decided not to put up $10,000.00 on an event that has NEVER happened before, is run by NON-Pool experienced businessmen that have resorted to slamming the very people that they have to depend on to be successful.

I see no business logic in your post. It's too late, too negative and damn right disrespectful.

Go back to your business plan and re-read the part that says... we have to have players put up $10,000.00 to make this successful. What did you do, other than display posters and flyers? and post in forums?

Too bad RAM isn't going to make any money.. from what I've read on your site.. you didn't even put up $10,000.00 into any kind of marketing or promotion schemes..

Ralph S.
10-24-2003, 10:42 PM
TAP!TAP!TAP! Well respondeded to Tom.

tateuts
10-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Whew, I smell a major stinker and a cancelled tournament.

Chris

spanky
10-25-2003, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RAM:</font><hr>

When we formed Right Action Management (RAM), we researched demographics and realized there were over o*ne hundred million pool players worldwide, almost all of whom were busted and desperately needing a real opportunity. We took our lead from the poker world and offered an event similar to the World Series of Poker, thinking that since there were exponentially more pool players than poker players, the tournament should be a cinch.

<hr /></blockquote>

First, If they thought everyone was "busted", how did they expect to get 512 players to pony up $10,000. Second, I still think poker is more luck in the cards, where pool is skill. Sure there is some skill needed in poker, but not like the average Joe entering a pool tourney with some of the pro's and hoping to have a chance to win.

I just think Mr. Breden is pissed that he isn't going to have a chance to cash out with a huge profit.

pooljunkie73
10-25-2003, 06:58 AM
Tap Tap Tap

Tom you hit the nail on the head.

Kent Mc.

bolo
10-25-2003, 08:37 AM
The comparison to poker is not valid. The players the promoter of a poker tournament aims at, already are used to putting up big money and gambling for it. I know of no pool players that on a daily basis gamble $10,000 or more as many poker players do. If this was their reasoning for putting together this pool tournament, I have no idea where they got the idea it would happen. I would like to see the demographic they did, that told them this would work. They are blaming the wrong people for what is looking like a potential failure. This whole idea was poorly conceived from the start and the critics won't be the cause of the failure. Their criticism in most every point is valid, it has nothing to do with trying to keep pool down, it is based on being realistic. The promoters seem to be in a world of their own and not at all in touch with reality. A bad idea is a bad idea and they are just now beginning to realize it and looking for someone to blame.

dg-in-centralpa
10-25-2003, 08:34 PM
No matter what happens, the pool players are going to be shafted, because we didn't support this crazy idea. I would love to meet anybody who will fork out $10,000 for a tournament of this kind. I would love to meet anybody who has $10,000 they don't know what to do with. I'll sell them an investment property.

DG - wouldn't play in this event even if I had a backer

L.S. Dennis
10-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I tend to agree with that. Pool by it's very nature unfortunately is a blue collar sport at best. Those with ten grand for fork out as disposable income will be few and far between in this sport.

Events like the Mosconi Cup are probably the best thing to happen to this sport thus far.

tateuts
10-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Bolo and Tom's posts on this tournament (in this thread and in the other one) and this subject in general have been right on the money.

In the new Billiards Digest there is an article on page 12 that is very disconcerting. There is discussion about a possible $1,000,000 guarantee being provided by an undisclosed source. If it exists, this money was referred to as a "$1 Million Added?". It is a definite, no questions asked, 100% guaranteed maybe. A real dangling carrot in case there are any donkeys out there.

There is an indication that close to 100 people have entered. The entrants names are not revealed and, according to Breden many they were stake horses who planned to invite top players. Charlie Williams and Scott Smith said they knew of no top tier players registered for the event.

There are so many red flags on this beach I don't think Mark Spitz would jump in the water.

Chris

Rod
10-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I got a spare 10 K, I just ain't dumb enough to invest it playing in a pool tournament. I think I'll use it to buy another car. Say DG, where did you say that land was? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Gerry
10-26-2003, 05:38 AM
I think I'll keep my $10K in an interest bearing account, and play in the U.S. Open with the money for the next 20 years!....BTW how much is the entry to the Open this year?......Gerry

AND COULD WE PLEASE ADD A 14.1 U.S. OPEN EVENT THIS YEAR?!

HiPockets
10-26-2003, 09:51 AM
$10,000? Mere pocket change for a man of my means. Will someone loan me a fin so I can get to the bank and get my entry fee.

dg-in-centralpa
10-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Rod - I sell real estate for a living. Let me know what you want and I'll find it, land/houses/apartments/office buildings. Property is much cheaper here than Phoenix.

DG - just doing my job

Chris in NC
10-27-2003, 12:45 PM
It's obvious that hardly any players (even the pros) would be in a position to ante up $10,000 for an entry fee to a tourney - even one that pays a million to the winner!

The key to having any chance of getting a decent amount of participation in this event is in having many, many poolrooms hosting numerous qualifiers around the country at a reasonable entry fee - $100 to $200 max per player. The winner of the qualifier wins a paid $10,000 entry fee.

The risk that the poolroom takes is that they need to draw at least 100 players at $100 each or at least 50 players at $200 each just to pay the winner's entry fee, not to mention all the other tournament related expenses and lost revenue from not having their normal play business.

Problem is for many poolrooms is that for this tourney to be successful in terms of participation numbers, it needs to attract a number of bar table players. However, the type of poolrooms that would be most likely to support a qualifying event like this (such as our room) may only have big tables to play on. The bar table players may be too intimidated to try and go up against top notch big table players on big tables - even though the final event in Vegas is to be played on bar tables.

The bottom line is that for pool players, even a $100 or $200 entry fee plus traveling expenses to a qualifier is a considerable investment for such a long shot - in which they know they know they'll have to knock off the proven top professional pool players in the world. Just my opinion. - Chris in NC