PDA

View Full Version : Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Movie Review (Spoilers)

Fred Agnir
10-25-2003, 07:39 AM
This may or may not have what might be deemed as Spoilers, so, if you don't want to read up on it... don't.

I will start by saying yet again Tarantino has created a movie unlike anything else ever created... other than Pulp Fiction of course.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 for those who hadn't heard it on the news was supposed to be one movie, but the length was such that Miramax found a way to squeeze it into two. If they didn't, I think it would have gone 3 1/2 hours. Unlike some other 3 1/2 hour movies, I don't think anyone would have noticed the length. But, hey, double the money and all.

On to some thoughts and reviews.

The movie is a whirlwind homage to virtually every martial arts and other Asian-made movies before it. The viewers will quickly be reminded of The Seven Samurai, Bruce Lee movies, especially The Game, the television series Kung Fu, and the very recent Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Kill Bill Vol.1 also includes almost an entire "chapter" in Japanese Anime'. Wow.

In much the same way he pays tribute to these movies, Tarantino also pays tribute to the different genres and techniques of film. Animation, voice-overs, narration, dubbing, black & white, spaghetti westerns. Tough to pull off in one movie as it would seem distracting, but it wasn't. Instead in the movie theater, I could hear a lot of murmuring of approval.

The movie has a very basic plot: girl who was done wrong goes out for revenge. The Tarantino Twist: The girl and all those who done her wrong are a group of the deadliest assassins.

The rest (of Vol. 1) is a fantastic spectacle of fighting action. You couldn't read the action off a screenplay or book. For blood and gore fans, this is your movie. For samurai sword fans, this is your movie. For action fans, this is most definitely your movie. For you romance, drama and comedy fans, may I suggest the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Fred

Kato
10-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Thanks Fred, I'll probably go see it now.

Kato

Hopster
10-26-2003, 12:47 AM
I didnt care for it and i was looking forward to seeing it.

JPB
10-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Yeah, tremendous film. The anime chapter was so well done it was scary. It developed Lucy Liu's character completely, and was an interesting study of the other characters. The whole thing was an amazing piece of filmmaking, but it wasn't just satire or homage. It was a coherent film in itself that used all the references to great effect. All the technique could have overshadowed the film, but it ended up enhancing the film. Many layers to this one. A must see. I may go again before it leaves the theaters. I will get it on DVD but it needs to be watched in the theater too.

Keith Talent
10-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Funny line about it in New Yorker review ... The movie is what's formally known as decadence and commonly known as crap.