PDA

View Full Version : Cue Chalk, what's your favorite brand?

Sean Murphy
10-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Anyone ever use Silver Cup chalk? I've used Masters forever but I heard Silver Cup is great stuff. Any input on this?

cuechick
10-25-2003, 11:21 AM
hate silver cup chalk way too soft... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sean Murphy
10-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Ahh...I figured it might be junk for the simple fact that I don't recall seeing it much. I like Triangle too. Anyone ever use Balabushka? I know it's just chalk but I have exacting standards. I hate crappy chalk.

cycopath
10-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Balabushka chalk is very fine chalk. Almost dust-like when applied. I don't like it myself.

Master is the best. Specifically blue color chalk.

Rod
10-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Sean,

This might be like asking what kind of tip do you use. LOL . Some people have to play with a certain color or the planets will collide. Others blame miscues on good chalk, their stroke definately needs work. Play with a chalk that goes with the color of cloth. I have never played with Silver Cup but if it goes on smooth, it's probably OK. I do like Masters, NTC, Triangle, to name a few.

Rod

Jimmy B
10-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Masters Blue, I don't even like the green, they don't mix well and none stick like the blue. JB

dg-in-centralpa
10-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Personally I've never used anything but Masters. I arry my own in case the chalk at a particular establishment is crappy or non existent.
DG - just my 2c

stickman
10-25-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm a Masters Blue type of guy, but I have some friends that like Silver Cip. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
10-26-2003, 01:17 AM
personally I'm a silver cup black man. The master always seemed to leave marks on the table with their black, but the SC hasn't given me any problems other than flying through it too fast.
Oh, and about how someone said certain people have to have a certain color, well my Tuesday team just happens to all have different colors (we didn't do it on purpose), but its funny during warm ups how you can look on the rail and see this rainbow of colors across it.

Rod
10-26-2003, 01:55 AM
sack, I rest my case! LOL

SPetty
10-26-2003, 05:53 AM
Masters Green, I don't even like the blue, they don't mix well and none stick like the green. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brent
10-26-2003, 09:11 AM
U guys are going to hate me now when u find out that I use masters grey /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like it because it keeps my hands and cue cleaner than blue. And I really enjoy the looks of the table after Im finished on it...like an ice-hockey rink /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Masters tan, cuz it plays well and keeps my shaft wood more neutral than either blue or green. I used green before the switch...sid

Rod
10-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Practicing earlier this week I picked out one green and one blue peice. I like both but prefer green, they both mix and stick well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

True story, they were the two best peices. Instead of sorting through this tub of used chalk, I found these two right on top!

Rod

snipershot
10-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Masters blue, I tried green and wasn't very pleased with the results.

Iowashark
10-27-2003, 10:35 AM
When I bought my table the dealer threw in a box of Silver Cup chalk, I had also just bought a new cue and for the longest time my tip wouldn't hold chalk. I was a day away from blowing 25 bucks on a Moori tip when my friend came over to play and brought his Masters Green. This chalk is the best and the tip holds it very well. Since then I've also tried Triangle which is also very good.

Dave~~~~~Takes the Silver Cup to the bar and makes fair swaps at the table for the Masters. Is that stealing? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

JimS
10-27-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm hooked on blue masters. I always have it with me and I always play with it. That's what they had 50 yrs ago at the ph so I got hooked early /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
10-27-2003, 12:51 PM
This is hilarious. This one likes Masters blue and doesn't like Masters green and this one loves Masters green but doesn't like blue.

I like blue, hate green (don't think it applies well at all), won't even go into a pool room with red chalk unless I can use my own. I carry a fresh cube of blue with me at all times.

When I saw tournaments sponsored by Silver Cup I'd always see players pull the chalk out of their pocket and not use the 2 on the table. Wonder why that is? Bet they used Masters /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~IMHO

RUNaRAK
10-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Masters tan for me too! It does not show up on my ferrule and keeps my shaft looking clean too. I have a table with deep red 860 Simonis and started out using Masters red. It turned my hands, shaft and ferrule pink. If you dropped it on my cream colored carpet, it left a nasty stain. My wife let me know about that one LOL!
I have always used Masters but am sure the others are probably fine too! I chalk after every shot so it is all pretty good for me.

Peace,

UWPoolGod
10-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Blue Master chalk is the only way to go. Can't believe people actually buy that lime green chalk..its like paste. LOL

cycopath
10-27-2003, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>won't even go into a pool room with red chalk unless I can use my own. <hr /></blockquote>

Man, that Master red chalk is terrible. It sticks all over everything but the tip.

UWPoolGod
10-27-2003, 01:54 PM
I heard that one of the local county bar that we will have to play one of our APA matches in had their tables recovered in red cloth. Then they bought red chalk...and then they changed the light bulbs to...you guessed it...RED! Can't wait to play in that nightmare.

Kato
10-27-2003, 01:56 PM
Amen Brother. I completely agree. Stains shafts, stains ferrules.

I had a cue that I called my "red table cue". It was a pretty good hitting Mali that I paid $100 for or so. The league I was playing at the time had to play against 2 teams in a pool room with red cloth. When I dropped that league I had to have the shaft sanded and the ferrule changed. Horrible.

Kato

c.holtz009
10-28-2003, 02:12 PM
I dunno if I'm out in left field with this but, I use Master's blue. The odd thing is I like the chalk that has an American flag on the cube. I've used the stuff with no flag on it, and the stuff with the flag seems better for some reason. I find it adheres better to the tip.
This could all be in my mind, but a couple of other people I've talked to have noticed the same thing.
Maybe I'm just nutz...

Wally_in_Cincy
10-28-2003, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> I dunno if I'm out in left field with this but, I use Master's blue. The odd thing is I like the chalk that has an American flag on the cube. I've used the stuff with no flag on it, and the stuff with the flag seems better for some reason. I find it adheres better to the tip.
This could all be in my mind, but a couple of other people I've talked to have noticed the same thing.
Maybe I'm just nutz... <hr /></blockquote>

There was an article in one of the mags called "What's in the case" where they had several pros describe what they carried around. Johnny Archer specifically mentioned old Master blue, referring to, I believe, the lighter blue, before the flag was put on. He preferred that.

At first I liked the old stuff better, but now, comparing them side by side, I think I can tell a slight difference in texture, but no discernable difference in performance.

Scott Lee
10-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Wally...I asked Skip Nemecek, owner of Tweeten (makes Master Chalk), and he said there is NO difference. He just decided to print some of the labels with an American flag, after 9/11. He didn't do all the runs with the flag, just some...but it is EXACTLY the same chalk. The "old Master" JA was referring to is 20 yrs old, and has a slightly different texture, and a VERY slightly different color red label. Old or new, Masters is still the best, imo.

Scott