PDA

View Full Version : young pool players

mike8944
10-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew of any events or tournaments that a 17 year old could sign-up for. I'm tired of beating family and friends, and I would like to start playing some higher competition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

UTAddb
10-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Hey, I'm 17 too. I play in college tournaments and local poolhall tournaments, but nothing that big. A lot of poolhalls will let you in if you just play in the tournament. There is the junior nationals in the spring. There will be qualifiers for it (9-ball) across the nation and if you win any one of those you go to junior nationals. This is all at bca-pool.com Hope that helps.

NH_Steve
10-26-2003, 05:58 AM
There was kid -- reportedly only twelve or so -- entered in the Joss tour tournament at Quincy MA this weekend. I know he got by one match, as I watched it. What with Parica, Zuglan, Hernandez and other top northeast players in there, he's up against some tough company.

He shot very straight, and I liked that he 'shadow marked' the table to visualize his desired position, but he seemed to rush his shots once in a while, and easily got frustrated -- but hey, the kid is only twelve?!?! Wow, that's really all I can say, if he keeps up with the game, and hopefully gets some good coaching he certainly will be a top contender -- maybe sooner rather than later. I only hope he gets responsible coaching, and doesn't fall into some of the shenanigans and worse distractions that some young players seem to see their careers get derailed by...

Rich R.
10-26-2003, 07:23 AM
I believe you could enter many of the Open tournaments around, however, a parent would have to go with you and stay with you during the tournament.
Check with the management of the room and the tournament, before going.

Brent
10-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Im 19 years old and play in every event that is held on Estonian soil /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SRpool
10-26-2003, 02:27 PM
You can play in any tournament that is in your area. The more tournaments you get to, whether they are big or small, the better your game will get. I started playing in somewhat bigger tournaments when I was about 13. The BCA junior nationals is a good tournament too. Hopefully they will get the scholarship fund back sometime soon. Playing in that tournament for 9 years helped me pay for college. Good luck.

Sarah Rousey